BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The moved the SIM6, 10 and 31 stop to 41st from 43rd. (Old X1, 7, 9 stop) Lets see if that helps...

This is from social media, per Oddo's office:

We are troubled by the accounts of underutilization at the Park & Ride at Capodanno. I know this related to route changes. We are discussing
-James Oddo

As someone who's been actively speaking to my fellow x2(Madison) riders I've heard all sorts of various reasons for not utilizing the P&R at Capodanno.

They ranged from; I only have one car and my husband leaves before I do, I medically can not drive, I don't have a car, I can't afford extra gas money.
From what I've heard people are using First Ave as a Transfer Point for the correct ave they need.

People on hylan who need Madison takes the SIM10 to 1st ave and transfers to SIM6/SIM6x/SIM31

People on Capodanno who need a 6th ave bus will get off at 1st ave and transfer to SIM3/SIM10

There was a collective voice of not wanting to rely solely on local Manhattan transportation for fear of train delays and local bus service that has stops on every block.

This is something I've been trying in vain to stress to with the MTA for months now.

The fact of the matter is express bus riders pay for EXPRESS BUS service and the (MTA) is trying to FORCE the subway and local buses down their throats. I was an express bus rider on Staten Island for over 6 years, and I had no interest in using the subway regularly to reach the express bus. In fact I had a job that required the subway from the express bus and I quit less than a month in because I hated the commute. If the subways were reliable it would be one thing, but they are plagued with the delays and overcrowded. It makes no sense to push more people to use a system that is broken.   

Who in the hell programs the Destination signs for (MTA)'s Buses? Do those people even live in NYC?

There are several mistakes with a few routes like for example

Instead of Bx40 VIA TREMONT AV

It currently is Bx40 VIA TREMOUNT AV

another example is

Instead of Bx35 WEST FARMS ROAD

It currently is Bx35 W EST FARMS ROAD

Its not like their computers have auto correct or something right?

On 8/22/2018 at 10:22 PM, WestFarms36 said:

Who in the hell programs the Destination signs for (MTA)'s Buses? Do those people even live in NYC?

There are several mistakes with a few routes like for example

Instead of Bx40 VIA TREMONT AV

It currently is Bx40 VIA TREMOUNT AV

another example is

Instead of Bx35 WEST FARMS ROAD

It currently is Bx35 W EST FARMS ROAD

Its not like their computers have auto correct or something right?

I am serious. They literally talk about Improving and simplifying communication, but if they can't even get the basics right (Programming a sign) let alone actual communication with us the customers. Not only customers go through (MTA) hell of miscommunication, but its employees as well. I have even heard T/O's and C/R's fighting around which line up they are supposed to get, while Dispatch makes a Jiu Jitsu over giving a line up first, then something else later. Things have been improving in the past months, but those practices have to extend even further to the point where people can put 2 and 2 together and figure it out. There's one operator that I didn't report because I felt bad for him getting in trouble but, tell me how he pulled in his bus as a Bx27 To Clason Point at W Farms, and after making a left at E 167 St he changed it to a Bx35 To Washington Heights WITHOUT NOTICE. Everyone in the bus got off and walked back to W Farms Road, MISSING A Bx27, just departing. Luckily we all got transfers. He realized that he just f*cked up and should had changed his sign before letting passengers on..

1 hour ago, WestFarms36 said:

I am serious. They literally talk about Improving and simplifying communication, but if they can't even get the basics right (Programming a sign) let alone actual communication with us the customers. Not only customers go through (MTA) hell of miscommunication, but its employees as well. I have even heard T/O's and C/R's fighting around which line up they are supposed to get, while Dispatch makes a Jiu Jitsu over giving a line up first, then something else later. Things have been improving in the past months, but those practices have to extend even further to the point where people can put 2 and 2 together and figure it out. There's one operator that I didn't report because I felt bad for him getting in trouble but, tell me how he pulled in his bus as a Bx27 To Clason Point at W Farms, and after making a left at E 167 St he changed it to a Bx35 To Washington Heights WITHOUT NOTICE. Everyone in the bus got off and walked back to W Farms Road, MISSING A Bx27, just departing. Luckily we all got transfers. He realized that he just f*cked up and should had changed his sign before letting passengers on..

Another problem that erks me is when I'm taking the M60 towards 106th St and the drivers are still signed up going towards LGA and that puts me in a state of panic because i think im at the wrong stop direction.

Also, whats up with some of thess LFSA's signs? They have small route numbers and dest reading on the front sign...

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Another problem that erks me is when I'm taking the M60 towards 106th St and the drivers are still signed up going towards LGA and that puts me in a state of panic because i think im at the wrong stop direction.

Also, whats up with some of thess LFSA's signs? They have small route numbers and dest reading on the front sign...

Oh the small signs on the LFSA's is just a glitch on Luminator's part. They have been resolving it though.

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So thats why there was an LFS on the s79...

They finally got the blue signs on the LFS's for the S79.

The Bay Ridge destination sign is shown in reverse so instead of, "BAY RIDGE, 86 ST STATION" it says, "86 ST STATION, BAY RIDGE" causing some of the buses to not show up on BusTime.

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yukon's maintenance... Always on the up and up. :lol:

Yep😂

The smoke coming out the exhaust pipe was so much that when the bus was idling, you could barely see anything outside the window. When we all got off at the ETC, we have to cover our face so we wouldn't inhale all the smoke.

4 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Yep😂

The smoke coming out the exhaust pipe was so much that when the bus was idling, you could barely see anything outside the window. When we all got off at the ETC, we have to cover our face so we wouldn't inhale all the smoke.

Should have went to the hospital and sued lmao

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

So I got on bus #4125 on the S79 and that thing was smoking. Big clouds of smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. At the ETC and the bus is OOS and the FDNY is here.

Just make sure they don't send those buses back up to the mainland of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Quill has some of those old 41xx buses.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just make sure they don't send those buses back up to the mainland of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Quill has some of those old 41xx buses.

Some of those Quill 4100s you hear the bus rattling loudly from the outside, they took quite a beating out in SI.

Will the MTA someday order this cng bus from Novabus? We already have Orion VII CNG(being retired), C40LF, XN40 & XN60. I want to get some thoughts on this. We have the diesel and cng variations of the Xcelsior XD40/60 and XN40/60. The MTA has the Novabus LFS and Novabus LFSA. So since they have those two, why not order the cng model?

Picture below is the Novabus LFS CNG and the picture does not belong to be. All rights goes to Peter McLaughlin from busdrawing.com

310513-00472ct8203.jpg