BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

It depends on the operator's seniority & the availability of the run. Also, it depends on what the operator wants to pick. If you have enough seniority, yes you most certainly can pick the same run (or run design) pick to pick. In the case of express operators, I've been told that picks aren't as cutthroat as the local run boards.

Also from pick to pick, TA can definitely chop up and piece together runs. So someone who has held down a run may have to pick up something entirely different as the first half of the run may have went to another one and the second half to another run or both halves together to an entire new run.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

When a new pick is in effect, do all drivers switch runs? Seeing different drivers on th CP express runs i usually take, not all are good. 

I'm happy that my express bus driver this pick changed back to the same one from last summer.  He's fast and bobs and weaves through traffic like a pro.  The good ones even wait in Manhattan at the last pick-up until it's near their scheduled time to depart for Queens.

I'm always afraid of getting the driver I would sometimes see last summer on the QM2.  He would always stay in one lane, never go above 25 MPH, and would be horribly late every day.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

Also from pick to pick, TA can definitely chop up and piece together runs. So someone who has held down a run may have to pick up something entirely different as the first half of the run may have went to another one and the second half to another run or both halves together to an entire new run.

Exactly. Also to add on to this, what i mean by run design is that if you picked run 004 on the B14, with a first half B17, TA can definitely flip it with a first half B14, and call it run 104 on the B17, with the same run time, same total miles, same swing time, same actual total hours behind the wheel, etc

25 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Exactly. Also to add on to this, what i mean by run design is that if you picked run 004 on the B14, with a first half B17, TA can definitely flip it with a first half B14, and call it run 104 on the B17, with the same run time, same total miles, same swing time, same actual total hours behind the wheel, etc

Gotcha.

SB: How come the TWU depots don't classify these type of runs as Miscallenous runs like how the ATU depots do? There's a couple runs at Castle that interline the same way and keep their route designation but still. 

29 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Gotcha.

SB: How come the TWU depots don't classify these type of runs as Miscallenous runs like how the ATU depots do? There's a couple runs at Castle that interline the same way and keep their route designation but still. 

I can't honestly answer that. TWU & Bus Company (TWU and ATU) don't designate runs as MISC like Staten Island or TA Queens. Regardless if it's a straight run, terminal interline or swing interline, each line gets it's own header number if any of the lines runs interline (grand Ave for example uses 0 thru 9 headers for all their runs and 151 for B32 runs) as opposed to each line having the straight runs designated as '0'

10 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Does anyone know if the RTS 5236 that was running on the M4 was a loaner or a transfer to Manhattanville 

I'm gonna take a "wild guess" (seeing as it is common knowledge on this forum that Management doesn't want RTS's housed at MTV on a permanent basis, and has been repeatedly addressed an exuberant amount of times) that it was a friggin loaner... I mean, i could be wrong.

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

9 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Does it have MHV decals? That's the bigger question? 

No... it still had MJQ decals but.. that RTS did do two runs going down to 34st and going all the way up to The Cloister Museum after that it stopped running.

11 hours ago, 7-express said:

I'm always afraid of getting the driver I would sometimes see last summer on the QM2.  He would always stay in one lane, never go above 25 MPH, and would be horribly late every day.

Thats probably the same driver I had yesterday on the QM11, was 15+ minutes late. Hes been there since the winter pick. 

9 hours ago, MHV184 said:

Does anyone know if the RTS 5236 that was running on the M4 was a loaner or a transfer to Manhattanville 

9 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I'm gonna take a "wild guess" (seeing as it is common knowledge on this forum that Management doesn't want RTS's housed at MTV on a permanent basis, and has been repeatedly addressed an exuberant amount of times) that it was a friggin loaner... I mean, i could be wrong.

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Does it have MHV decals? That's the bigger question? 

Friggin loaner!!!!!!! LMAO. 

Nah, both buses were returned to Quill at the end of the day. 

8 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I've noticed that some NYCT buses in the Castleton Depot (All Orion VII 3G's) have "MTA Bus" on them instead of "MTA New York City Bus", anyone knows why?

They went for rehab and the wrong sticker was placed on them. 

44 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Thats probably the same driver I had yesterday on the QM11, was 15+ minutes late. Hes been there since the winter pick. 

That's ridiculous. The new pick is out. Only one driver has remained that I normally get. When I take the BxM2 I get a cool black guy. Other than that, all new drivers.

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Friggin loaner!!!!!!! LMAO. 

We ALL know people need to CUT IT OUT every time a blasted RTS shows up at MTV. It's been addressed. There's no one who's that delusional of a foamer that can't grasp the concept that NYCTA/MaBSTOA doesn't want RTS's at MTV... I mean, really?

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

54 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

We ALL know people need to CUT IT OUT every time a blasted RTS shows up at MTV. It's been addressed. There's no one who's that delusional of a foamer that can't grasp the concept that NYCTA/MaBSTOA doesn't want RTS's at MTV... I mean, really?

I've already answered that question to the individual that asked about the MHV loaner. Yes, it's been discussed in great lengths in regards to the NO RTS at MHV Some love nostalgia. However, this is reality and there's no need for RTS at MHV 

Edited by Future ENY OP

11 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I've already answered that question to the individual that asked about the MHVloaner. Yes, it's been discussed in great lengths in regards to the NO RTS at MHV Some love nostalgia. However, this is reality and there's no need for RTS at MHV 

Yeah, i noticed that. Person asked (or addressed) it twice: here & in another thread. 

saw some B46 xd40 (old ones) with new destination signs that are the same ones you see on the XD60 sbs routes. But you could tell they were new because the font to them were all wrong and messed up. The B46 number was small and the route destination was too big to fit on the sign. It must have been a coding issue. 

21 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

At MTV huh... Gotta love autocorrect. :lol:

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Quentin Road & East 16th. B2/B31 stop. Cheap. Real cheap. 

Nah, this is the wave of the future, just like Select Bus Service !

Somebody's gonna have to pay for the duct tape, paper, ink, and laminate used to make this new state-of-the-art bus stop.....

37 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Nah, this is the wave of the future, just like Select Bus Service !

Somebody's gonna have to pay for the duct tape, paper, ink, and laminate used to make this new state-of-the-art bus stop.....

LMFAO.  You are absolutely right tho.  I would see this in my travels in Central and Northeast Bronx. But, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.  That's a first. Besides, NYCDOT are a bunch or crooks. Mismanagement of funds and a commissioner who completely doesn't understand drivers and riding public.