BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

14 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Are you using Transit Tracker and if so what are you putting in when searching for the schedules?

Here are the steps to getting the SIM schedules.

1. Download the "Transit App" (offline timetables)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tapgap.transit

2. When prompted to chose a city, click on "New York".

3. Click on "Routes" in the drag down menu from the left.

4. Scroll down untill you see the SIM routes.

5. Choose you're stop combo and choose the date (It won't show anything if you put the date before August 19, 2018).

And you should be done.

Edited by Lil 57

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Are you using Transit Tracker and if so what are you putting in when searching for the schedules?

No transit is a different app altogether 

https://transitapp.com/

I highly recommend them since it works almost anywhere in the country with a semi-decent transit system. It also works in a lot of other countries.

21 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Here are the steps to getting the SIM schedules.

1. Download the "Transit App" (offline timetables)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tapgap.transit

2. When prompted to chose a city, click on "New York".

3. Click on "Routes" in the drag down menu from the left.

4. Scroll down untill you see the SIM routes.

5. Choose you're stop combo and choose the date (It won't show anything if you put the date before August 19, 2018).

And you should be done.

Took like 5 seconds to do that. Why was anyone talking about Transit Tracker anyway??

On 7/23/2018 at 11:57 AM, Jdog14 said:

You forgot JFK

And Far Rock for the rotation as @Cait Sith mentioned. The do however house all 3 models nightly now. They are gearing back up to full ops. All buses are technically still assigned to JK, however there are more than 70 Hybrids including 6535 parked at the depot tonight. 6501 should be pulling in to FR tonight as well after its Q22 run. They could be anywhere tomorrow. 

On 7/23/2018 at 12:22 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

I saw someone post that they implemented TSP on the :bus_bullet_b35: true or no?

Yes, it will be fully installed by the end of the year.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:04 PM, Calvin said:

- Doesn't Far Rockaway store the local hybrids from JFK as well?

- Also, there's at least 4 standard XN-40s that's still on the Bx6-SBS.

1 XN40 left now. 734.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

What was the M27 bus route?

A branch of the M50 that headed to Times Square.

Also you had:

M13 - now M8

M16 - now M34A SBS (renumbered only when SBS began in 2011)

M17 - now M79 SBS

M18 (pre-M3 Convent Avenue split) - now M86 SBS

M107 and M19 - now M96 and M106 (the M19 was renumbered M106 later on)

M20 (pre-M10 split) - now M116

M26 - now M23 SBS

M27 - discontinued 2010

M28 - now M57

M29 - now M66

M30 - rush-hour variant of the M72 and M57, discontinued 2010

M32 - now Q32 - only former FACCO route under NYCTA operation today rather than MaBSTOA)

M34 (first use - became M35)

M58 - merged with the M31 in 1993

M106 - see M42

The only route the MTA created from scratch in Manhattan Division was the M60, created in 1992 from Lenox (2)(3) to LGA...it was extended to its current route in 1998. The M60 took over the M35's Astoria service.

Edited by aemoreira81

I also have to wonder if the MTA should consider a concept of a nighttime bus network...between 11 PM and 5 AM, similar to what is the case in Toronto (which was Andrew Byford's last station before NYCTA, although that network precedes him). It would right-size routes to where they're needed. Some drivers would start their shifts on the regular network and end it on the nighttime, and vice versa.

12 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

I also have to wonder if the MTA should consider a concept of a nighttime bus network...between 11 PM and 5 AM, similar to what is the case in Toronto (which was Andrew Byford's last station before NYCTA, although that network precedes him). It would right-size routes to where they're needed. Some drivers would start their shifts on the regular network and end it on the nighttime, and vice versa.

How does it work exactly? 

2 hours ago, MHV184 said:

Today has been interesting regarding Manhattanville routes because all 3 depots in Manhattan are  helping manhattanville out today anyone know why?

Same with Staten Island, in the past few days, Yukon and Charleston were helping out with the X21, Charleston just finished the X10B and the S44 and Castleton is doing the S79 SBS.

