BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

34 minutes ago, VIA 7 AV said:

The B41 extension to Sheapshead Bay is already a bad idea. The ratio of buses terminating at Knapp Street to buses ending at Kings Plaza are way off. I needed to get to Flatbush and Avenue U and I had to wait while ten Knapp Street bound buses passed before one to KP showed up. 

And the trips to Knapp Street are out of Jackie Gleason depot...

Nice try.... 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, VIA 7 AV said:

The B41 extension to Sheapshead Bay is already a bad idea. The ratio of buses terminating at Knapp Street to buses ending at Kings Plaza are way off. I needed to get to Flatbush and Avenue U and I had to wait while ten Knapp Street bound buses passed before one to KP showed up. 

And the trips to Knapp Street are out of Jackie Gleason depot...

What B41 extension to Sheepshead?? I'm lost. The 41 doesn't go to Knapp Street I last checked.  Also, the B4 should be based out of Flatbush. The B44 and the B4 practically stop within blocks of each other and it's a easier deadhead from the Sheepshead Bay end. 

Just heard the MTA is taking over the dollar vans as well. To help with declining ridership and paratransit issues all dollar vans would be used only for elderly people. While everyone else is stuck to wait for buses since the MTA believes physically young and fit people are better off walking better service will be coming to the elderly. The current vans will go through what the private lines went through back in the 2000s during the take over and have MTA logos on them until the MTA orders new vans. The system would work as older people would stand on a corner, hail a jitney from the corner, and pay when they get off for only $0.65. 

The MTA also would like for everyone else they haven't forgotten them. They said better bus service is coming in about 20 to 30 years. The reason for such a long time is because of reasons. 

I learned of this as of April 1st 2018. 

1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

Just heard the MTA is taking over the dollar vans as well. To help with declining ridership and paratransit issues all dollar vans would be used only for elderly people. While everyone else is stuck to wait for buses since the MTA believes physically young and fit people are better off walking better service will be coming to the elderly. The current vans will go through what the private lines went through back in the 2000s during the take over and have MTA logos on them until the MTA orders new vans. The system would work as older people would stand on a corner, hail a jitney from the corner, and pay when they get off for only $0.65. 

The MTA also would like for everyone else they haven't forgotten them. They said better bus service is coming in about 20 to 30 years. The reason for such a long time is because of reasons. 

I learned of this as of April 1st 2018. 

Nice try, dude.... not falling for it.

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if Gun Hill is moving out the 6000 XD-60s to other depots (similar to ENY with the LFS)

Also, the XD-60s were mostly on the Bx5 and Bx22 

I believe those XD60's they have are supposed to head Manhattan (MJQ) bound than eventually to East New York cuz technically GH has East New York buses. 

Only if the XD60's that are currently at Grand Avenue were moving to East New York. At least they can have 12 buses in addition to the XD40's that are coming for SBS service for summertime pick. 

23 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Yeah but I thought Manhattanville depot were going to be the first ones to test those. Why is GA testing them?

Take a look at the first page of the Fleets and Depots thread. The reason they are going to GA is that the depot is now the Bus Operations Engineering Headquaters. In addition, the fate of Manhattanville depot is uncertain due to potential closure of the depot should Columbia University opt to purchase the land the depot is on now.

28 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Yeah but I thought Manhattanville depot were going to be the first ones to test those. Why is GA testing them?

Take a look at the first page of the Fleets and Depots thread. The reason they are going to GA is that the depot is now the Bus Operations Engineering Headquaters. In addition, the fate of Manhattanville depot is uncertain due to a potential closure of the depot should Columbia University opt to purchase the land the depot is on now for expansion of their campus.

11 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Take a look at the first page of the Fleets and Depots thread. The reason they are going to GA is that the depot is now the Bus Operations Engineering Headquaters. In addition, the fate of Manhattanville depot is uncertain due to a potential closure of the depot should Columbia University opt to purchase the land the depot is on now for expansion of their campus.

But has the Mta confirmed that they will let Columbia buy that land where MHV is standing right now?

2 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

But has the Mta confirmed that they will let Columbia buy that land where MHV is standing right now?

They haven't confirmed anything, but there's more to the XDE40s going to GA than that. As @JeremiahC99 said GA is currently the Bus Operations Engineering HQ. Besides, they also have the XD40s so training on these buses shouldn't take too much time as opposed to MHV where many operators probably haven't driven an Xcelsior.

1 minute ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

They haven't confirmed anything, but there's more to the XDE40s going to GA than that. As @JeremiahC99 said GA is currently the Bus Operations Engineering HQ. Besides, they also have the XD40s so training on these buses shouldn't take too much time as opposed to MHV where many operators probably haven't driven an Xcelsior.

Oh ok I see. What will happen after testing is over?