BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the last few days, when I track buses (especially Express buses) off peak on bustime, itll be tracking a bus but say "Old Data" even though it is updating correctly as the bus progresses and is totally accurate. Its annoying because it often will only show the distance and not estimated arrival time in these cases. 

Anyone else noticing this issue?

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

For the last few days, when I track buses (especially Express buses) off peak on bustime, itll be tracking a bus but say "Old Data" even though it is updating correctly as the bus progresses and is totally accurate. Its annoying because it often will only show the distance and not estimated arrival time in these cases. 

Anyone else noticing this issue?

I've been having this issue also and just had it while tracking my BxM2 to Manhattan. I always use the Desktop feature on my phone this way I can refresh as needed by tapping on the bus icon on the map. This is really the only way to get the information in real time and trust that it isn't old data. At first I thought it was my phone because I switched phones but it isn't. I have a backup phone as well that I tested it on and it does the same thing. I have to check the computer in my office and see if it does that in desktop mode. Can't remember at the moment.

I seem to be getting issues tracking the NB Bx16/Bx34 in the Jerome Av area South of Woodlawn. I can see the Bx16 leaving Norwood but once it get's to Bainbridge it disappears off bus time and dosen't reappear until it get's to Jerome & 233rd St. Same thing happens with the Bx34.

24 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I seem to be getting issues tracking the NB Bx16/Bx34 in the Jerome Av area South of Woodlawn. I can see the Bx16 leaving Norwood but once it get's to Bainbridge it disappears off bus time and dosen't reappear until it get's to Jerome & 233rd St. Same thing happens with the Bx34.

That's a different issue, those routes aren't showing up since they're being rerouted. The NB Bx16, Bx34, and BxM4 are rerouted onto Jerome from Gun Hill Rd to Woodlawn of the (4) due to construction on Bainbridge preventing any service to run north along that stretch.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've been having this issue also and just had it while tracking my BxM2 to Manhattan. I always use the Desktop feature on my phone this way I can refresh as needed by tapping on the bus icon on the map. This is really the only way to get the information in real time and trust that it isn't old data. At first I thought it was my phone because I switched phones but it isn't. I have a backup phone as well that I tested it on and it does the same thing. I have to check the computer in my office and see if it does that in desktop mode. Can't remember at the moment.

I'd write in a complaint to Bustime, but they have ignored every bug I have pointed out to them, so I've given up on those incompetant idiots. 

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'd write in a complaint to Bustime, but they have ignored every bug I have pointed out to them, so I've given up on those incompetant idiots. 

LMAO... I used to correspond directly with the tech geeks when it first launched.  I don't think they were permanent though.  I think they were hired as consultants, hence why you no longer hear directly from them.  Given how horrible service has been, the complaints people are literally overwhelmed. I just checked using a Desktop and it's the same thing. 

Yesterday I was on the Upper West Side.  I knew my express bus was on detour, hence why I figured I'd wait further up to allow me to track it inside of Joe Coffee.  So I know the bus is late because of the detour along 6th (BTW the QMs were basically skipping ALL stops along 6th and running up Madison - ridiculous), so I go and get myself a cortado. I come out and what do I see but the damn bus pulling away from the stop at 72nd and Columbus as I look at it go by me empty. The guy either purposely entered his info so that he wouldn't show up on BusTime or the GPS device was broken. I was pissed because I had to wait over 30 minutes for the next bus, which of course was on BusTime. The bus never showed up on BusTime either.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

22 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

That's a different issue, those routes aren't showing up since they're being rerouted. The NB Bx16, Bx34, and BxM4 are rerouted onto Jerome from Gun Hill Rd to Woodlawn of the (4) due to construction on Bainbridge preventing any service to run north along that stretch.

Any idea how long this detour will go on for? The traffic from both Bee Line and MTA Bus stopping at Woodlawn is causing traffic hell during rush hours. And why haven't the route maps been updated and how come this planned service change dosen't show up on the site?

