BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Is this real or someone else's fantasy? Cause it looks like a thing a fan would edit on paint.

Nope. This is from the actual map up on the MTA website. Looks like all the purple in that area got to whoever was editing that map.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbx.pdf

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

4 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Nope. This is from the actual map up on the MTA website. Looks like all the purple in that area got to whoever was editing that map.

Somebody overlooked that typo. Wow.

Image the Bx10 replacing the Bx34 north of Norwood. Would be great I tell you.

5 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yea LOL. They probably got confused putting in that new routing via Jerome thru the Woodlawn (4) stop (that routing's legit but I thought it'd be temporary; I wonder why they put it on the map...)

Just now, MysteriousBtrain said:

Somebody overlooked that typo. Wow.

Image the Bx10 replacing the Bx34 north of Norwood. Would be great I tell you.

VG8 would still take the express bus tho...

He'd probably beat the Bx10 too.

5 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Some watermain-related construction project. The current phase of construction is only until July but there's more work to do into next year.

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Haven't been in that immediate area too recently.... What's the reason for that re-routing anyway?

They're apparently installing a new pipe line over there and the traffic it's causing is chaotic, it's affecting every single Bee Line route that operates under the (4) as well as the Bx10 and Bx16 during the PM rush. Just last week, I saw (4) BL-4 buses back to back at Woodlawn with (3) BL-20 buses behind it.  

10 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Yea LOL. They probably got confused putting in that new routing via Jerome thru the Woodlawn (4) stop (that routing's legit but I thought it'd be temporary; I wonder why they put it on the map...)

VG8 would still take the express bus tho...

He'd probably beat the Bx10 too.

Yeah, when I had a client up in Westchester, I'd have them drop me at the Yonkers/Woodlawn border near 242nd and Katonah, get on the BxM4, transfer in the city for the BxM1 or BxM2 (whichever came first) and got back to Riverdale that way. Whenever I do take the local buses in Riverdale, I find myself using the Bx10 for the shortest of distances.  It is VERY slow, especially along Henry Hudson Parkway.  Too many stops, too many seniors and people chatting with the B/O, and given the neighborhood, the drivers want to make sure they're courteous to everyone to avoid receiving written complaints, so they usually make a concerted effort when picking up and dropping off. But yes, if I can link up with a quick BxM2, it's a pretty quick ride and likely faster than the Bx10 meandering all about.

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I'm currently sitting in Power park, adjacent to Flatbush Depot and bus #'s 7621, 7623 and 7624 have arrived at Flatbush Depot moments ago in select bus service paint

Than it is official. Buses rolling into Flatbush. Get your last rides with the RTS. 

As I was leaving the airport from work last night more XD40’s we’re pulling into the lot. Right now at least 15 are there in addition to more stored at a undisclosed location on property. 

Good news is that it’s going to be a great summer for new buses throughout the city. 

42 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Even with new buses Gun Hill still keeps with hot weather tradition and whips out the XD60s (with their superior AC by the way) on the Bx12 SBS.

Climate control on these buses is SO ANNOYING.  Put on the damn AC when it's hot (like today - can we can get the overhead blowers on!!??? <_<).  I dunno what's with the driver I get on the BxM2. He BLASTS the AC in the winter so the buses are FREEZING, and then today the overhead blowers were off - why? It's disgusting outside (hot and very humid).  

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

As I was leaving the airport from work last night more XD40’s we’re pulling into the lot. Right now at least 15 are there in addition to more stored at a undisclosed location on property. 

Good news is that it’s going to be a great summer for new buses throughout the city. 

I'm assuming more SBS buses for Flatbush?

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Climate control on these buses is SO ANNOYING.  Put on the damn AC when it's hot (like today - can we can get the overhead blowers on!!??? <_<).  I dunno what's with the driver I get on the BxM2. He BLASTS the AC in the winter so the buses are FREEZING, and then today the overhead blowers were off - why? It's disgusting outside (hot and very humid).  

From what I've been told, the mechanics have to change the temperature settings in all of the buses. Drivers do not have control of the temperature in the buses, only the on/off switch.

2 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

From what I've been told, the mechanics have to change the temperature settings in all of the buses. Drivers do not have control of the temperature in the buses, only the on/off switch.

The whole thing is absurd.  They definitely need to work on it.  We get NO heat at all in the dead of the winter.  Just cold air blowing on us and then when it's actually hot there's no AC.  It's like who wants to ride the bus when all they're doing is making us sick?  I'm almost certain I was made sick by the buses this year. No doubt about it.  We had a very cold winter, and it was absurd to have buses with AC on them in the dead of winter.

18 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The whole thing is absurd.  They definitely need to work on it.  We get NO heat at all in the dead of the winter.  Just cold air blowing on us and then when it's actually hot there's no AC.  It's like who wants to ride the bus when all they're doing is making us sick?  I'm almost certain I was made sick by the buses this year. No doubt about it.  We had a very cold winter, and it was absurd to have buses with AC on them in the dead of winter.

Write a letter to Mr Byford

3 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Write a letter to Mr Byford

I'm going to bring it up in the workshop meetings. We're paying $13.00 a day and can't get decent climate control and I'd like to know why from (MTA) brass. For what they're paying for these buses, it's really inexcusable.  I actually just received a follow-up letter from one of my representatives regarding the horrific express bus service too.  Really tired of it.  These meetings are going to be very heated because there's a lot of frustration due to a lack of action.

For example, I'm of the belief that the Major Deegan should have an HOV lane for HOV traffic and the express buses.  Governor Cuomo's office sent me a BS letter last year claiming that there was no such need citing a traffic study that was supposedly conducted.  I was infuriated by the letter and even more emboldened to keep pushing for one given how backed up that expressway is and the amount of time we spend sitting in traffic on it.