BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Dude asks for a ride, then proceeds to ask people for a few quarters before getting off a few stops later. I really hope this does not become a new way to solicit money. 

That's actually an old hustle.... I hope that it doesn't become prevalent again.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/15/2018 at 12:38 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

....but if they're happy, they're going to think "What's the point in speaking? I got what I wanted"

This isn't false, but at the same time, malcontents are never satisfied, even when they get what they want....

See, we (NYC commuters) get stigmatized as being nothing but whiny complainers & I'm of the belief that this stigma further facilitates the MTA doing whatever it wants.

Well, props for Byford earlier on in the year to at least attempt to reach out to commuters on twitter, at least....

4 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Can someone tell me why Spring Creek Depot is a Queens Depot even though it has only Brooklyn buses and is located in Brooklyn?

From what I've heard it's MTA Bus (I could be wrong about this) : routes/depot locations are out of the Bronx and Queens. For example, Yonkers is located at the Westchester county but it's known to be out of the Bronx. There were 7 depots seperated in different companies but then merged to MTA Bus out of 2 boroughs. 

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

From what I've heard it's MTA Bus (I could be wrong about this) : routes/depot locations are out of the Bronx and Queens. For example, Yonkers is located at the Westchester county but it's known to be out of the Bronx. There were 7 depots seperated in different companies but then merged to MTA Bus out of 2 boroughs. 

How long was Spring Creek Depot a Queens Depot?

Just now, Calvin said:

Could be, I think that was the date. 

2005 was when the old Command Bus Company was bought by the MTA? And when that purchase happened, did they make the Command Bus Company Depot (now Spring Creek Depot) a Brooklyn Depot initially, or was it always a Queens Depot?

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

About 9 years. MTA Bus takeover happened in 2009. 

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Are you sure it’s not 2005, since that was when the private lines were taken over by the MTA?

Takeover of PBLs started in 2005, ending with the takeover of the Triboro Coach lines in late February of 2006. IIRC it was with Brooklyn division up until sometime around 2013.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 7/17/2018 at 9:08 PM, Q43LTD said:

Why do I get the feeling that Queens will be last to get this bus redesign?

It probably will be the last one to be redone. Queens is the largest boro and for its redesign, the MTA will probably have to split the boro into individual portions and reevaluate the routes. Queens bus routes are beyond outdated, and maybe I'm being biased, but outside of SI it probably needs the redesign the most out of all the Boros. However, it might be better to be done last, that way the MTA can learn from their previous mistakes and not mess up when they get to Queens.

43 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode a Cuomo XD40 on the B82 local today and automated announce system announced Every. Single. Stop. Must have been annoying for the Driver lol.

Are you really sure about that? From a bus drivers point of view, it is better than having the driver announce the stops themselves.

Lets say the B82 LTD has around 50 or so stops. If the automated announcements were not available, then that driver would have to announce all 50 or so stops himself, and that’s going in one direction. Imagine that he had multiple trips to take. That’s a lot of times he has to make announcements, and it adds up real fast. Luckily the new buses have automated announcements reducing the need for the driver to make announcements himself. How can you find automated announcements annoying to the driver?

20 hours ago, IAlam said:

It probably will be the last one to be redone. Queens is the largest boro and for its redesign, the MTA will probably have to split the boro into individual portions and reevaluate the routes. Queens bus routes are beyond outdated, and maybe I'm being biased, but outside of SI it probably needs the redesign the most out of all the Boros. However, it might be better to be done last, that way the MTA can learn from their previous mistakes and not mess up when they get to Queens.

You better hope they don't axe service down to nothing before then because if they do on certain lines, they won't want to bring the lines back in the redesign.

11 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Are you really sure about that? From a bus drivers point of view, it is better than having the driver announce the stops themselves.