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

LMAO... I used to correspond directly with the tech geeks when it first launched.  I don't think they were permanent though.  I think they were hired as consultants, hence why you no longer hear directly from them.  Given how horrible service has been, the complaints people are literally overwhelmed. I just checked using a Desktop and it's the same thing. 

Yesterday I was on the Upper West Side.  I knew my express bus was on detour, hence why I figured I'd wait further up to allow me to track it inside of Joe Coffee.  So I know the bus is late because of the detour along 6th (BTW the QMs were basically skipping ALL stops along 6th and running up Madison - ridiculous), so I go and get myself a cortado. I come out and what do I see but the damn bus pulling away from the stop at 72nd and Columbus as I look at it go by me empty. The guy either purposely entered his info so that he wouldn't show up on BusTime or the GPS device was broken. I was pissed because I had to wait over 30 minutes for the next bus, which of course was on BusTime. The bus never showed up on BusTime either.

That's honestly dumb how you can't track buses when they are on detour.

2 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Bustime should allow one to see detoured buses. Other transit agencies allow you to see buses when they're off route. Makes it much easier instead of playing guessing games to see when the damn bus is going to show up.

It's not even that, even after the buses leave the detoured route, there's a 30 second to 2 minute gap until it reappears on the app and makes it seem like one route has less buses in service then it actually does.

10 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

That's honestly dumb how you can't track buses when they are on detour.

Agreed and some drivers purposely go off route so they can't be tracked or you can also not come up if you input your info into the farebox incorrectly.  When I suspect a driver does this and it happens repeatedly I file a complaint and note the pattern so they can bust them. We had a guy doing that on the BxM2. One night me and an older guy who was coming from a show at Lincoln Center were waiting at 63rd and Broadway, and he's like I can't track the bus.  I said yeah I know why and I'm going to file a complaint too because it was happening repeatedly where I could never track his damn bus and he wasn't on detour either. Then he'd come strolling up there 20 minutes late.  Well I sent a nice e-mail detailing everything and that was nipped in the bud.  There were some drivers that were up in arms about the whole BusTime thing so they would try to play games so that they wouldn't show up.  The (MTA) eventually realized this and they take this very seriously knowing that BusTime encourages people to ride the buses more.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Agreed and some drivers purposely go off route so they can't be tracked or you can also not come up if you input your info into the farebox incorrectly.  When I suspect a driver does this and it happens repeatedly I file a complaint and note the pattern so they can bust them. We had a guy doing that on the BxM2. One night me and an older guy who was coming from a show at Lincoln Center were waiting at 63rd and he's like I can't track the bus.  I said yeah I know why and I'm going to file a complaint too because it was happening repeatedly where I could never track his damn bus and he wasn't on detour either. Then he'd come strolling up there 20 minutes late.  Well I sent a nice e-mail detailing everything and that was nipped in the bud.  There were some drivers that were up in arms about the whole BusTime thing so they would try to play games so that they wouldn't show up.  The (MTA) eventually realized this and they take this very seriously knowing that BusTime encourages people to ride the buses more.

Another thing that I hate is when an operator tailgates another bus in front of him to make it seem like there's only one bus on bus time when you look at the map. I've seen it happen so many times on the M101 it's nuts.

Just now, Lawrence St said:

Another thing that I hate is when an operator tailgates another bus in front of him to make it seem like there's only one bus on bus time when you look at the map. I've seen it happen so many times on the M101 it's nuts.

Yes. That's why I always use Desktop on my phone so that I can see all of the buses. It can be more complicated for the local buses though, but I use the different features on BusTime to see how many buses are due where and when, then zoom in on the map to see just how many buses are coming.  I had access to it when it was in Beta version before it was available to the public so I've had a lot more time than most to get used to the ins and outs of the program.

I rode ex NYCT hybrid 6535 on the Q35 today... it wasn't any better or worse than the original hybrids MTA Bus has. Only noticeable difference is the windows on 6535 are much more dirtier than the MTA Bus hybrids.

