Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Not just data, but also schedules. Seriously, having off-peak schedules on some lines that go back almost 10 years with few changes is absurd, and now, in 2018, they're finally realizing that they need to improve service.  I'm very anxious to see what off-peak improvements look like in their mind when the new Staten Island schedules come out once they approve the new network.

I wonder if any of these people have seen a bus or a train during off peak hours, seriously people get tired of having to wait 30+ minutes at a Bus Stop during certain times of day making them opt on taking Uber or Lyft, degrading the route further more to the point where not even a fly is seen on the bus. These supposedly "Improvements" kill these routes which causes no one to take them, promping the (MTA) to think that no one at all uses buses at that time, automatically cutting service without identifying root cause based on the loss of ridership. Their mentality is "We don't give any flying f*cks, we'll go with our plan anyways."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

I wonder if any of these people have seen a bus or a train during off peak hours, seriously people get tired of having to wait 30+ minutes at a Bus Stop during certain times of day making them opt on taking Uber or Lyft, degrading the route further more to the point where not even a fly is seen on the bus. These supposedly "Improvements" kill these routes which causes no one to take them, promping the (MTA) to think that no one at all uses buses at that time, automatically cutting service without identifying root cause based on the loss of ridership. Their mentality is "We don't give any flying f*cks, we'll go with our plan anyways."

Last Sunday I waited almost 30 minutes for a BxM1 bus.  It was due at 18:50 and arrived at 19:18, with the driver smiling and speaking like nothing happened <_<.  I was too tired from waiting to say anything so I just spoke and took a seat.  It was yet another trip that should've taken 40 minutes, but took almost two hours when all was said and done.  I got off early in frustration because we had a wheelchair on top of it and I didn't feel like going through a 20 minute ordeal just for that, but yeah I see lots of people using Uber when waiting for buses on weekends, and you really can't blame them.  Getting anywhere has become such an ordeal.  I may very well start putting Uber into my budget when the bus becomes a mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Last Sunday I waited almost 30 minutes for a BxM1 bus.  It was due at 18:50 and arrived at 19:18, with the driver smiling and speaking like nothing happened <_<.  I was too tired from waiting to say anything so I just spoke and took a seat.  It was yet another trip that should've taken 40 minutes, but took almost two hours when all was said and done.  I got off early in frustration because we had a wheelchair on top of it and I didn't feel like going through a 20 minute ordeal just for that, but yeah I see lots of people using Uber when waiting for buses on weekends, and you really can't blame them.  Getting anywhere has become such an ordeal.  I may very well start putting Uber into my budget when the bus becomes a mess.

Next Stop: 2 Broadway, I'll give them an earful of what an angry customer sounds like...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Next Stop: 2 Broadway, I'll give them an earful of what an angry customer sounds like...

Or better yet, attend the board meetings and speak there. My schedule has been crazy, but I'd like to get to one in the next few months and speak.  This whole thing has been very frustrating and there's a few board members that I'd personally like to address my comments to about things they need to focus on going forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any remaining buses in service inherited from pre-MTA Bus companies? (Green, Triboro, Queens Surface, etc.) 

Edited by R68OnBroadway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Are there any remaining buses in service inherited from pre-MTA Bus companies? (Green, Triboro, Queens Surface, etc.) 

If 2926 is still in service (MCI D4500) then yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 9:29 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

I have a question for the bus operators here

Someone falls on your steps while getting on the bus what are you supposed to do?

to add to the questions for the bus operators @SevenEleven @EastFlatbushLarry and any other bus operator on the forum

What had happened on my bus when i was riding it a few days ago

We pull up to a stop,bus is a low floor hybrid bus dude gets on slips on the ramp step and has a bruise on his lower leg and cuts

dude says he is ok driver makes him fill out his information saying he does not need attention, and supervisor responds and asks injured dude if he is ok dude says he is,  then he sees his injury later says he needs medical attention so fire engine and Ambulance comes and responds.

We transfer to a standby bus as they take regular bus out of service and driver out of service for the day.

What does TA have you guys do if that happens?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

to add to the questions for the bus operators @SevenEleven @EastFlatbushLarry and any other bus operator on the forum

What had happened on my bus when i was riding it a few days ago

We pull up to a stop,bus is a low floor hybrid bus dude gets on slips on the ramp step and has a bruise on his lower leg and cuts

dude says he is ok driver makes him fill out his information saying he does not need attention, and supervisor responds and asks injured dude if he is ok dude says he is,  then he sees his injury later says he needs medical attention so fire engine and Ambulance comes and responds.

We transfer to a standby bus as they take regular bus out of service and driver out of service for the day.

What does TA have you guys do if that happens?

 

 

Exactly what they did... Get passengers off of the bus, and have the bus go OOS and from there, wait until management is on the scene, then have paperwork stating what happened, etc.  Surely that guy will have to go through hoops.  Even when the driver isn't at fault, the (MTA) will say well you should've saw XYZ.  If you're deemed too much of a liability you can be let go.  The (MTA) hates liabilities... Liabilities=lawsuits and $$$. How did the guy slip on the ramp? Was the bus pulled into the curb properly?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Exactly what they did... Get passengers off of the bus, and have the bus go OOS and from there paperwork stating what happened, etc.  Surely that guy will have to go through hoops.  Even when the driver isn't at fault, the (MTA) will say well you should've saw XYZ.  If you're deemed too much of a liability you can be let go.  The (MTA) hates liabilities... Liabilities=lawsuits and $$$.

