BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/6/2018 at 6:34 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Do B/Os ever get in trouble for using codebreak signs or other forms of clearly incorrect signs when they are deadheading? I get a kick out of those signs,  but I can see it confusing or annoying people. 

Not that I've ever heard of. I'd assume you would if you were in passenger service, but as far as DHD's, P/O's or P/I's... Not at all. I personally enjoy using the x80, x7 (west midtown) and 'LIRR To Lawrence' codes when i pull out & in. I've never gotten any static from yard SLD's or superintendents, G/S or otherwise. 

On 4/6/2018 at 11:15 PM, Around the Horn said:

In some cases (particularly BX13 YANKEE STD) it's a glitch.

Not necessarily true. There are some operators who used to work MaBSTOA, particularly Kingsbridge who remember the Bx13 Yankee Stadium code (313_... I forget it at the moment) the bx13 and bx6 both have Yankee stadium codes, btw so it definitely could be an intentional code entry

2 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Not necessarily true. There are some operators who used to work MaBSTOA, particularly Kingsbridge who remember the Bx13 Yankee Stadium code (313_... I forget it at the moment) the bx13 and bx6 both have Yankee stadium codes, btw so it definitely could be an intentional code entry

There are some buses where if you put the code for the I heart NY sign, you get the Bx13 instead, but there are definitely ops who put it up on purpose too.

2 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I got called once during a deadhead to take the I Love NY sign down. One month during fall pick, they were going mad hard for signs. 

2 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

I got called once during a deadhead to take the I Love NY sign down. One month during fall pick, they were going mad hard for signs. 

Truthfully and honestly. What's the big deal with not having the I Love NY sign on a deadhead. I mean the bus is already out of service.

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Smh i remember a few years back in Manhattan division, they were on a proper signage trip... This is the first I've heard of it recently tbh.. with the things some operators are getting away with uniform wise, I'm borderline shocked they'd bitch out over code usage these days

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Do buses that don't run late at night on Sundays, but on weekdays run unitl 1-2 am, run on Monday morning?

Nope. This used to be an issue on the 24-hour routes, but the more recent MTA schedules somewhat solve that issue (of guessing which trips run and which don't on Monday Mornings).

However, they gotta fix some of the schedules, as some of the schedules initially look like overnight service is halved, but in reality, one half is listed first, while the other half is at the end of the respective timetable. Maybe that's another way of deterring ridership. That, and the outdated schedules the MTA purposely posts for the Queens express buses after taking down the accurate bus schedules.

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Nope. This used to be an issue on the 24-hour routes, but the more recent MTA schedules somewhat solve that issue (of guessing which trips run and which don't on Monday Mornings).

However, they gotta fix some of the schedules, as some of the schedules initially look like overnight service is halved, but in reality, one half is listed first, while the other half is at the end of the respective timetable. Maybe that's another way of deterring ridership. That, and the outdated schedules the MTA purposely posts for the Queens express buses after taking down the accurate bus schedules.

The Bus materials need a graphic design manual of their own. The materials have always gotten the least love and generally look pretty terrible.

Compare the current Manhattan bus map to one from the '70s, when it was much more stripped back and readable:

bus-1976man4.jpg

An update on express bus routes I’ve ridden:

Bronx: BxM2, BxM4, BxM8

Brooklyn: BM2, X27, X28, X37

Queens: QM4, QM6, X63

Staten Island: All except the X3, X4, X23, and X24, (Technically, the X30 as it didn’t follow its normal due to an accident outside the Lincoln tunnel).

Edited by S78 via Hylan

14 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

An update on express bus routes I’ve ridden:

Bronx: BxM2, BxM4, BxM8

Brooklyn: BM2, X27, X28, X37

Queens: QM4, QM6, X63

Staten Island: All except the X4, X23, and X24, (Technically, the X30 as it didn’t follow its normal due to an accident outside the Lincoln tunnel).

There are definitely more transit fans running around on the express buses.  I don't know why but some of them seem to ride the BxM18 at night.  

Lines I've ridden:

Riverdale: BxM1, BxM2, BxM18

Bronx: BxM3, BxM4, BxM6, BxM8, BxM10, BxM11

Brooklyn: BM1, BM3, BM4, BM5 (From Woodhaven), X25, X27, X28, X29

Queens: QM1, QM2, QM5, QM6, QM15, X68

Staten Island: X1, X2, X9, X10 (all branches), X11, X12, X13, X14, X15, X16, X17 (all branches), X30, X42

14 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There are definitely more transit fans running around on the express buses.  I don't know why but some of them seem to ride the BxM18 at night.

I think I’m one of them. The BxM4 and BxM8 are my escape routes if the (4)(B)(D) and (6) are jacked up. As for the BxM18, I’ll have to try that one at some point.

1 minute ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I think I’m one of them. The BxM4 and BxM8 are my escape routes if the (4)(B)(D) and (6) are jacked up. As for the BxM18, I’ll have to try that one at some point.

No, don't! lol No offense but there's enough people fanning that line for whatever reason taking up all of the damn seats at night.

Kind of miss riding the full BxM18..... The BxMc4 also (when it went inside the WP transcenter, that is).... The only way I can do any type of after-work 'fanning anymore is if I temporarily stop driving to work & start taking the LIRR again.... bleh sick0020.gifsick0020.gif

Lol @ more people fanning express buses nowadays though.... Before, the narrative was that they were this exorbitant luxury.... Now they're being used more as an "escape" from the subways.

