BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I ride the B42 every day and I can say that they aren't lying in that article. The little bottleneck between Flatlands and Glenwood on Rockaway Parkway plays a factor. I can tell you multiple occasions where the B42 hasn't ran like it's supposed to.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I'd be careful saying that on here if I were you! Although Transit Division 33 is supposed to control that station however, they don't. I did something like that back in the day and I got a warning. This time they send you to TD33 than straight to Downtown Brooklyn for processing. 

Nowadays transit dosen't pay much attention anymore. Even the NYPD is slacking as a pair were checking for fare evaders (or rather "supposed to check for jumping fare-evaders") but both their backs were turned and a handful were able to get away easily.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Better wording

6 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Nowadays transit dosen't pay much attention anymore. Even the NYPD is slacking as a pair were checking for fare evaders (or rather "supposed to check for jumping fare-evaders") but both their backs were turned and a handful were able to get away easily.

Give the new (MTA) prez 6 mos to learn the system and you will see significant changes on fare evasion and it could mean jail time. Look at his progress in Toronto 🇨🇦, Australia 🇦🇺 and London 🇬🇧. 

14 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Just saw MCI coach 2895 on third ave in the city, signed up as an M103. It looks like it's in service. Couldn't get a pic, and not sure if it's a codebreak or a cool service change due to the expected snow that never came.  

Codebreak. It's currently doing the x28.

Ive been noticing as of late some East New York buses have no rear ads. I'm only guess is that will the (MTA) consider going back to rear wraps with the RTS in 2018. I think the last time this happen was 2014 if my memory serves me correct and during that time period. Most of Manhattan Division along with East New York and Flatbush had rear wraps. 

Also, will the Brooklyn Division get a crack on the driver side wraps as seen in Manhattan and more of driver side roof exterior ads? I've notice they are putting more 30x244 king wrap ads on the driver side.  

28 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Ive been noticing as of late some East New York buses have no rear ads. I'm only guess is that will the (MTA) consider going back to rear wraps with the RTS in 2018. I think the last time this happen was 2014 if my memory serves me correct and during that time period. Most of Manhattan Division along with East New York and Flatbush had rear wraps. 

Also, will the Brooklyn Division get a crack on the driver side wraps as seen in Manhattan and more of driver side roof exterior ads? I've notice they are putting more 30x244 king wrap ads on the driver side.  

Lots of buses have lost rear ads lately. MV and MQ the same story, also door-side ads missing on a lot of buses. Probably just a lapsed moment in the ad cycle, happens every few years. Most interesting is when it's the front ads, but that's been a while. Not sure if that means wraps are returning. 

This was a couple years ago, when removed ads meant 6418 (one of the last green-dot OGs to get the new scheme) ran around naked--rare to see an early O7 in that paint job!

IMG_1397_zps05a1d0de.jpg

On 1/17/2018 at 2:07 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Give the new (MTA) prez 6 mos to learn the system and you will see significant changes on fare evasion and it could mean jail time. Look at his progress in Toronto 🇨🇦, Australia 🇦🇺 and London 🇬🇧. 

I came across this article: https://www.pressreader.com/canada/toronto-star/20171216/282784946826181

It appears that Toronto went to all door boarding and evasion "increased"?  The people that the writer did not see pay could have monthlies?

On 1/18/2018 at 5:06 PM, MHV9218 said:

Lots of buses have lost rear ads lately. MV and MQ the same story, also door-side ads missing on a lot of buses. Probably just a lapsed moment in the ad cycle, happens every few years. Most interesting is when it's the front ads, but that's been a while. Not sure if that means wraps are returning. 

This was a couple years ago, when removed ads meant 6418 (one of the last green-dot OGs to get the new scheme) ran around naked--rare to see an early O7 in that paint job!

IMG_1397_zps05a1d0de.jpg

1). That's a clean picture of 6418 on 5th Ave.

2). You do have a point that right now it is a slow period for ads. I was just in the city this past week and saw a few buses from MHV & MQ with no ads at all. With exception of the newer XD60's that are in there hasn't been an ad touched on those buses. I guess those would argue that maintenance is not ready yet with the new color scheme if ads were to be put on the newer buses. You have transit systems like WMATA and MUNI (SF) have similar paint like these new MTA XD40/60's and they managed to find a way to put ads on their buses. I'm starting to feel that the (MTA) is losing it's touch when it comes to putting ads on it's newest buses when they are delivered.

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if just less people wanted to advertise on buses. The trend these days is targeted ads, and a bus moving around the city is possibly the least targeted ad you could do, as opposed to bus stops, train stops, billboards, sidewalks, social media, etc.

Good point there @bobtehpanda  

On 1/18/2018 at 8:33 AM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Currently behind an M34 LFSA that has the rear sign reading

M34

+SELECT

FDR DRIVE

is this a new thing that could potentially spread to other routes?

I saw an M34A displaying Waterside on the back sign today.

34 minutes ago, Calvin said:

With MJQ getting the new LFSA, it makes you wonder if the SBS LFSAs will be unwrapped for local service. 

Based on what was released, it looks like all the "old" LFSAs will get unwrapped at some point and will be replaced by the XD/XE60s and the newer LFSAs.