i see and to add the driver was looking right at him when he came up and fell and we also have cameras towards the door above the driver cameras out the front window and camera towards the driver from behind the front door, to add they also had us sit on the bus while they treated him till they extracted him off the bus and the standby bus came

Edited by BreeddekalbL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

i see and to add the driver was looking right at him when he came up and fell

I've been in three accidents on the bus over the years.  One of them I posted here a few years back on the BxM1.  We were coming over the Broadway bridge when a cover from above came down and hit the roof of the bus and smashed the destination sign as it fell to the ground.  Really scary as we didn't know what was going on.  The B/O was freaking out saying he could lose his job for this.  Well we were allowed to stay on the bus until another bus came (we learned that they weren't sending a replacement bus, so the next one would be an hour away). Management showed up, talked with the driver and they were making snide remarks about how he's the driver and should've saw it.  It was impossible to see since it was dark out and the plate that fell from above likely was from the rumbling of the (1) train above.  Any way, after a whole big who ha, they decided to put the bus back in service with the smashed destination sign (told the guy to be careful), dropped us off, and I'm sure the bus was taken to the depot thereafter.  Several of us agreed to be witnesses if he needed us to ensure that he still held his job.

That happened several years ago, and the guy is still around, but with that BxM18 accident where the driver smashed into those cars on Madison, that driver that put through the ringer.  Heard it from other B/Os I know. Luckily a passenger that I ride with wa s able to get the bus to a stop while the driver was unconscious which is when he finally came to.  I was on the bus after that one. The passengers were freaked out.  I would've been on that same bus had I not left the office later.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've been in three accidents on the bus over the years.  One of them I posted here a few years back on the BxM1.  We were coming over the Broadway bridge when a cover from above came down and hit the roof of the bus and smashed the destination sign as it fell to the ground.  Really scary as we didn't know what was going on.  The B/O was freaking out saying he could lose his job for this.  Well we were allowed to stay on the bus until another bus came (we learned that they weren't sending a replacement bus, so the next one would be an hour away). Management showed up, talked with the driver and they were making snide remarks about how he's the driver and should've saw it.  It was impossible to see since it was dark out and the plate that fell from above likely was from the rumbling of the (1) train above.  Any way, after a whole big who ha, they decided to put the bus back in service with the smashed destination sign (told the guy to be careful), dropped us off, and I'm sure the bus was taken to the depot thereafter.  Several of us agreed to be witnesses if he needed us to ensure that he still held his job.

That happened several years ago, and the guy is still around, but with that BxM18 accident where the driver smashed into those cars on Madison, that driver that put through the ringer.  Heard it from other B/Os I know. Luckily a passenger that I ride with wa s able to get the bus to a stop while the driver was unconscious which is when he finally came to.  I was on the bus after that one. The passengers were freaked out.  I would've been on that same bus had I not left the office later.

The first one makes me want to say the hell how the hell could he seen it?

The 2nd one i remember that, didn't the driver have a medical episode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BreeddekalbL said:

The 2nd one i remember that, didn't the driver have a medical episode?

Yes he did.  He was an older driver too, so they really had him under the spotlight. I can't recall the conversation I had since it was a few years ago, but I was talking with a B/O about it on the way home.  I know he had to go through all sorts of tests and he definitely had some sort of condition that triggered him passing out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I stand by my point when it comes to Deplorable service at the (MTA)

 

The 2:41pm Bx36 arriving at Bryant Av, E 174 St is 23 Minutes late...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 9:44 PM, WestFarms36 said:

That is a fact. I was on 5311 on Friday, the Bus is tagged up and full of black filth. There is no way that something like that contributes to distance. The Bx12 and Bx41 +SBS+ don't run overnight, I'd expect those buses to be the most cleanest and upkept in the entire yard. The condition on 5311 was a disgrace ads wripped off, a Q44 Strip Map torn in half and not removed. It proves that no one goes inside to even BROOM these buses at Gun Hill. It is unsanitary and criminal seeing the conditions those buses are in. Especially the +SBS+ units which spend the night at the yard, I would expect some upkeep.

Would you ever consider that things like that happens during the day when you're not on the bus? People, especially school kids tend to act like animals.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, I've been seeing them quite a bit on the B32 lately.... Good catch though.

Yes, during rush hour. Of course, I was driving thru Remsen Avenue and it caught me by surprise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random sighting: I see that the B12 is using the short turn at KCH // New York Avenue. Is that short turn only for PM rush hours only. Saw the bus on layover yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Are there any SBS trips in the whole system that are school trips?

S79 SBS from SI Tech to Brooklyn. A lot of kids. Live in Brooklyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Are there any SBS trips in the whole system that are school trips?

I believe the Q44 still has at least one from John Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

5986 has WiFi now (but no Cuomo paint), which means the WiFi retrofit on the older local buses is now underway.

They've been doing them to the older local buses for a few weeks to a month now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soon hopefully I will be a new hire, I’m at final processing, Finish my paperwork into criminal convictions know I have to get this disposition papers from the court. (How will this affect me?) *i have many arrests bull shit arrest. No I don’t have a Fenoly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Would you ever consider that things like that happens during the day when you're not on the bus? People, especially school kids tend to act like animals.

I have seen a few school kids hanging from the Yellow Cord, doesn't surprise me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a report about the double decker X17J and based on the information given one of the trips took 2 hours and 36 minutes. Why on earth do we have routes that long? Also, that trip ended a minimum of 45 minutes late based on the scheduled X17J trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.