BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

11 hours ago, Subwayfan12 said:

Cause of the crazy speeds they take turns at and I also notice that a lot of them prefer to manually shift the bus

They downshift the bus. The downshift because the bus shifts too quick to get enough power going up the bridge. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/2/2018 at 5:05 PM, Q64 To Forest Hills said:

6023 out of Casey, 7348 out of Flatbush and 6098 all have the same vision zero ads as 5411. They’re simply starting to put ads on new scheme and sbs wrapped buses. 

hs5jkl.jpg

A taste of SEPTA bus advertisement found with (MTA)  NYCT & BUS. Spotted this last week during the rollout of the current Vision Zero ads.

Quite a few buses in the Brooklyn Division have the double ad:  East New York, Flatbush and Ulmer Park. Haven't seen any with Grand Ave and Fresh Pond.

6 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Reliable isn’t have the back seat feel like a stove top. Plus this isn’t the first time this has happened and to be honest that’s dangerous for passengers. 

Again if the engine is making the seats hot to the point it feels like the bus is going to catch fire it needs to go and dangerous. 

By that logic, you might as well remove every bus from service because the engine runs hot....even the newest buses have their engines running hot, especially in warmer spring-summer days. And that is the case with Cummins because they have to run hot for maximum efficiency, especially with their CNG engines.

Most buses catch fire because of mechanical and or electrical reasons. Buses would just shut off and break down when they overheat. There's a good chance that they won't burst into flames, so relax.

Edited by Cait Sith

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

By that logic, you might as well remove every bus from service because the engine runs hot....even the newest buses have their engines running hot, especially in warmer spring-summer days. And that is the case with Cummins because they have to run hot for maximum efficiency, especially with their CNG engines.

Most buses catch fire because of mechanical and or electrical reasons. Buses would just shut off and break down when they overheat. There's a good chance that they won't burst into flames, so relax.

It’s one thing for an engine to run hot but if it’s to the point where I can feel it on my bum I think it’s sort of hazardous. So I don’t know what to risk. 

4 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

It’s one thing for an engine to run hot but if it’s to the point where I can feel it on my bum I think it’s sort of hazardous. So I don’t know what to risk. 

Well I mean the engine is under the seat 24/7 so....

4 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

A B/36 71 (not sure about the last two numbers) has a back sign and I saw it on Nostrand Avenue about 1:30 PM today.

If you are referring to the double rear ad. Quite a few Ulmer Park buses have the double ad. 7171, 7179 are 2 of the buses I've spotted so far. There are a few with Flatbush (SBS46), East New York. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I just seen 0019 on the B60!!!!!!

So cool to see the Proterra in my neck of the woods, can't wait until the XDE40 pops up on the B60.

They been making their rounds (proterras).  Caught one on the B47 a few weeks ago.  These buses are in position to be ordered later on. 

On 5/11/2018 at 2:16 PM, Brillant93 said:

That's one reason why I generally try not to sit right in the back on any bus because if the engine overheats and there's a problem, you're right there.  I've been on a few buses that have clearly had very hot engines because you can feel the warmth when sitting.

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

5328 has the infamous luminator glitch. Nothing really big but I'm pointing it out because in the back, you got the mini "b44" and in the next slide you get a big "SELE"

Those new sign updates don't work.  What's. It broken needs to be fixed. But the (MTA) doesn't seem to have that logic. SMDH. 

18 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Those new sign updates don't work.  What's. It broken needs to be fixed. But the (MTA) doesn't seem to have that logic. SMDH. 

I don't know why they feel the need to keep changing the vendor who makes the signs anyway.  It seems like they're never happy with one and so this is what you get.  I mean they're not going to last forever. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

That's more of a Luminator issue than an MTA issue....

48 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know why they feel the need to keep changing the vendor who makes the signs anyway.  It seems like they're never happy with one and so this is what you get.  I mean they're not going to last forever. 

Long term reliability is why. They switched from Luminator to Hanover because those Luminator Spectrums have been proven to be more problematic than the Hanover signs.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:28 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Are people with strollers allowed to even open the wheelchair seat and leave their stroller there while they have their baby in the carrier in the seat next to them?

LOL... wtf? No....

That's no different than me folding those wheelchair accessible seats to set up a small chair & table so that I can feast my ass off !