BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I was just thinking of this:

With West Farms receiving 1016-1071, that would bump off all the New Flyer D60HF's and soon for the Bx36 to be fully articulated, LFSAs from Flatbush may head over there to cover service for that route as well as more C40LFs to bump off the Orion VII 2004 units.

Also, for MCH with the XD-60's, the LFSAs to Kingsbridge and 100 St for the D60HF knockoff. 

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/28/2018 at 12:02 PM, Keon Milton said:

I find the express bus network between Riverdale and Manhattan is pretty unique. The BxM1 to East Midtown, the BxM2 to West Midtown and the BxM18 to Downtown (rush hours only). Who knows what the (MTA) could do to this and the rest of The Bronx's express bus network.

The (MTA) will probably make every BxM1 stop in Inwood eventually despite them having no business being there. They'd be smarter if the introduced a new route (we'll call it M99) from Inwood to Lex Ave/34th St like the M98 does almost.

5 hours ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

The (MTA) will probably make every BxM1 stop in Inwood eventually despite them having no business being there. They'd be smarter if the introduced a new route (we'll call it M99) from Inwood to Lex Ave/34th St like the M98 does almost.

I think all hell would break loose if such a thing were proposed. I've been on them to provide more direct service to and from Riverdale.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well, this is a new one...an SBS machine somehow destroyed my Metrocard. I put this 3-week old card, which was in perfect condition, in the machine and I hear the machine make a weird crunching-type noise, and then it spits out my card saying "invalid card." Now, buses and MVMs can't read it either. At least it is a 7-day EXP unlimited I bought with my credit card, so I can just cancel it and get refunded. Anyone else ever have this happen?

16 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Well, this is a new one...an SBS machine somehow destroyed my Metrocard. I put this 3-week old card, which was in perfect condition, in the machine and I hear the machine make a weird crunching-type noise, and then it spits out my card saying "invalid card." Now, buses and MVMs can't read it either. At least it is a 7-day EXP unlimited I bought with my credit card, so I can just cancel it and get refunded. Anyone else ever have this happen?

I had this happen a few times. One time, a fresh unlimited was rendered invalid after using it on the SBS. I paid in cash though, so I had to send it in, and then buy another card. So annoying.

19 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Happened to me once, wonder what exactly the cause for it is.

23 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That is CRAZY!! I am using a pay-per-ride that has an expired express bus unlimited pass on it. I put $75.00 on it, which will last me until late next week.  I am not touching any local buses thank God, because the last time I got a pay-per-ride and used an SBS  bus, the damn machine stole $2.75 from me, then charged me $6.50 TWICE on the BxM1 going home! I was pissed. Basically it didn't get me a receipt the first time at the machine I tried, so I thought the transaction didn't go through, so I tried again at another machine. I didn't even bother recouping the $6.50 that was stolen from me.  It's too much aggravation.  You'll wait MONTHS in some cases, and then they send you a gazillion checks with these stupid amounts on it.  

Always nice when you get to ride an GA and FP RTS in the same day, especially considering both only have a small amount of them.

As for the SBS machines destroying Metrocards, never happened to me personally but I seen happen to a lady where the machine wouldn't spit out her Metrocard so it was stuck inside the machine. I hope that never happens to me as I have a half fare card and having it messed up by an SBS machine would such an hassle to get an new one.

Today on the B42, two out of the three buses on the line is RTS's😁 the third bus is a Cuomo XD40.

Of course the 42 is bunched up where two buses are running in pairs, this happens so often on Saturdays I wonder if their scheduled to run in pairs. 

My walk from my home to the (L) I saw 5 RTS in total, two on the 42, two on the 6 and one on the 82.

Edited by trainfan22

3 minutes ago, Melbx15 said:

With all the SBS routes getting new buses with the S79 getting theirs soon what happened with the Q70(LaGuardiaLink)SBS  I haven’t herd nothing about it getting new buses 

No plans for that yet, since they would have to modify the new Blue and Gold wave SBS scheme to incorporate part of the current Q70 SBS scheme with the clouds and planes decorations on it. Given the status of the line as an Airport Connector, the current blue and gold wave SBS scheme just won’t cut it.

14 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Just something to notice, Proterras haven't seen much service lately. I'm guessing because of maintenance and/or operators likely not liking how they operate.

Yeah, I noticed Quill doesn't play with their XE40's. They've been sending them out on the M42 and M50 a couple of times... They should try them on the M66 and M72, performance on those 2 routes should be quaint.

