BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Does anyone have any idea what time the Proterra will be out? 

Chances are it'll go out in the afternoon rush. Yesterday it took a bit of down time for a driver change in the midday so maybe that's what's going on now.

That said, I don't know for sure...

1 hour ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Nothing worse than finally finding a driver who knows how to step on the gas and use that bus for it all it's worth...only to have the new pick come out and never see the guy again.

Yes, and Yonkers tries to switch up the drivers too. There are about five or six really cool B/O's that I get, mostly Puerto Rican and Dominican and a few black guys, but most of them don't appear to have seniority, so you don't get them consistently.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, and Yonkers tries to switch up the drivers too. There are about five or six really cool B/O's that I get, mostly Puerto Rican and Dominican and a few black guys, but most of them don't appear to have seniority, so you don't get them consistently.

Apparently, it pays to be on the VR (vacation relief) list or the "X" (extra list) up there at Yonkers. I could be totally wrong, but from what is being described with missing/uncovered runs, it sounds like the extra list/vacation relief are highly sought after, which is somewhat common during certain picks throughout the year. 

On 1/8/2018 at 5:59 PM, MHV9218 said:

Rode a Quill LFS on the M8 today. These buses can't even be compared to RTSes in regular service. Barely any interior space, immediately crowded with people, insane cramped backwards-facing rear set setup, horrible jerky transmission, rough brakes--major loss for Quill giving up those 5200s. 

Yeah those LFS really suck. I'm partial the the artics, but the 40ft can blow....

Edited by Missabassie

4 hours ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

One poorly parked truck or any double parker on Chambers + M22 behind it = shitshow

That street needs to either one way or no parking along its entirety 

I know what you mean. I took the B6 this week and there was a truck slanted double parked. It held up traffic like nothing and the driver didn’t care. Now I’ve been seeing cop cars patrolling the area to give tickets out. 

Funny you bring that up, yesterday I was talking to a bus operator I know out of QV, and he thinks the bus lanes are a waist.  He said the cops never enforce people who double park, drive and block the bus lanes on the sbs-Q44. Its good they are starting to crack down on these people who don't know the meaning of "bus lanes."

46 minutes ago, Ladywolf said:

Funny you bring that up, yesterday I was talking to a bus operator I know out of QV, and he thinks the bus lanes are a waist.  He said the cops never enforce people who double park, drive and block the bus lanes on the sbs-Q44. Its good they are starting to crack down on these people who don't know the meaning of "bus lanes."

Bus lanes are a waste when they aren't enforced by the NYPD.  The problem is that the way things are set up here, you have to constantly make sure the street is marked properly (the markers are worn out rather quickly).  The whole thing is an expensive endeavor, which is why the NYPD should be more aggressive in handing out tickets in the first place to generate revenue and keep cars out of the bus lanes.

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Bus lanes are a waste when they aren't enforced by the NYPD.  The problem is that the way things are set up here, you have to constantly make sure the street is marked properly (the markers are worn out rather quickly).  The whole thing is an expensive endeavor, which is why the NYPD should be more aggressive in handing out tickets in the first place to generate revenue and keep cars out of the bus lanes.

Not only bus lanes but also bus stops. It could be a serious hazard when you have cars blocking bus stops and people exit the rear and can’t get out or are in the street. One time I got off a bus and was stuck in between the rear doors and a car. The car moved back but what if I was seriously injured while the driver was doing so. 

2 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Not only bus lanes but also bus stops. It could be a serious hazard when you have cars blocking bus stops and people exit the rear and can’t get out or are in the street. One time I got off a bus and was stuck in between the rear doors and a car. The car moved back but what if I was seriously injured while the driver was doing so. 

With all of these damn Uber and black cars around, they have no sense of anything.  They block bus stops and just sit there waiting for pick-ups.  It's extremely frustrating when you get one or two buses an hour scheduled, and then when the bus is due, you have these stupid cars potentially impeding you from catching your bus.  I've been following meetings regarding Uber and the like being held with the City Council, and they simply are not moving fast enough to regulate these cars.  They have carte blanche to do as they please. No accountability.  All of this nonsense is why bus ridership continues to decline.  Too much aggravation involved to get a bus and then get on it.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

With all of these damn Uber and black cars around, they have no sense of anything.  They block bus stops and just sit there waiting for pick-ups.  It's extremely frustrating when you get one or two buses an hour scheduled, and then when the bus is due, you have these stupid cars potentially impeding you from catching your bus.  I've been following meetings regarding Uber and the like being held with the City Council, and they simply are not moving fast enough to regulate these cars.  They have carte blanche to do as they please. No accountability.  All of this nonsense is why bus ridership continues to decline.  Too much aggravation involved to get a bus and then get on it.

Could do it like in Vegas where there was a specific spot to get an Uber. Couldn’t call them anywhere. 

Just now, Brillant93 said:

Could do it like in Vegas where there was a specific spot to get an Uber. Couldn’t call them anywhere. 

It's done similarly in Italy for taxis anyway.  You go to a taxi stand and just wait and taxis will pull up like clockwork.  If you need one, you call in advance otherwise and they come to the exact address provided. Once they've arrived, the meter starts running immediately. That's the incentive for you to get in and not have them standing around waiting, as the meter goes up roughly every ten seconds.  I took taxis a handful of times there because it is expensive for very short rides. Here on the other hand, you can get dirt cheap rides if you're willing to do Uber pools.

Was passing by Canarsie and saw cones over at some bus stops around Remsen Avenue and 80th Street bus stops. Looks like they’re setting up the bases for the sbs machines. Also Kings hwy and nostrand is getting reworked for its pedestrian islands and that has been going on since last December. Nice to see some sbs development going on in my part of the borough. 

Bus 650 out of College point seems to have screens similar to those on 572. I remember reading about the latest batch of C40LFs getting the info screens retrofitted. It has a small screen above the bus map and a wide screen about halfway through the bus mounted on the ceiling. The small screen seemed to have the MTA safety ad displayed and was likely scrolling through them, while the larger screen was white with "Luminator" and "Infomedia" displayed on it.

3 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Was passing by Canarsie and saw cones over at some bus stops around Remsen Avenue and 80th Street bus stops. Looks like they’re setting up the bases for the sbs machines. Also Kings hwy and nostrand is getting reworked for its pedestrian islands and that has been going on since last December. Nice to see some sbs development going on in my part of the borough. 

I frequent in Canarsie a lot and I can tell you one thing.  There hasn't been talk about +SBS+  to hit the B17. The 17 doesn't even have limited service. So for that route to get SBS is beyond me. 

Sorry 😐 but not sorry. I don't see the 17 getting +SBS+ service. 

52 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I frequent in Canarsie a lot and I can tell you one thing.  There hasn't been talk about +SBS+  to hit the B17. The 17 doesn't even have limited service. So for that route to get SBS is beyond me. 

Sorry 😐 but not sorry. I don't see the 17 getting +SBS+ service. 

The B82 is getting SBS, not the B17.