BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

14 hours ago, Ty24 said:

They seem to only be putting ads on the left sides of the Nova LFS/A. I wonder why the right side of LFS/A are not seeing any ads..

. . 

2 things I think why no right side ads. 

1) The gas ️ tank is on the far right side. 

2) Also the 30x144 ad covers the number. However in the Bronx Division they have ads on the right side of the LFS/A’s.  I’ve seen some also with Manhattan Division LFS/A’s. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/28/2018 at 1:08 AM, paulrivera said:

Thru service from Sedgwick and Inwood are weekend only until the summer pick starts.

think they run a shuttle from Pelham Bay during the week also, or at least they did in the past before the summer pick starts. But either way you're right; there's no timetable that shows what time these buses run.

Went to Orchard today, their is a shuttle bus between Pelham Bay and the Beach, their is a timetable for the shuttle posted at Orchard Beach stop in Pelham Bay.

I kinda see why the TA doesn't "promote" it, ridership is super light and only requires two buses, they probably don't want people to know about it and thus it getting popular and having to add more service. Most people probably think there's no weekday bus service between Pelham and the Beach between Memorial Day and July 4th.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Went to Orchard today, their is a shuttle bus between Pelham Bay and the Beach, their is a timetable for the shuttle posted at Orchard Beach stop in Pelham Bay.

I kinda see why the TA doesn't "promote" it, ridership is super light and only requires two buses, they probably don't want people to know about it and thus it getting popular and having to add more service. Most people probably think there's no weekday bus service between Pelham and the Beach between Memorial Day and July 4th.

Is this shuttle signed up as any route or is just signed up as some arbitrary beach shuttle?

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

Is this shuttle signed up as any route or is just signed up as some arbitrary beach shuttle?

It's signed up as "BX12 Orchard Beach" towards the beach and "BX12 Pelham Bay" leaving the beach.

Also the shuttle is free, just like the subway shuttles.

Edited by trainfan22

On 5/25/2018 at 11:13 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Apparently the person who does the 1am S42 out of the ferry that day called out. So there was no one to cover the run, a guy returning from the express kept the bus and deadheaded to the ferry to complete that quick trip. 

Heres the video:  

They run on the S89 because there’s a run where the driver does an S89 one way, and then does express the rest of the afternoon. I think the same thing took place in the mornings. They happen on the school trippers for the same reason above, the driver has a one way trip on the school piece, and then does express the rest of the afternoon, so there’s no point in switching buses (at least for veterans). 

So he couldn't go up the Clyde Place hill because of the Prevost, right? (It wasn't because of construction or anything?)

On 5/26/2018 at 8:55 AM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

seniority. aaaand seniority lol. certain (not many) depots (like flatbush) have picks for each and every major holiday (and eves... xmas eve, etc). 100 street (Tuskegee) for example, doesn't do picks for holidays. whatever your run is, you do a holiday (modified) or weekend equivalent, which may or may not be different than your original run. i can only speak to the depots/Divisions I've worked in. i can't speak on Bus Company, Queens or Staten Island Divisions. every depot and division/union handles the runs uniquely. 

On 5/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, SevenEleven said:

I've done a bunch of school trips out of Castleton and they've pretty much been good. Not as rowdy as they used to be. 

Throughout the system, if your picked assignment has the same RDOs as the holiday, you automatically get it off. So anyone with Monday RDOs will have Memorial Day off by default. 

In Staten Island, we pick for holidays that have a special schedule in place for that day. (MLK, Presidents, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Xmas and New Years) You can pick onto the "Fall Off" list which forces you to have the day off with pay. (But no AVA accural for our future coworkers reading this)  Thanksgiving thru New Year's is covered with one holiday pick and operators are entitled to have one of these days off, if they don't already have one via RDOs. 

For other holidays that simply roll on a different schedule day, the general rule of thumb is that if your run exists on that schedule day (Memorial Day is a Sunday schedule in SI), then you'll be working that. If it doesn't, then more than likely you will be getting forced off. This applies for people with regular runs and work runs. Those on the extra list, vacation relief, etc., getting the day off may go either way depending on specific things about your own assignment at the time. 

