BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

I'll put it this way, compared to the Manhattan routes, the routes in Manhattan are a cakewalk.

Take the Bx12 for example, it goes through some of the hilly parts of The Bronx and encounters some pretty rough roads, so those buses will look beat up regardless. The hills themselves is why the 1200s used to take off so slow(it's night and day when you compare it to the 1200s on the M15 Select).

All those Bronx artics goes through some rough areas that contribute to the wear and tear on those buses.

Rough roads are a problem across the City, but still, that doesn't excuse their horrible maintenance.  They just don't do anything with those buses, and it's so obvious, even if you aren't a regular user.  Hell the M86 has some horrible streets as well (Lex, and 3rd and 86th immediately come to mind), and I can't recall seeing their buses being so beat up.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Rough roads are a problem across the City, but still, that doesn't excuse their horrible maintenance.  They just don't do anything with those buses, and it's so obvious, even if you aren't a regular user.  Hell the M86 has some horrible streets as well (Lex, and 3rd and 86th immediately come to mind), and I can't recall seeing their buses being so beat up.

The M86 is a 2-mile route. The Bx12, and the rest of the Bronx artic routes are almost 3 times longer than that. That's why I said it's a cakewalk for the Manhattan routes. Apples and oranges scenario.

Edited by Cait Sith

32 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

If you've seen, or been on the routes those 1200s and 4700s operate on....you'd see why they look like they've been ran into the ground. The Bronx has some of the more brutal artic routes in the city.

Here's my logic. I understand that Bronx Division (GH) (KB) artic routes travel excessive amounts of mileage. However, beating the buses to the ground is no excuse and possibly send those same buses to Brooklyn Division would be a utter disgrace. 

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

The M86 is a 2-mile route. The Bx12 is almost 3 times longer than that. That's why I said it's a cakewalk for the Manhattan routes.

Sure, more mileage makes a difference but even when they unwrap buses from the Bx12 they don't do anything with them.  They just throw them on to another local route like the Bx4 and call it day. No fresh paint job or taking the bus in to be refurbished.   Crazy...

23 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Sure, more mileage makes a difference but even when they unwrap buses from the Bx12 they don't do anything with them.  They just throw them on to another local route like the Bx4 and call it day. No fresh paint job or taking the bus in to be refurbished.   Crazy...

The paint is still good on them. Those buses were wrapped when they were still relatively new.

27 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Here's my logic. I understand that Bronx Division (GH) (KB) artic routes travel excessive amounts of mileage. However, beating the buses to the ground is no excuse and possibly send those same buses to Brooklyn Division would be a utter disgrace. 

Not like they even have a choice, especially when some of the routes operate 24/7.....buses are beaten to the ground in all of the five boroughs, so that's a pretty moot point.

Again, The Bronx artic routes are much more brutal than the rest of the boroughs. Not every bus will look or will be treated like others in the five boroughs. Different areas, roads, terrain, ect.

Hell, look at Brooklyn's 4800s, those are BEAT, even AFTER they got repainted! Those 4800s were literally driven into the ground.

Edited by Cait Sith

Just now, Cait Sith said:

Not like they even have a choice, especially when some of the routes operate 24/7.....buses are beaten to the ground in all of the five boroughs, so that's a pretty moot point.

Again, The Bronx artic routes are much more brutal than the rest of the boroughs. Not every bus will look or will be treated like others in the five boroughs. Different areas, roads, terrain, ect.

Hell, look at Brooklyn's 4800s, those are BEAT, even AFTER they got repainted!

Where are those new artic buses going that Grand Avenue had now that the (M) is back to normal?

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Where are those new artic buses going that Grand Avenue had now that the (M) is back to normal?

Manhattan. They are all there now. Some of them were unwrapped for Select Bus Service, some are operating on the M14A/M14D.

Edited by Cait Sith

57 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The paint is still good on them. Those buses were wrapped when they were still relatively new.

Hell, look at Brooklyn's 4800s, those are BEAT, even AFTER they got repainted! Those 4800s were literally driven into the ground.

Valid point.... can't even argue that and I'm in Brooklyn. East New York and Ulmer Park 4800's are definitely beaten up. #caseclosed. 

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That is a fact. I was on 5311 on Friday, the Bus is tagged up and full of black filth. There is no way that something like that contributes to distance. The Bx12 and Bx41 +SBS+ don't run overnight, I'd expect those buses to be the most cleanest and upkept in the entire yard. The condition on 5311 was a disgrace ads wripped off, a Q44 Strip Map torn in half and not removed. It proves that no one goes inside to even BROOM these buses at Gun Hill. It is unsanitary and criminal seeing the conditions those buses are in. Especially the +SBS+ units which spend the night at the yard, I would expect some upkeep.