IMO It's safe to say that the maintenance between NYCT and MTA Bus is pretty much uniform these days. Back in the Green Lines era, Green buses were far more dirty than the NYCT Buses.

Edited by trainfan22

12 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode ex NYCT hybrid 6535 on the Q35 today... it wasn't any better or worse than the original hybrids MTA Bus has. Only noticeable difference is the windows on 6535 are much more dirtier than the MTA Bus hybrids.

IMO It's safe to say that the maintenance between NYCT and MTA Bus is pretty much uniform these days. Back in the Green Lines era, Green buses were far more dirty than the NYCT Buses.

lol... Just take a ride on some of the buses out of Tuskegee... The newer buses still look ok, but some of the 5000 low floor artics... Already dirty inside because those buses apparently never see a broom or a mop.  Amazes me the differences in maintenance and upkeep from each depot. Yonkers still hand washes their buses and it shows. Some of their buses are now over 10 years old and you wouldn't know it.  I used to think highly of the maintenance and upkeep out of Eastchester but no so much now.  The buses aren't filthy but they don't keep as clean as they used to.

2 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I proposed a similar plan to them at an (MTA) Board meeting I spoke at years ago.  However, I think this S83 makes far too many stops. I'd cut more stops for sure after Forest and Broadway.  I'd do the following:

-Clove Road and Victory

-Clove Rd/Richmond Rd

-Narrows Rd S/Targee St

-Narrows Rd S/Hylan Bl

-Narrows Rd S/Fingerboard Rd

-92 St/Gatling Pl

-86 St/Ft Hamilton Py

-86 St/5 Av

-4 Av/87 St

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I proposed a similar plan to them at an (MTA) Board meeting I spoke at years ago.  However, I think this S83 makes far too many stops. I'd cut more stops for sure after Forest and Broadway.  I'd do the following:

-Clove Road and Victory

-Clove Rd/Richmond Rd

-Narrows Rd S/Targee St

-Narrows Rd S/Hylan Bl

-Narrows Rd S/Fingerboard Rd

-92 St/Gatling Pl

-86 St/Ft Hamilton Py

-86 St/5 Av

-4 Av/87 St

The only thing is that I wanted to give the stop near Wagner College and the Fountains Apartments some LTD bus service.

3 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The only thing is that I wanted to give the stop near Wagner College and the Fountains Apartments some LTD bus service.

The S83 should make the same stops as the S93 north of Victory, otherwise it isn't a limited stop service. If people scream and yell maybe you add a stop or two max.

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The S83 should make the same stops as the S93 north of Victory, otherwise it isn't a limited stop service.

Fixed, the S83 now runs nonstop from Clove/Victory to Broadway/Forest and makes all S93 stops south of Clove/Victory.

On 7/29/2018 at 7:36 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

When will ALL buses have transfer connections? And which buses currently have them?

6126 has announcements. Go look for that one.

By the way it seems like 6126 went with a different vendor. Has new black screens and a different style of announcements. And a bit of lag in them too.

This might be the company that put the screens on the NGs.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Screens seem familiar

8 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Most, not all. A few stops didn't have any at all.

26th Avenue and 73rd Avenue don't have transfer points (aside from the local Q20A and Q20B), but how about other stops like the Flushing Main Street area, the stops on ether side of the Whitestone Bridge, or at subway stops like the East 177th Street (2)(5) , Parkchester (6) or the (E)(F) stops the Q44 SBS connects with? I wonder if you have audio or video of 6126 with the announcements.

IN addition, I not worried about the Q44 SBS, since I don't live in Queens. I am concerned about the new XD40s at Flatbush and East NY (7616-7702), since I live by Flatbush depot and I frequently utilize the B46 SBS, one of the two routes I live nearby that is using the new buses (the other being the B82). I was asking if those buses are announcing the transfers at stops along those two routes.

Edited by JeremiahC99