32 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Anyone (@ViaGaribaldi8) ever make a balance protection claim for a lost/stolen unlimited card? I got a confirmation on the screen after submitting it, but no email confirmation, and I have yet to get the money refunded. How long should it take to get the money back?

Balance Protection Claim? What I have done in the past is just had AMEX refund me my money. One time I accidentally cut up an express bus unlimited and didn’t realize it until after the fact!! I’m like oh sh*t!! I usually would buy two at a time before you could refill them and was getting rid of the “old ones”.  I called up AMEX and told them I lost my card (lol) and they took care of it. I don’t think they even bother disputing it with the (MTA) like other companies do and I used to dispute a lot of things like being overcharged at Whole Foods or anytime I was unhappy with something. They always took care of it. What exactly is Balance Protection Claim?

If I think I understand what you’re referring to, you mean when you report your card as lost or stolen (even if it isn’t)? I’ve done that without AMEX when I purchased express bus unlimited cards with my bank card. I call the (MTA) for that (the number they give on your Metrocard slip). They either take care of it then or transfer me to another number. I give them the debit card I used and then they refund the card whatever the amount should be (usually pro-rated for unlimited express bus cards), and the money is back in the account in about 2-3 business days or less.

I never knew there was another way to do it. Did you do it online?

8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Balance Protection Claim? What I have done in the past is just had AMEX refund me my money. One time I accidentally cut up an express bus unlimited and didn’t realize it until after the fact!! I’m like oh sh*t!! I usually would buy two at a time before you could refill them and was getting rid of the “old ones”.  I called up AMEX and told them I lost my card (lol) and they took care of it. I don’t think they even bother disputing it with the (MTA) like other companies do and I used to dispute a lot of things like being overcharged at Whole Foods or anytime I was unhappy with something. They always took care of it. What exactly is Balance Protection Claim?

If I think I understand what you’re referring to, you mean when you report your card as lost or stolen (even if it isn’t)? I’ve done that without AMEX when I purchased express bus unlimited cards with my bank card. I call the (MTA) for that (the number they give on your Metrocard slip). They either take care of it then or transfer me to another number. I give them the debit card I used and then they refund the card whatever the amount should be (usually pro-rated for unlimited express bus cards), and the money is back in the account in about 2-3 business days or less.

I never knew there was another way to do it. Did you do it online?

Correct--that is the Balance Protection Plan I was referring to. Yes, they now have an online form to fill out to get the money back. It's only been a few days, and they are probably slow after Labor Day so I will give it some more time. 

So I picked the :bus_bullet_b82: for the month of September and I am confused on how the SBS will work. That loop around the Rockaway Parkway (L) station kills about 15-20 minutes with all  the traffic. They should keep the :bus_bullet_b6: and :bus_bullet_b82: on Flatlands ave. There are other bus lines that stop about 2 blocks from a subway station and the people walk to and from them. I did see the pdf file on it and it is insane that there won't be a bus lane on kings highway between the kings highway :N: station and Ocean ave.

Correct me if I am wrong anywhere about this.

48 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Correct--that is the Balance Protection Plan I was referring to. Yes, they now have an online form to fill out to get the money back. It's only been a few days, and they are probably slow after Labor Day so I will give it some more time. 

No wonder. That's why I do it by phone. If you can get a nice lady on the phone and sweet talk them, they may process it quicker. lol

Since I’m bored, I’ve decided to list multiple  bus routes with the same terminals (or very close to one another), but have different destination readings:

B3: BERGEN BEACH 71 ST

B41: BERGEN BEACH VETERANS AV

B14: CROWN HTS UTICA AV 

B17: CROWN HTS EASTERN PKWY

B35: SUNSET PARK 1 AV

B70: SUNSET PARK 39 ST-1 AV

Edited by S78 via Hylan

16 hours ago, XBht26 said:

So I picked the :bus_bullet_b82: for the month of September and I am confused on how the SBS will work. That loop around the Rockaway Parkway (L) station kills about 15-20 minutes with all  the traffic. They should keep the :bus_bullet_b6: and :bus_bullet_b82: on Flatlands ave. There are other bus lines that stop about 2 blocks from a subway station and the people walk to and from them. I did see the pdf file on it and it is insane that there won't be a bus lane on kings highway between the kings highway :N: station and Ocean ave.

Correct me if I am wrong anywhere about this.

They're converting Glenwood Road into a two way street between E 103 and Rockaway Parkway. The westbound lane will be for buses only, so the B6 and B82 will be using that instead of Flatlands.