Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

Since I’m bored, I’ve decided to list multiple  bus routes with the same terminals (or very close to one another), but have different destination readings:

 

B3: BERGEN BEACH 71 ST

B41: BERGEN BEACH VETERANS AV

 

B14: CROWN HTS UTICA AV 

B17: CROWN HTS EASTERN PKWY

 

B35: SUNSET PARK 1 AV

B70: SUNSET PARK 39 ST-1 AV

 

 

 

Edited by S78 via Hylan
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, XBht26 said:

So I picked the :bus_bullet_b82: for the month of September and I am confused on how the SBS will work. That loop around the Rockaway Parkway (L) station kills about 15-20 minutes with all  the traffic. They should keep the :bus_bullet_b6: and :bus_bullet_b82: on Flatlands ave. There are other bus lines that stop about 2 blocks from a subway station and the people walk to and from them. I did see the pdf file on it and it is insane that there won't be a bus lane on kings highway between the kings highway :N: station and Ocean ave.

 

Correct me if I am wrong anywhere about this.

They're converting Glenwood Road into a two way street between E 103 and Rockaway Parkway. The westbound lane will be for buses only, so the B6 and B82 will be using that instead of Flatlands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Since I’m bored, I’ve decided to list multiple  bus routes with the same terminals (or very close to one another), but have different destination readings:

B3: BERGEN BEACH 71 ST

B41: BERGEN BEACH VETERANS AV

B14: CROWN HTS UTICA AV 

B17: CROWN HTS EASTERN PKWY

B35: SUNSET PARK 1 AV

B70: SUNSET PARK 39 ST-1 AV

All the SI Limiteds that say "St. George" while the local counterparts say "St. George Ferry"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Since I’m bored, I’ve decided to list multiple  bus routes with the same terminals (or very close to one another), but have different destination readings:

 

B3: BERGEN BEACH 71 ST

B41: BERGEN BEACH VETERANS AV

 

B14: CROWN HTS UTICA AV 

B17: CROWN HTS EASTERN PKWY

 

B35: SUNSET PARK 1 AV

B70: SUNSET PARK 39 ST-1 AV

 

 

 

B82 (Local): Coney Island - Stillwell Avenue

                     Spring Creek Towers-Seaview Avenue

B82 LIMITED: Coney Island

                         Spring Creek Towers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

All the SI Limiteds that say "St. George" while the local counterparts say "St. George Ferry"

You can get a different destination reading depending on the type of bus also. For example, SBS wrapped S79 buses (expect for bus #4278) say STATEN ISLAND MALL. While 4278 and other unwrapped buses on the S79 say, SI MALL.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

All the SI Limiteds that say "St. George" while the local counterparts say "St. George Ferry"

Those are the S91, S96, and S98.

And I forgot these:

S48: ARLINGTON HOLLAND AV

S98: MARNRS HBR 

 

S54: ELTINGVILLE RICHMOND AV

S59: HYLAN BL

S89: ELTINGVILLE HYLAN BLVD

Edited by S78 via Hylan
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Those are the S91, S96, and S98.

And I forgot these:

S48: ARLINGTON HOLLAND AV

S98: MARNRS HBR 

S54: ELTINGVILLE RICHMOND AV

S59: HYLAN BL

S89: ELTINGVILLE HYLAN BLVD

I distinctly remember those signs on the S92 & S94 as well, though they may have been updated recently. 

Yeah, the S48/98 one always gets me. I personally consider Arlington to be a separate neighborhood, but some people consider it to be a part of Mariners Harbor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I distinctly remember those signs on the S92 & S94 as well, though they may have been updated recently

I think the S94 says SI MALL in one flash and then YUKON AVE in another while the S44 just says SI MALL, YUKON AVE. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I think the S94 says SI MALL in one flash and then YUKON AVE in another while the S44 just says SI MALL, YUKON AVE. 

You're correct with the S94.

The S91 says "SI Mall" (no mention of Yukon Avenue) and then "Limited" while the S61 says "SI Mall/Yukon Avenue" in one flash like the S44.

Edited by checkmatechamp13
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MTA Bus said:

They're converting Glenwood Road into a two way street between E 103 and Rockaway Parkway. The westbound lane will be for buses only, so the B6 and B82 will be using that instead of Flatlands.

It’s that left turn onto rockaway parkway heading south to flatlands ave is what concerns me the most.  I sit through 5 lights trying to get through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Since I’m bored, I’ve decided to list multiple  bus routes with the same terminals (or very close to one another), but have different destination readings:

 

B3: BERGEN BEACH 71 ST

B41: BERGEN BEACH VETERANS AV

 

B14: CROWN HTS UTICA AV 

B17: CROWN HTS EASTERN PKWY

 

B35: SUNSET PARK 1 AV

B70: SUNSET PARK 39 ST-1 AV

 

 

 

:bus_bullet_b12: : East NY Alabama ave

:bus_bullet_b25: : Broadway jct Alabama Ave

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the B82, X28, or X38 ever been signed for Canal Avenue? Or has that destination always been listed as "Bensonhurst / Cropsey Av"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, P3F said:

Have the B82, X28, or X38 ever been signed for Canal Avenue? Or has that destination always been listed as "Bensonhurst / Cropsey Av"?

Always Bensonhurst / Cropsey Av... Why would they be signed for Canal Avenue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Always Bensonhurst / Cropsey Av... Why would they be signed for Canal Avenue?

UfVhKQ.jpg

Because that's the terminal for buses not continuing to Sea Gate.

