BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Oh yeah, that as well. Speaking of which, will any of the newer Xcelsiors head down to SI soon? 

Check the Fleets and Depots thread. The only new buses Staten Island may get are the Nova LFS (8504-8754). I bet a portion of that order will go to Yukon Depot to displace the 71 Orion VII NG Hybrid buses, and and equip the S79 buses with new buses. Remember: the MTA wants all SBS buses replaced with new ones.

33 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Not that I've heard of, but I don't think so, the oldest local buses on SI are the Orion VII NG, which are about 9 years old. The MTA wants to replace buses that are much older, like the RTS and Orion VII 1st Gen, which are found in the other 4 boros.

The 71 Orion VII NG Hybrids will be displaced, not replaced. Those buses will leave the island and go to the other 4 boroughs. Just because the RTS and Orion VII OG Hybrids from 2003 it doesn't mean those depots will get new buses in return.

40 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Check the Fleets and Depots thread. The only new buses Staten Island may get are the Nova LFS (8504-8754). I bet a portion of that order will go to Yukon Depot to displace the 71 Orion VII NG Hybrid buses, and and equip the S79 buses with new buses. Remember: the MTA wants all SBS buses replaced with new ones.

The 71 Orion VII NG Hybrids will be displaced, not replaced. Those buses will leave the island and go to the other 4 boroughs. Just because the RTS and Orion VII OG Hybrids from 2003 it doesn't mean those depots will get new buses in return.

But the MTA always puts Staten Island as the bottom priority. The S79 SBS still lacks off-board payment.

Just now, JeremiahC99 said:

So any buses between 2008 and 2011 won't be wrapped in the new scheme?

No because those buses were pre merger buses so the newer buses will have the new scheme. I think also painting them in the newer scheme would be expensive. Its not as simple as painting old private bus colors to just blue and white. 

Just now, Brillant93 said:

No because those buses were pre merger buses so the newer buses will have the new scheme. I think also painting them in the newer scheme would be expensive. Its not as simple as painting old private bus colors to just blue and white. 

what merger?

1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

Those buses will be retired instead?

Just now, Lil 57 said:

what merger?

I think he is talking about the merger of MTA New York City Transit and MTA Bus Company. As part of this merger, they will have a new state of the art bus command center in East New York across the street (Fanchon Place) from the current one. MTA Bus Company Command Center will move from College Point Depot to the new building.

17 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I think he is talking about the merger of MTA New York City Transit and MTA Bus Company. As part of this merger, they will have a new state of the art bus command center in East New York across the street (Fanchon Place) from the current one. MTA Bus Company Command Center will move from College Point Depot to the new building.

Would it be called NYCT or MTA bus

57 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

But the MTA always puts Staten Island as the bottom priority. The S79 SBS still lacks off-board payment.

The S79 +SBS+ does not warrant Off Board payment because the ridership isn't as high and demanding like in the 4 boroughs. Also Staten Island has the best and YOUNGEST average bus age in the entire system, with buses ranging 2-9 years of age while anywhere else we have buses past 20 years of age, so basically Staten Island's buses are in a very decent age group.

Just now, JeremiahC99 said:

The merged branding is simply MTA. The new buses do not have the NYCT and Bus titles, and will be that way for the merger. The first page of the Fleets and Depots thread has some details about the merger.

Some Orion VII 3G's from Castleton got repainted and say "MTA Bus" on them, I wonder why?  

Just now, WestFarms36 said:

The S79 +SBS+ does not warrant Off Board payment because the ridership isn't as high and demanding like in the 4 boroughs. Also Staten Island has the best and YOUNGEST average bus age in the entire system, with buses ranging 2-9 years of age while anywhere else we have buses past 20 years of age, so basically Staten Island's buses are in a very decent age group.

It gets kind of boring riding the only 3 types of buses on SI though.

3 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

It gets kind of boring riding the only 3 types of buses on SI though.

Well its starting to get like that now with Orion out of Business. And plus at the end of the day its a bus only taking you from Point A to B

4 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Some Orion VII 3G's from Castleton got repainted and say "MTA Bus" on them, I wonder why?  

It was an error at the facility, give it a while and they'll fix it. C40LF 266 from West Farms was repainted with MTA Bus decals and thats always been an NYCT Unit.

Edited by WestFarms36

Just now, Lil 57 said:

Maybe some XD40's, I remember in 2012, they had so many types of buses.

That was then. I believe they are removing the variety from the depots and routes to make it easier for depot maintenance since they can maintain fewer types of bus fleets (although LaGuardia Depot would say otherwise).

1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

Maybe some XD40's, I remember in 2012, they had so many types of buses.

Staten Island will be Nova territory only. MTA wants to Standardize the fleet for Maintanance reasons and to have a stable location for parts.

Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island: NovaBus *Stengel is NewFlyer

Brooklyn & MTA Bus: New Flyer

*MTA Bus is New Flyer by default.

Just now, WestFarms36 said:

Staten Island will be Nova territory only. MTA wants to Standardize the fleet for Maintanance reasons and to have a stable location for parts.

Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island: NovaBus *Stengel is NewFlyer

Brooklyn & MTA Bus: New Flyer

*MTA Bus is New Flyer by default.

How about Orion?