Example: Memorial Day last year, I had a work run. On Mondays regularly, I had to do 34 on the 79. This run has Sundays off and a Sunday version of this run didn't exist. Got forced off. On July 4th, I has a straight run with Wednesday and Thursday off. I had to work the Saturday version of my run on July 4th. 

Do you get paid straight time for the holiday if you work it, or you get some type of time-and-a-half or double pay?

22 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I think I know what he's referring to... They've installed a brand new bus stop sign somewhere along the old route with the M18 on it. Not quite sure what caused that but yeah.

The DOT are idiots. Years ago when the X16 was eliminated, they installed a bus stop with the X16 and X30.  It was an old pick up stop for the X16 and a drop-off stop for the X30. I used to chuckle every time I walked by that stop.  

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The DOT are idiots. Years ago when the X16 was eliminated, they installed a bus stop with the X16 and X30.  It was an old pick up stop for the X16 and a drop-off stop for the X30. I used to chuckle every time I walked by that stop.  

They are. There’s still an X6 drop-off only stop on Midland Ave and an X18 somewhere on Tompkins Ave.

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode one of those new 7600 XD40s on the B46 today, only thing different from the 2014-2015 models is the usb ports and the engine sounds slightly different and the "Please exit though the rear door" announcement is done by a different person.

Boy you sure do get around... I can't see myself taking any bus or anything these days for the hell of it.  I'm getting old!! :lol:

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode one of those new 7600 XD40s on the B46 today, only thing different from the 2014-2015 models is the usb ports and the engine sounds slightly different and the "Please exit though the rear door" announcement is done by a different person.

Technically speaking...it isnt a person. It's the same text to speech program used on the LFSA Screens

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

The engine is a cummins L9 so its a different engine entirely (though similar)

39 minutes ago, RTSTdrive said:

Technically speaking...it isnt a person. It's the same text to speech program used on the LFSA Screens

But why did they not add the transfer announcements that announce what bus and/or subway lines you can switch to at certain stops? They are present on the 73xx buses, so why not add them here?

4 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

But why did they not add the transfer announcements that announce what bus and/or subway lines you can switch to at certain stops? They are present on the 73xx buses, so why not add them here?

Probably still tryna get the programs for the screens and announcements sorted out for the B46SBS. Remember:

1. These were only fully programmed for JA Depot routes as well as the M15SBS and Q44SBS.
  2. Also remember that the 73xx screens initially didn't come with transfer announcements until after some time later and even after they added that in, some things had to be sorted out (example: announcing LTD in B103 LTD literally as L T D instead of "Limited")
  3. Different manufacturers. Different programs. The 76xx-series has screens from Vianova while the 73xx-series screens are from some other company. And if i read correctly from an older forum post, all post-2008 the buses have Clever IVN so there's also a matter in getting the screens compatible with what whatever OEM version of IVN is on board the bus.
Edited by RTSTdrive

6 hours ago, RTSTdrive said:

Probably still tryna get the programs for the screens and announcements sorted out for the B46SBS. Remember:

1. These were only fully programmed for JA Depot routes as well as the M15SBS and Q44SBS.
  2. Also remember that the 73xx screens initially didn't come with transfer announcements until after some time later and even after they added that in, some things had to be sorted out (example: announcing LTD in B103 LTD literally as L T D instead of "Limited")
  3. Different manufacturers. Different programs. The 76xx-series has screens from Vianova while the 73xx-series screens are from some other company. And if i read correctly from an older forum post, all post-2008 the buses have Clever IVN so there's also a matter in getting the screens compatible with what whatever OEM version of IVN is on board the bus.

So the JA XD40 buses announce the transfers at transfer points as of right now?

2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

So the JA XD40 buses announce the transfers at transfer points as of right now?

Mostly no, but I did hear 7484 make transfer announcements at times, and it wasn't pretty.

Also most if not all former CS LFSA have programs for all routes in the city. It's easiest to catch them on the 5900's. Here a video I took of the Bx19: