BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I thought only Castleton had those anyway?  Yukon's hand-me-downs...

Yeah well yukon breaks them, everywhere else fixes em....

I think mostly Castleton but I believe Charleston might have a handful?

Edited by trife86
My shitty spelling

18 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

They do have good AC for the most part, that is true. Some of the 31xxs have been struggling with climate control this summer

The bus I was on this morning, the B/O kept the blowers off. Meanwhile in the winter time, they turn on the blowers full blast with nothing but cold air blowing on you. These are sorts of things that are driving away riders. Just something that is very common sense. Heat in the winter. AC in the summer.

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've literally cut my fingers on the jagged edges of the handle bar of those POS buses. The Blood droplets really went nicely with my suit and tie...

Speaking of pet peeves with certain express bus models..As a tall person, the old MCI Classic express buses kinda sucked, I hit my head on the reading lights/luggage rack when I was on 3006 at busfest many years ago. Most of my MCI Classic rides were the transit seat versions that Green Lines had, which didn't have reading lights, etc, so headroom wasn't an issue. By the time I started fanning express buses the MCI Classics were long gone sadly, I sadly cause their powertrain was pretty cool.

I rode the BXM8 not too long ago on a warm summer day and there was NO air coming out of the damn vents, the coldest MCI I had been was a old 1800 out of SC.

Edited by trainfan22

Let me tell you a little story about what happened on my commute to work this morning (8/16/2018).

Last day of my summer internship in Manhattan, I'm waiting at Post/Port Richmond for the 7:08 AM S57 bus to take me to Forest Ave so I can transfer to the X30. At 7:08 AM I see the bus. Instead of making the left on Post, the B/O goes straight down on Port Richmond like he's an S59 or something. Me and this other guy are like, "WTF is he doing?" There was no detour on the route and the bus wasn't running late so the B/O just decided to leave us, plus the people on Decker stranded. I had to walk all the way to the X30. I reported that B/O in an instant. 

Now, this is one of the reasons why bus ridership is declining. 

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Let me tell you a little story about what happened on my commute to work this morning (8/16/2018).

Last day of my summer internship in Manhattan, I'm waiting at Post/Port Richmond for the 7:08 AM S57 bus to take me to Forest Ave so I can transfer to the X30. At 7:08 AM I see the bus. Instead of making the left on Post, the B/O goes straight down on Port Richmond like he's an S59 or something. Me and this other guy are like, "WTF is he doing?" There was no detour on the route and the bus wasn't running late so the B/O just decided to leave us, plus the people on Decker stranded. I had to walk all the way to the X30. I reported that B/O in an instant. 

Now, this is one of the reasons why bus ridership is declining. 

Probably a new guy/gal, there are 23 or so of them (nearly all of them don't live on SI and want out),bouncing between the four depots since the beginning of the month. This is not recent, but I saw one B/O apparently doing the s57 towards New Dorp go down Trantor Pl. towards Morningstar, like an s44.

Edited by 161 New York

8 hours ago, 161 New York said:

Probably a new guy/gal, there are 23 or so of them (nearly all of them don't live on SI and want out),bouncing between the four depots since the beginning of the month. This is not recent, but I saw one B/O apparently doing the s57 towards New Dorp go down Trantor Pl. towards Morningstar, like an s44.

The B/O was the same guy that picked me up at that time for the past few weeks, saw him through the window.

4 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The B/O was the same guy that picked me up at that time for the past few weeks, saw him through the window.

Ridiculous. Management out on Staten Island seems lackadaisical to say the least. I wonder if your complaint will bring about any sort of reprimand. I've seen this happen on numerous occasions.

I think bus drivers lately have been blowing past stops and missing stop requests left and right. There are clearly people waiting at the bus stop and they basically drive past them with blatant disregard. It wasn’t dependent on the age either because I’ve seen old farts and young recruits do it. It’s getting ridicoulous when someone is sitting at a bench, bus stop unimpeded and you’re the only one to stop there. But maybe they just get tired of pulling into bus stops when old seniors just sit there and watch grass grow. 

We just need the bus drivers to stop leaving the terminal late! It ridiculous that we have to wait half an hour for a bus that supposed to come every 15 min, just for two buses to show up during the same time.

It is also apparent that the scheduling dept schedules the buses without any regards to driver lunch breaks. 