Edited by B35 via Church

13 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Kind of miss riding the full BxM18..... The BxMc4 also (when it went inside the WP transcenter, that is).... The only way I can do any type of after-work 'fanning anymore is if I temporarily stop driving to work & start taking the LIRR again.... bleh sick0020.gifsick0020.gif

Lol @ more people fanning express buses nowadays though.... Before, the narrative was that they were this exorbitant luxury.... Now they're being used more as an "escape" from the subways.

I know and the irony isn't lost on me.  I've been noticing fuller than usual express buses.  It's a combination of people running from the horrendous subways, people moving up earlier to get to work and elsewhere, and all of the nut jobs riding the subways and the overpriced MNRR and LIRR trains.  I took the subway four times yesterday and in just about every instance, there was either a homeless person or a mentally disturbed person either on the platform or on the subway itself. 

20 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

For me, it's as follows:

Bronx: BxM1, BxM3, BxM10, BxM11

Queens: QM2, QM4, QM6

Brooklyn: BM2

SI: All except the X2, X15, X23, X24 (I never rode the X6, X16, X18, or X20 when they existed)

For me: 

Riverdale: BxM1, BxM2

Yonkers/Bronx:  BxM3, BxM4, BxM6, BxM7/A, BxM8, BxM10, BxM11 

Brooklyn: (Home routes) BM1, BM2, BM2S, (When it exisited within Canarsie), BM3, BM5

Queens: QM2, QM3, x63, x64. All others, didn't peak my interest  

Staten Isl: X1, X2, and X17 (SI Mall). 

40 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I know and the irony isn't lost on me.  I've been noticing fuller than usual express buses.  It's a combination of people running from the horrendous subways, people moving up earlier to get to work and elsewhere, and all of the nut jobs riding the subways and the overpriced MNRR and LIRR trains.  I took the subway four times yesterday and in just about every instance, there was either a homeless person or a mentally disturbed person either on the platform or on the subway itself. 

That's one of the main reasons why I stopped taking the (2) in the morning to the LIRR, before I ultimately stopped taking mass transit to/from work altogether..... Catching a dollar cab & taking it to Church av. for the (Q) to get to Atlantic Terminal (to avoid the (2)) around that same time (5:00-5:30am slot) instead, wasn't any better when it came to the amt. of homeless on 'em.... I'd say it was more or less the same.....

I'll be completely honest.... It angered me to no end that I ended up standing on a train around 5 in the freakin morning & the rate at which it kept happening was only getting worse..... That all led up to me walking over to Kings County & catching the B12 to LIRR ENY more..... Which meant dealing with the charades & tomfoolery going on with that route, esp. during the PM rush/for the ride back home.... Ended up getting sick of that shit in conjunction with the constantly late/delayed LIRR trains (and the Islander fans that likely STILL don't know that Atlantic Terminal is a] the stop... b] the last stop of the train.... for them to get off, so they can root for their team... yeah, can't forget those good folks :rolleyes:)....

...and that's my story.... lol....

Edited by B35 via Church

5 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

That's one of the main reasons why I stopped taking the (2) in the morning to the LIRR, before I ultimately stopped taking mass transit to/from work altogether..... Catching a dollar cab & taking it to Church av. for the (Q) to get to Atlantic Terminal (to avoid the (2)) around that same time (5:00-5:30am slot) wasn't any better when it came to the amt. of homeless on 'em.... I'd say it was more or less the same.....

I'll be completely honest.... It angered me to no end that I ended up standing on a train around 5 in the freakin morning..... That all led up to me walking over to Kings County & catching the B12 to LIRR ENY more..... Which meant dealing with the charades & tomfoolery going on with that route during the PM rush/for the ride back home.... Ended up getting sick of that shit in conjunction with the constantly late/delayed LIRR trains (and the Islander fans... can't forget those good folks :rolleyes:)....

...and that's my story.... lol....

I like getting Downtown to shop on weekends before the crowd hits, but I hate taking the subway down there from the BxM2.  I may just bite the bullet and start getting an Uber to and from.  I'll have to plan it though because I don't want to be sitting around in traffic either.

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I like getting Downtown to shop on weekends before the crowd hits, but I hate taking the subway down there from the BxM2.  I may just bite the bullet and start getting an Uber to and from.  I'll have to plan it though because I don't want to be sitting around in traffic either.

I hear you.

It sucks man, but what are we gonna do? Now I don't want to make like doing all this driving is the crème de la crème either... While Hillside is a breeze coming home for the most part, Atlantic av. from the Van Wyck (where it Atlantic begins/ends) on into Brooklyn isn't any fun....  and I gave up on driving down through Garden City & Hempstead from Mineola to get to the Southern State for the Belt.....

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

I hear you.

It sucks man, but what are we gonna do? Now I don't want to make like doing all this driving is the crème de la crème either... While Hillside is a breeze coming home for the most part, Atlantic av. from the Van Wyck (where it Atlantic begins/ends) on into Brooklyn isn't any fun....  and I gave up on driving down through Garden City & Hempstead from Mineola to get to the Southern State for the Belt.....

Speaking of driving, the one thing I've been keeping an eye out for are the squeegee men.  I've seen a few here and there on the exit ramps on the Deegan if you can believe it. Not regularly, but I was tempted to believe that they too had made a come back... Just imagine... We'd be going back to the "good old days" for sure. :lol: