BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

True random thought: why does New Flyer produce XN40s/XN60s rather than XC40s/60s? For years, it was D40s/D60s in HF or LF form, as well as C40s, etc. Even the Viking was a D45S (suburban). You had DE40s and DE60s, and even E40s. The Xcelsior range brought an X to the regular XD40 and to XDE40s/XDE60s, but for some reason the C of Compressed was changed to the N of Natural to make for XN40s/XN60s. Wonder why.

The Xcelsior CNGs were originally labeled as XC but was changed to XN. I always thought it was a trademark conflict with Volvo, since they already had cars bearing the XC name (Like the XC60), way before the Xcelsior came about.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/20/2018 at 9:10 PM, Calvin said:

I wonder how XN-60s pop up on the Bx12 SBS, even though its at West Farms CNG powered. 

When the MTA figures out how to run artics at the western end of the Bx6, particularly a tight right turn on Riverside Drive before turning onto Riverside Drive West (the through bypass) that is already difficult with rigids, then they will head to the Bx6 SBS. An alternative might also be to just change the routing and have the Bx6 SBS end at Columbia Presbyterian, which might not be a bad idea at all, as that is a major job generator and would give riders along the 161/163 corridor direct access to a hospital. Would such require a hearing, since it discontinues service to Riverside Drive?

As for the XN60s, they typically lay over at Bay Plaza proper or at Pelham Bay during the midday, rather than returning to West Farms.

Edited by aemoreira81

13 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

They run during the PM rush too. They run from 6 AM to 10 AM and from 3 PM to 7 PM, starting and ending their runs at Bay Plaza and do two round trips during the AM rush and two round trips during the PM rush.

Saw a couple of em out this afternoon.

1 minute ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Would that cut down on frequencies? 

Usually yes. For every three 40-footers they go with two 60-footers, because you know, cost neutrality and loading guidelines are an absolute priority.

Edited by paulrivera

11 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

When the MTA figures out how to run artics at the western end of the Bx6, particularly a tight right turn on Riverside Drive before turning onto Riverside Drive West (the through bypass) that is already difficult with rigids, then they will head to the Bx6 SBS. An alternative might also be to just change the routing and have the Bx6 SBS end at Columbia Presbyterian, which might not be a bad idea at all, as that is a major job generator and would give riders along the 161/163 corridor direct access to a hospital. Would such require a hearing, since it discontinues service to Riverside Drive?

As for the XN60s, they typically lay over at Bay Plaza proper or at Pelham Bay during the midday, rather than returning to West Farms.

So where would the XN40's on the Bx6 go?

On 6/22/2018 at 6:20 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

All three make sense.  They're supposed to be shuttle buses.  What can happen is if you make the routes too long then they become bogged down and are no longer shuttles.  A few weeks ago when the Broadway Bridge had two lanes closed Northbound, there was a huge back up in bus service.  You had shuttle buses running really in just one direction and nothing in the other which obviously causes large crowds and back ups.  I personally think that they should only run artics on all three branches, but that may not be feasible.

They can't run artics on the St. Nicholas shuttle because they do the same turn as the M3.

Rode the B35... it was an XN40, got of at Utica to transfer to the B46 SBS.. which was an new 7600 XD40, I was riding in style today🤗

Those Proterras... I have yet to ride one, whenever I look at the B32 on bustime them things are never on that route smh. Decided to look up their ID numbers and two was a in service on the Q59 and one on the B48, yesterday seen one on the B60 but I wasn't in the position to ride it.

Seems like Grand Avenue runs the Proterras on any GA route just like any other bus, not only run on the B32 as originally stated.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

How do you do that?

If you have an Android phone, install the Transit Tracker app which allows you to look up an individual bus. Type in 4962 (An 99 RTS) for example into the search bar, and if its in service, it will show what route it's operating on along with its location.

14 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

If you have an Android phone, install the Transit Tracker app which allows you to look up an individual bus. Type in 4962 (An 99 RTS) for example into the search bar, and if its in service, it will show what route it's operating on along with its location.

How about for iOS?

24 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

One's on the B47 right now

I guess I’ll settle for that. I’ve rode the B47 once already. It was an okay line. I wanted it on the 13, 24, 48, 57 or the Q59. 

Edit: It seems to have disappeared or the operator shut it off at layover.

Edited by danielhg121

37 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I guess I’ll settle for that. I’ve rode the B47 once already. It was an okay line. I wanted it on the 13, 24, 48, 57 or the Q59. 

Edit: It seems to have disappeared or the operator shut it off at layover.

it's also appeared on my route the 38 also