2 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

We just need the bus drivers to stop leaving the terminal late! It ridiculous that we have to wait half an hour for a bus that supposed to come every 15 min, just for two buses to show up during the same time.

It is also apparent that the scheduling dept schedules the buses without any regards to driver lunch breaks. 

TA definitely doesn't want to pay us any extra just to give the buses a more realistic schedule. I remember my Saturday trip on the X1 last year gave me a 10 minute recovery time. It was impossible to be on time when I spent at least 15 of that in traffic at the Gowanus. Then forget about the city. I've gotten there 30 mins after I was supposed to leave and do the trip back. 

I'm definitely not turning and burning after being in the seat for almost 2 hours. 

Same thing on the local. Do a S46 trip up from DMV, get 5 mins at the ferry. 5 mins is barely enough time to unload, post trip, park the bus, walk the ramp to the bathroom and come back. If there's no space to park, then there's another 3 mins gone circling around for parking. 

----

I'll be braving the Sim6 all of next week. We'll see how it goes. 

Yesterday was my first express bus ride in years. Did the X22A from Grand Central to Richmond Valley SIR, then took the SIR to Dongan Hills, and connected to the X1 to Manhattan (all in one fare). 

Anyways, today on the X1. Lady gets on, we make eye contact, and she sits in front of me. I'm on that last row.  She then proceeds to recline her chair, when there was barely any room (I'm big, okay). She looks puzzled and looks back to see why it's not going all the way down. Now, she didn't do this one, nor two, but THREE times. The second time, I hold the chair with my leg while she's reclining, then I push it forward. I would have kicked the chair then, but I had literally no room to move my legs. The third time, I moved at an angle and kneed the chair in front. Only then does she move. To make matters worse, she leaves the chair the way she reclined it. No apologies, no nothing.

F**king prick.

A guy sat in front of me later on, but he didn't recline. He was about to, but I was like "let's try this again", then he jetted forward. LOL.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

23 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yesterday was my first express bus ride in years. Did the X22A from Grand Central to Richmond Valley SIR, then took the SIR to Dongan Hills, and connected to the X1 to Manhattan (all in one fare). 

Anyways, today on the X1. Lady gets on, we make eye contact, and she sits in front of me. I'm on that last row.  She then proceeds to recline her chair, when there was barely any room (I'm big, okay). She looks puzzled and looks back to see why it's not going all the way down. Now, she didn't do this one, nor two, but THREE times. The second time, I hold the chair with my leg while she's reclining, then I push it forward. I would kicked The chair then, but I had literally no room to move my legs. The third time, I moved at an angle and kneed the chair in front. Only then does she move. To make matters worse, she leaves the chair the way she reclined it. No apologies, no nothing.

F**king prick.

A guy sat in front of me later on, but he didn't recline. He was about to, but I was like "let's try this again", then he jetted forward. LOL.

I Just take my leg and kick the living crap out of the chair. That usually does the trick.

9 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Many of the soon-to-be former x17 "straight" schedules, that is these folks just do the x17, on weekends gave B/O's 40 minute "breaks" between their first round trip and their second round trip. If they encounter delay and get back and pull in 20 minutes late, they theoretically have 20 minutes for lunch, but in actuality, they have really 12 minutes because they have to pre-trip (TA gives up 8-10 minutes) and pull out on time (if not, they risk getting disciplined). Same thing for many of the soon-to-be-former x1 trips.

This happened to me on the x1 on Sunday with the Dominican Day Parade. I had 20 minutes, but it was more like 13 minutes. I drove 11 hours that day with a 13 minute lunch break. Shout out to Dunkin Donuts (D)(D)'s for making the day bearable.

There are many other examples I could give.

Edited by 161 New York

I know right now the (MTA) is not in the business of opening new depots at this time. However, I'm getting the feeling that there's overcrowding throughout the whole system.  Even with the openings of Grand Avenue, Charleston and Meredith in recent years and now the re-construction of Jamaica is about to begin. My question is which boroughs need new depots to handle overcrowding?

13 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I know right now the (MTA) is not in the business of opening new depots at this time. However, I'm getting the feeling that there's overcrowding throughout the whole system.  Even with the openings of Grand Avenue, Charleston and Meredith in recent years and now the re-construction of Jamaica is about to begin. My question is which boroughs need new depots to handle overcrowding?

Maybe the Bronx if Gun Hill and Kingsbridge are both considered overcrowded.