The B82 also ended there before it was extended to Coney Island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, P3F said:

UfVhKQ.jpg

Because that's the terminal for buses not continuing to Sea Gate.

The B82 also ended there before it was extended to Coney Island.

Right, but Cropsey has always been used as signage. It just makes it clearer since Cropsey is a main avenue. For marketing purposes, riders will know Cropsey, especially those looking for the express bus since it can be quite a walk to the subway depending on one's location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Probably the same reason the B16/X27/X37 say Bay Ridge Shore Road...

Yep, pretty much.  There are also instances in which listing the corridor clearly indicates to riders where the buses can and can't go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, P3F said:

Have the B82, X28, or X38 ever been signed for Canal Avenue? Or has that destination always been listed as "Bensonhurst / Cropsey Av"?

Good question.

- The express buses have never been signed as going to Canal avenue (to my knowledge anyway)....

- Before the B82 became the resultant route of the merging of the old B5 & B50, the B5 signage used to read Canal av..... That I remember.

However, I can't recall if the B82 (before it later got extended to the corner of Surf/Stillwell - which was before Mermaid Loop was ever a bus terminal) was ever signed up for Canal av on that end of the route...

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Probably the same reason the B16/X27/X37 say Bay Ridge Shore Road...

Just a hunch, but since the x27/37 obviously runs in Manhattan, to display Canal av on the signage would probably have people thinking that it's some sort of short turn to Canal st

Funny how people (by that, I mean the avg. rider) pay attention to destination signs when they contain some sort of error, or showing the wrong destination sign....

Edited by B35 via Church
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Good question.

- The express buses have never been signed as going to Canal avenue (to my knowledge anyway)....

- Before the B82 became the resultant route of the merging of the old B5 & B50, the B5 signage used to read Canal av..... That I remember.

However, I can't recall if the B82 (before it later got extended to the corner of Surf/Stillwell - which was before Mermaid Loop was ever a bus terminal) was ever signed up for Canal av on that end of the route...

Just a hunch, but since the x27/37 obviously runs in Manhattan, to display Canal av on the signage would probably have people thinking that it's some sort of short turn to Canal st

Funny how people (by that, I mean the avg. rider) pay attention to destination signs when they contain some sort of error, or showing the wrong destination sign....

the B82 absolutely used to be signed up as Gravesend ÷ Canal Av before the coney island extension. i can't recall the signage used for the x28

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it me or the Brooklyn and Queens bus maps have too many insets? Again, I have issues with routes displaying different towns/streets like the rest of you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

the B82 absolutely used to be signed up as Gravesend ÷ Canal Av before the coney island extension. i can't recall the signage used for the x28

Well.... That confirms it then.

The locals were signed up for Canal & the expresses weren't....

2 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Is it me or the Brooklyn and Queens bus maps have too many insets? Again, I have issues with routes displaying different towns/streets like the rest of you

AFAIC....

- The Brooklyn map could do w/o the Wililamsburg & the LIC insets... The Downtown Bklyn. inset should be moved to the upper left hand corner (sorry New Jersey) & be made a little larger.... That would free up the upper right hand corner of the map - which I'd move the Ridgewood inset over to, and have that one enlarged as well..... The JFK inset can remain on the lower right hand corner.... 3 insets total.

- The # of insets on the Queens map I don't have an issue with - It's the sizing of them in general..... Specifically, I've always found the Rockaways inset to be immense & the LIC inset should be displayed as large as it is on the Brooklyn map, on the Queens map....

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the service changes on the (MTA) website can be very confusing.

Quote

MTA Service Status

Delays  Posted: 09/08/2018  2:02PM 

SIM1C, SIM3C and SIM4C buses are running with delays in both directions because of traffic and detours along the route. 

Service Change  Posted: 09/08/2018  2:02PM 

SIM1C buses are detoured because of a road obstruction at 57 St and 5 Av.

Detour is as follows:

Staten Island Bound: Via 7 Av, left on 42 St, right on 5 Av and regular route.


Planned Detour 
Sep 8, Saturday, 10 AM to 5 PM
Southbound SIM1C, SIM3C, SIM4C, X27 and X28 buses rerouted from 5 Av at 57 St to 42 St

Due to a parade, buses run via Lexington Av making corresponding stops.


Show Reroute Details

Via 57 St
Right on Lexington Av
Right on 42 St
Left on 5 Av then regular route

Planned Detour 
Sep 8, Saturday, 10 AM to 6 PM
Southbound SIM1C, SIM3C, SIM4C, X27 and X28 buses rerouted from Broadway at 14 St to Houston St

Due to a local event, buses run via 3 Av making corresponding stops.

Show Reroute Details

Via Broadway
Left on 14 St
Right on 3 Av
Right on Houston St
Left on Broadway then regular route

 

3

So the SIM1c is running via 7th and Lexington? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Well.... That confirms it then.

The locals were signed up for Canal & the expresses weren't....

AFAIC....

- The Brooklyn map could do w/o the Wililamsburg & the LIC insets... The Downtown Bklyn. inset should be moved to the upper left hand corner (sorry New Jersey) & be made a little larger.... That would free up the upper right hand corner of the map - which I'd move the Ridgewood inset over to, and have that one enlarged as well..... The JFK inset can remain on the lower right hand corner.... 3 insets total.

- The # of insets on the Queens map I don't have an issue with - It's the sizing of them in general..... Specifically, I've always found the Rockaways inset to be immense & the LIC inset should be displayed as large as it is on the Brooklyn map, on the Queens map....

The Elmhurst/Rego Park inset still has the incorrect Q88 routing You think the SI Mall inset should return to the SI bus map?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.