6 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

That is a fact. I was on 5311 on Friday, the Bus is tagged up and full of black filth. There is no way that something like that contributes to distance. The Bx12 and Bx41 +SBS+ don't run overnight, I'd expect those buses to be the most cleanest and upkept in the entire yard. The condition on 5311 was a disgrace ads wripped off, a Q44 Strip Map torn in half and not removed. It proves that no one goes inside to even BROOM these buses at Gun Hill. It is unsanitary and criminal seeing the conditions those buses are in. Especially the +SBS+ units which spend the night at the yard, I would expect some upkeep.

That's more indicative of the kind of passengers that both routes see during the day. The SBS units over there do run on the other full time Gun hill routes (especially now as of late), so most of the time the units aren't in the yard to rest up and get cleaned up regularly. Still, there should be a better incentive on getting the buses cleaned up as this isn't just a Gun hill or a Bronx only issue.

4 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

That's more indicative of the kind of passengers that both routes see during the day. The SBS units over there do run on the other full time Gun hill routes (especially now as of late), so most of the time the units aren't in the yard to rest up and get cleaned up regularly. Still, there should be a better incentive on getting the buses cleaned up as this isn't just a Gun hill or a Bronx only issue.

Even the XN40's which aren't that old are filthy, sometimes you find vandals drawing penises on the panels with their markers, or pasta on the floor, or a bum with their disgusting feet on the seats, or some assh*le rubbing their boogers of the handrails.

43 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Even the XN40's which aren't that old are filthy, sometimes you find vandals drawing penises on the panels with their markers, or pasta on the floor, or a bum with their disgusting feet on the seats, or some assh*le rubbing their boogers of the handrails.

I will say that the few times that I use the Bx7, Bx10 or Bx20 in Riverdale they've been clean, but I only go for short distances to Metro-North or maybe to 231st for the subway or a MetroCard. I haven't used the local buses here in months though. I think the last time was when it snowed and they were running buses from Queens Village.

How has crowding been? The Bx7... That bus has been packed every time I've seen it in the morning while waiting for the express bus. I imagine the crowding is just worsening. You can also tell when a bus is missing because the lines are just insanely long.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, WestFarms36 said:

Not just that. They're are instances in which I've seen buses like the Orion VII NG that I saw yesterday on the M57 have the whole side of the back area open as if the maintenance at the depot didn't close it right and I've seen the whole back bottom right sight be broken and cracked. It's horrible 

36 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Not just that. They're are instances in which I've seen buses like the Orion VII NG that I saw yesterday on the M57 have the whole side of the back area open as if the maintenance at the depot didn't close it right and I've seen the whole back bottom right sight be broken and cracked. It's horrible 

There is no excuse for a dirty bus. Lack of Cleanliness is noticeable, there are people who just see the atrocities on those buses, and some even refuse to sit. Gun Hill Depot for a long time has been getting away with their mischief of running buses to the ground and not cleaning them, while the state is shuttering businesses down for unsanitary conditions. Why don't they take a look at those buses before they pretend that their agencies are very professional and have high quality cleanliness standards.

1 minute ago, WestFarms36 said:

There is no excuse for a dirty bus. Lack of Cleanliness is noticeable, there are people who just see the atrocities on those buses, and some even refuse to sit. Gun Hill Depot for a long time has been getting away with their mischief of running buses to the ground and not cleaning them, while the state is shuttering businesses down for unsanitary conditions. Why don't they take a look at those buses before they pretend that their agencies are very professional and have high quality cleanliness standards.

I'm surprised the MTA is just letting this slide because having a depot that's utterly atrocious and dirty like GunHill should be raising flags since the MTA wants people in this city to think highly of them and that they are actually improving while on the other hand GunHill  is representing the opposite.

2 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

I'm surprised the MTA is just letting this slide because having a depot that's utterly atrocious and dirty like GunHill should be raising flags since the MTA wants people in this city to think highly of them and that they are actually improving while on the other hand GunHill  is representing the opposite.

It is because they want nothing but new buses to run them down to the ground. They got those brand new XD60's in 2013, best performing and appealing. Fast Forward to 2018, they look like crap. Even West Farms has beat Gun Hill at Maintanance and Cleanliness. Gun Hill doesn't even bother to have someone take a look inside ANY of those buses... If I were a dignitary, I'd be highly concerned with my constituents riding in those horrid conditions.

1 minute ago, WestFarms36 said:

It is because they want nothing but new buses to run them down to the ground. They got those brand new XD60's in 2013, best performing and appealing. Fast Forward to 2018, they look like crap. Even West Farms has beat Gun Hill at Maintanance and Cleanliness. Gun Hill doesn't even bother to have someone take a look inside ANY of those buses... If I were a dignitary, I'd be highly concerned with my constituents riding in those horrid conditions.

GunHill is GunHill what can we do