Lets say the B82 LTD has around 50 or so stops. If the automated announcements were not available, then that driver would have to announce all 50 or so stops himself, and that’s going in one direction. Imagine that he had multiple trips to take. That’s a lot of times he has to make announcements, and it adds up real fast. Luckily the new buses have automated announcements reducing the need for the driver to make announcements himself. How can you find automated announcements annoying to the driver?

In practice, the drivers don't have to announce all the stops, only the major ones (I know technically, it's some ADA rule or something, but in reality, unless a passenger asks the driver to let them off at a certain stop, the bus driver will only announce the major stops, if even that)

Also, the automated announcements annoy me because they don't take into account the time of day (the S79 that announces 50 million express buses at Fingerboard Road at 11pm when only the X1 & X10 run). They also don't take into account what a passenger would be transferring to in practice (backtracking on the S79 to the X1 to reach Manhattan is the type of thing you would only do if you already knew the route beforehand, as would be taking the S79 to the X10 to reach the North Shore, since the MTA advertises it as drop-off only)

Can't even keep track of the XD60s in local/SBS service anymore. Saw 6113 on the 23-SBS today. In about a year, that's been a TU, KB, MQ local, and MQ SBS bus. Insane number of transfers for the new fleet. And actually, come to think of it, that might have been a GA bus even before that. Damn. 

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You better hope they don't axe service down to nothing before then because if they do on certain lines, they won't want to bring the lines back in the redesign.

I don’t think is service getting cut tremendously on many of the local/LTD and SBS routes before the redesign happens. Of course there will be some minor adjustments made but probably nothing too serious. However what I am concerned about is express service in Queens. I feel like we may see more service getting cut. I recently compared the service of the QM routes back in 2007/2008 compared to now and just about every QM has seen service cuts except for the QM3, and I believe one other route. I’m hoping that this redesign could help boost express service, as well help those routes better serve their respective areas. 

1 minute ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t think is service getting cut tremendously on many of the local/LTD and SBS routes before the redesign happens. Of course there will be some minor adjustments made but probably nothing too serious. However what I am concerned about is express service in Queens. I feel like we may see more service getting cut. I recently compared the service of the QM routes back in 2007/2008 compared to now and just about every QM has seen service cuts except for the QM3, and I believe one other route. I’m hoping that this redesign could help boost express service, as well help those routes better serve their respective areas. 

That whole area (Union Turnpike and partners) needs a redesign. There's no reason why everything during the AM and PM rush should have to make every single stop the way it does. We need more routes the same way the AM QM8 is structured (but during both rush hours).

11 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

That whole area (Union Turnpike and partners) needs a redesign. There's no reason why everything during the AM and PM rush should have to make every single stop the way it does. We need more routes the same way the AM QM8 is structured (but during both rush hours).

I think everything is too centered around Union Turnpike. They can definitely run more express bus service along Queens Blvd. and help alleviate the subways.

14 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I was really referring to the express bus service. I think Queens gets some of the worst express bus service after Brooklyn and Queens has more areas further out without subways so it needs it, but the residents aren't vocal and don't use some buses enough.  

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think everything is too centered around Union Turnpike. They can definitely run more express bus service along Queens Blvd. and help alleviate the subways.

I was really referring to the express bus service. I think Queens gets some of the worst express bus service after Brooklyn and Queens has more areas further out without subways so it needs it, but the residents aren't vocal and don't use some buses enough.  

Dont take any routes off of Union Tpke, they are already keeping people off of the Queens Blvd subways by picking up on Union. The X63/68 can be increased to pick up more people on Queens Blvd, though I dont think many more people will be willing to pay 6.50 when they can just jump on the subway, even if it crowded. 

23 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Dont take any routes off of Union Tpke, they are already keeping people off of the Queens Blvd subways by picking up on Union. The X63/68 can be increased to pick up more people on Queens Blvd, though I dont think many more people will be willing to pay 6.50 when they can just jump on the subway, even if it crowded. 

With the backups the QBL has to deal with, you might have some willing to use it as a backup.

Another thing that would be useful would be that Elmhurst LIRR station on the Port Washington branch.