Edited by Lil 57

Finally got to ride a Cuomo XD40 on the B42, they do have the announcements for the 42 if anybody is wondering.

Speaking of the B42... The 42 along with the Bensonhurst bound 6/82s aren't using that little bus terminal next to the (L) train station due to construction. 42s are picking up across the street and 6 & 82s are picking up in front of dollar general. 

The construction in the area has caused a traffic nightmare on Rockaway Parkway with the 6, 17, 42, 60 and 82 all running down that block. A B42 driver change held up traffic on Rockaway Parkway.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Finally got to ride a Cuomo XD40 on the B42, they do have the announcements for the 42 if anybody is wondering.

Speaking of the B42... The 42 along with the Bensonhurst bound 6/82s aren't using that little bus terminal next to the (L) train station due to construction. 42s are picking up across the street and 6 & 82s are picking up in front of dollar general. 

The construction in the area has caused a traffic nightmare on Rockaway Parkway with the 6, 17, 42, 60 and 82 all running down that block. A B42 driver change held up traffic on Rockaway Parkway.

It can take 20-30 minutes just to get through that area. I got bus 19 struggling to get through earlier.

On 7/26/2018 at 11:56 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

How does it (Blue Night) work exactly? 

It would basically tailor ridership and routes to where the ridership actually is, sometimes running routes along segments of existing routes but not along an entire individual daytime route.

Edited by aemoreira81

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Canarsie right now is simply a mad house...

All new XD40 and XD60 bus deliveries now have bus announcements. A few weeks ago I boarded 7620 out of FB. Announcements are clear and they have transfer connections.

Difference in Manhattan vs Brooklyn is that Manhattan Division is slapping ads on their buses meanwhile Brooklyn hasn't yet.

On 7/25/2018 at 11:40 PM, aemoreira81 said:

Sounds good in theory, but this would loom too confusing for most people - thus further pushing them to the subway, the cab, or even the extreme of not even bothering to travel during the wee hours of the night at all....

Not trying to be funny, but the MTA doesn't even know how to effectively cater to its daytime riders, how in the world do you expect them to efficiently cater to its night time riders !

Edited by B35 via Church

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Sounds good in theory, but this would loom too confusing for most people - thus further pushing them to the subway, the cab, or even the extreme of not even bothering to travel during the wee hours of the night at all....

Not trying to be funny, but the MTA doesn't even know how to effectively cater to its daytime riders, how in the world do you expect them to efficiently cater to its night time riders !

I totally agree, I can see most people being confused especially those who may take the bus at different times of the day. I like the idea but in general the MTA needs to fix and update its current network of bus routes. There are still some simple improvements that could be made that I’m surprised the MTA hasn’t made yet. 

Well lol one of them is all day LTD service (6AM-8PM) on the Q25 since the Q34 provides additional local service.  LTD Service is almost unchanged since it started 11 years ago on the Q25.

I really wonder if the MTA is gonna go ahead and get rid of all the Orion buses on S.I. Clearly Yukons are leaving, and the way the 7ks are breaking down left and right, makes it seem Castleton is fighting to get rid of them. On weekends they try to avoid sending 7ks out, unless necessary. Also they took most of the 7ks bike racks and put them on the 8ks. It would make sense for uniform purposes too. I'm still hoping that happens. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I really wonder if the MTA is gonna go ahead and get rid of all the Orion buses on S.I. Clearly Yukons are leaving, and the way the 7ks are breaking down left and right, makes it seem Castleton is fighting to get rid of them. On weekends they try to avoid sending 7ks out, unless necessary. Also they took most of the 7ks bike racks and put them on the 8ks. It would make sense for uniform purposes too. I'm still hoping that happens. 

my hypothetical question would be where would the 70xx's be relocated to (i understand that it's way too early to definitively know) 

19 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

All new XD40 and XD60 bus deliveries now have bus announcements. A few weeks ago I boarded 7620 out of FB. Announcements are clear and they have transfer connections.

Since when were the new XD40s announcing the transfer connections at each stop? Also is this just for bus 7620 or is it for all new XD40s delivered so far?