BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 minute ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

They haven't confirmed anything, but there's more to the XDE40s going to GA than that. As @JeremiahC99 said GA is currently the Bus Operations Engineering HQ. Besides, they also have the XD40s so training on these buses shouldn't take too much time as opposed to MHV where many operators probably haven't driven an Xcelsior.

Oh ok I see. What will happen after testing is over?

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What is a good app tied into Bustime that also allows you to see the bus number of a bus on the route you are tracking? 

The mobile bustime website does not show the bus number, or allow you to track a specific bus. 

Just use the BusTime app in desktop mode. That's what I do. It will show you the bus # when you click on the bus icon, along with the new three stops and roughly how long it'll take to arrive at those stops. Unlike the mobile version, when you click on the bus you want, it will update in real time.

A guy that takes the BxM18 uses one that gives you all sorts of things. I can't remember the name at the moment, but when I see him again I'll ask him. There was one that I had on my old phone that would show your bus stop and every bus that was coming and when it was due to arrive. You being on Union Turnpike, you could track the QM5 and QM6 simultaneously. I would do that in the mornings for the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

11 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What is a good app tied into Bustime that also allows you to see the bus number of a bus on the route you are tracking? 

The mobile bustime website does not show the bus number, or allow you to track a specific bus. 

Use the transit app, its more reliable and worthwhile. Can't see the bus numbers but you can track a bus. 

13 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

TransSee works well for this, but you have to refresh it manually.

17 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Transit Tracker. It may not be available for all devices, but if you're able to, you should download it. Gives you bus numbers, and allows you to track a specific bus too.

18 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Transit tracker for MTA. Can easily track an individual unit when clicking vehicle 

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

If you're on Android, there's the mobile bustime app(which works okay for what it is), along with.....

Transit Tracker-MTA
CityTransit
OneBusAway

The last two I use when I travel to other cities, but they work very well with NYMTA.

Edited by Cait Sith

15 hours ago, Statty said:

All this talk about MHV depot and it's possible closure, I'm curious as to if we hear any news about new buses anytime soon for MHV. Fingers crossed tho.

I think that Manhattanville, if it won't be closed, may get displaced Orion VII NG Hybrids from Yukon (70) and other depots. The 62 Orion VII OG Hybrids (6365-6426) are next to retire, so it may be possible that those 70 buses will go there once the Nova LFS buses arrive and are assigned to Staten Island, if Harlem does not want anymore diesel buses in their area. I think that if the depot may not close, then it will be possible that Manhattanville will be 100% hybrid buses, like it is now, but we shall wait and see.

15 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I think that Manhattanville, if it won't be closed, may get displaced Orion VII NG Hybrids from Yukon (70) and other depots. The 62 Orion VII OG Hybrids (6365-6426) are next to retire, so it may be possible that those 70 buses will go there once the Nova LFS buses arrive and are assigned to Staten Island, if Harlem does not want anymore diesel buses in their area. I think that if the depot may not close, then it will be possible that Manhattanville will be 100% hybrid buses, like it is now, but we shall wait and see.

That sounds about right. But isn't Manhattanville already a diesel depot? Also correct me if I'm wrong but I heard from someone else that Manhattanville in the near future is getting Novas and XD40s is that somewhat true?

28 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

That sounds about right. But isn't Manhattanville already a diesel depot? Also correct me if I'm wrong but I heard from someone else that Manhattanville in the near future is getting Novas and XD40s is that somewhat true?

Just wait and see. We're not the MTA, we don't have all of the answers.

1 hour ago, MHV184 said:

My understanding was that they aren't allowed to run straight diesels because the residents raise the issue of health and the environment (in addition to the fact that it looks bad to replace hybrids with diesels...). Just as well, it's not like Manhattanville buses are always moving fast with few stops and free-flowing traffic. They're one of the depots where hybrid buses make sense from an economic and environmental standpoint.

47 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

My understanding was that they aren't allowed to run straight diesels because the residents raise the issue of health and the environment (in addition to the fact that it looks bad to replace hybrids with diesels...). Just as well, it's not like Manhattanville buses are always moving fast with few stops and free-flowing traffic. They're one of the depots where hybrid buses make sense from an economic and environmental standpoint.

Mother Clara Hale Depot also has this problem. When they reopened the depot, they had to prioritize the assignment of hybrid buses to that depot for the local routes (M1 and M7).

But didn’t the community around the depot have a concern with diesel articulated buses at that depot (as the MTA has no articulated hybrid buses)?

Edited by JeremiahC99

hV_umRMvSKVwsfAr5ah-NDE6zjNd87OlJnkGlKf2

Even during the day time, when school is out for a week, and people are away the MTA still cannot run this damn B41 right. At this point I think its management who needs to start growing a backbone. I'm not looking for perfection but waiting 20 minutes for a bus is shameful.  

10 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

When a bus is not in service, what is the distinction between a Not In Service and MTA Bus/NYCT Bus front sign?

Technically there's no difference in what the sign displays. Supervison will know you are performing a sanctioned deadhead/pull in or pull out regardless of what the operator chooses to display on the destination sign. I prefer to use a combination of the p/r (public relations) code for 'next bus please' and the regular destination sign code for 'not in service' 

23 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Technically there's no difference in what the sign displays. Supervison will know you are performing a sanctioned deadhead/pull in or pull out regardless of what the operator chooses to display on the destination sign. I prefer to use a combination of the p/r (public relations) code for 'next bus please' and the regular destination sign code for 'not in service' 

Do B/Os ever get in trouble for using codebreak signs or other forms of clearly incorrect signs when they are deadheading? I get a kick out of those signs,  but I can see it confusing or annoying people. 

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Do B/Os ever get in trouble for using codebreak signs or other forms of clearly incorrect signs when they are deadheading? I get a kick out of those signs,  but I can see it confusing or annoying people. 

I wonder this as well.  I just saw a bus deadheading back in Queens with "X81 Randalls Island" on its destination sign.