BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:28 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Are people with strollers allowed to even open the wheelchair seat and leave their stroller there while they have their baby in the carrier in the seat next to them?

LOL... wtf? No....

That's no different than me folding those wheelchair accessible seats to set up a small chair & table so that I can feast my ass off !

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was on a B37 earlier with a dest. sign for 39th street. The bus kept going past 39th so it clearly was a mistake on the B/O's part. Just found it weird because I'd never seen it before... didn't know a 39th street short turn on the even existed on the 37

1 hour ago, JX248 said:

Was on a B37 earlier with a dest. sign for 39th street. The bus kept going past 39th so it clearly was a mistake on the B/O's part. Just found it weird because I'd never seen it before... didn't know a 39th street short turn on the even existed on the 37

The depot is right there, so it's a convenient short-turn point.

Is it just me, or does Quill Depot seem to have the new articulated Xcelsior and LFSA buses on the SBS lines NOT called the M60?

Because I've noticed that while the M60 can have some of those new buses some days, it's usually running the 2011-2012 ones.

3 hours ago, JX248 said:

more than likely a pull in sign destination code. the operator was probably eager to go home 

9 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Is it just me, or does Quill Depot seem to have the new articulated Xcelsior and LFSA buses on the SBS lines NOT called the M60?

Because I've noticed that while the M60 can have some of those new buses some days, it's usually running the 2011-2012 ones.

The 5800s at Quill have the luggage racks, so those are first in line for the M60 unless there are a few of those out of service or if a driver takes a newer unit up to LaGuardia.

Speaking of short turns....

I eventually got fed up with waiting for a Q69/Q100 towards QBP this past saturday (about a 15 min. wait), so I walked from after getting off the Q19 (Astoria Blvd/21st) over to 30th/21st to try my luck w/ the Q102 it paid off.... It was waiting at a red, so all I had to do was cross the street.... Along the way, there were four Astoria bound Q102's that passed by in the other direction within a 7 minute span..... Two of those four buses had the 30th/31st short turn destination sign..... Thought to myself, since when did the 102 short turn at the 30th av (N)(W) station..... Don't know wth happened elsewhere along the line, but I was saying to myself, I lucked the f**** out catching this SB 102.....

Point I'm pretty much getting at is, I'm seeing quite a bit of never before seen (AFAIC anyway) short turns on the destination signage on some of these routes as of the past year or so....

15 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Speaking of short turns....

I eventually got fed up with waiting for a Q69/Q100 towards QBP this past saturday (about a 15 min. wait), so I walked from after getting off the Q19 (Astoria Blvd/21st) over to 30th/21st to try my luck w/ the Q102 it paid off.... It was waiting at a red, so all I had to do was cross the street.... Along the way, there were four Astoria bound Q102's that passed by in the other direction within a 7 minute span..... Two of those four buses had the 30th/31st short turn destination sign..... Thought to myself, since when did the 102 short turn at the 30th av (N)(W) station..... Don't know wth happened elsewhere along the line, but I was saying to myself, I lucked the f**** out catching this SB 102.....

Point I'm pretty much getting at is, I'm seeing quite a bit of never before seen (AFAIC anyway) short turns on the destination signage on some of these routes as of the past year or so....

Those short-turns are only there for the Astoria Line station rehabilitation periods. They only run between QBP and 30th Avenue. The dumb thing is that those short-turns will not appear on bustime, so only the ones going to Astoria Houses and Roosevelt Island are only shown.

A busfan I'm subscribed to on YT uploaded video from some NJ bus group yesterday, I googled them and found their facebook page, in one of the pics I seen blue and white RTS with no numbers but it looks JUST LIKE an NYCT RTS... so the question is, do Friends of the NJ Transportation Heritage center have an NYC RTS apart of their collection?

Pics below (NOT my pics.. I got them from their facebook page but IDK how to link individual posts from FB on here)

BUcXBDw.jpg

3rPNrRW.jpg

Link to Facebook page I got those photos from: https://www.facebook.com/FNJTHC/

17 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

A busfan I'm subscribed to on YT uploaded video from some NJ bus group yesterday, I googled them and found their facebook page, in one of the pics I seen blue and white RTS with no numbers but it looks JUST LIKE an NYCT RTS... so the question is, do Friends of the NJ Transportation Heritage center have an NYC RTS apart of their collection?

Pics below (NOT my pics.. I got them from their facebook page but IDK how to link individual posts from FB on here)

BUcXBDw.jpg

3rPNrRW.jpg

Link to Facebook page I got those photos from: https://www.facebook.com/FNJTHC/

I believe it's privately owned.

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

That was 9207.

Wow so they got the ex NYPD RTS, I like they somewhat restored its original appearance, love the fact that they put an Limited sign in the windshield, that really had me like 😄. They have an amazing collection of buses, RTS's, Flexibles, old school MCI coaches, etc.  

Here's a pic I found of 9207 when it was still an NYCT bus: http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?pid=16029&fullsize=1

Goddamn!! That's unreal. Throw on a pair of Alcoas and I just might cry. The new owner has EXACTLY the same taste as what I would do with a bus like that...best scheme those buses ever wore and one clean look. Amazing how good the body looks too. Somebody wanna explain why the MTA hasn't painted RTSes like this in years? The black on the doors alone is a massive improvement.

13 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Goddamn!! That's unreal. Throw on a pair of Alcoas and I just might cry. The new owner has EXACTLY the same taste as what I would do with a bus like that...best scheme those buses ever wore and one clean look. Amazing how good the body looks too. Somebody wanna explain why the MTA hasn't painted RTSes like this in years? The black on the doors alone is a massive improvement.

Loved seeing those paint schemes when I was younger. But unfortunately the MTA decided to do away with the black paint on the sides and eventually the rear to save money or something like that

2 hours ago, RTSTdrive said:

Loved seeing those paint schemes when I was younger. But unfortunately the MTA decided to do away with the black paint on the sides and eventually the rear to save money or something like that

My guess is that they didn't want buses' (older ones as least) engines overheating during the summer. I know that U.S Airways changed from a black to white fuselage after they acquired America West and its southwestern hubs as the black would cause the plane to overheat.