BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Anyone noticed that all the new recent new flyers, the rear door announcement is a different person also saying the type of route and destination 

I agree. They sound like the older version of Siri. It’s even on the site https://www.naturalreaders.com/online/ under the voice of Susan (in the premium section).

What's this I'm hearing a new bus route running from Canarsie Pier to Utica av subway? Is this true or just BS....

Of all the places to hear about this at, I was standing in line at popeye's last night & the 4 dudes that were behind me were talking about a "bus running from down by the pier over on up to Utica..." "yeah yeah, the 3 and the 4" (stated verbatim)....

I hope this isn't some attempt to merge the B17 & the B42 as part of that Brooklyn redesign or whatever, because that sounds like trouble....

4 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

What's this I'm hearing a new bus route running from Canarsie Pier to Utica av subway? Is this true or just BS....

Of all the places to hear about this at, I was standing in line at popeye's last night & the 4 dudes that were behind me were talking about a "bus running from down by the pier over on up to Utica..." "yeah yeah, the 3 and the 4" (stated verbatim)....

I hope this isn't some attempt to merge the B17 & the B42 as part of that Brooklyn redesign or whatever, because that sounds like trouble....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I don't think they should merge the B17 and B42. However, there should be a branch of the B42 that serves Seaview Avenue east of Rockaway Parkway so that the residents in the Seaview Village section of Canarsie can have direct access to the (L) line post shutdown, rather then rely on the slow ride on the B17 to the (3) and (4) at Utica Avenue, speeding trips for everyone. More details in the bus proposals thread for Brooklyn.

43 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Please. No 17/42 merger. Thanks. Management. 

At least the good news is that it is a PEAK only L5. Monday-Friday. 

All these ambitious plans, but can’t make current bus service feasible. 

Yeah and next we'll be hearing that it's because of broken down buses.  BS.  They're bringing all of these new buses online and if breakdowns are the problem, they can accelerate the retirement of all of those buses from 1996 - 1998 that they still have running around and bring the new buses online.  Enough excusing their poor service.  It's sad that people are still in denial about this agency.  They can't make service.  Point blank.  Not a day goes by when I'm not sure about whether or not my bus will come on time if at all.  This week alone, twice my bus has been 10 - 20 minutes late.  With service so erratic during a week when traffic is usually light, it isn't hard to see why people are fleeing.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

16 minutes ago, Elmhurst said:

Today I was waiting for a College Pt bound Q65 at 164th and Booth Memorial, the 1st bus skips my stop while in service,  so a few minutes go by and a 2nd bus stops for me and some guy. The driver waves her hand over the farebox as if to say "Not working". So I go take a seat and while I'm doing that, the guy behind me pays his fare in coins. Later during the ride she's picking up more riders and they pay with their metrocards. I'm left wondering what the heck. Sure it was great saving $2.75 but aren't buses supposed to go out of service if the farebox is not functioning?

Sometimes drivers just wave people with Metrocards onto the bus if they're behind schedule. Saw this happen every once in a blue moon on the B6 Limited by the Rockaway (L) station. In the case of a farebox malfunction, they'd probably be OOS once a driver makes it to their terminal.

Edited by RTSTdrive

58 minutes ago, Elmhurst said:

Today I was waiting for a College Pt bound Q65 at 164th and Booth Memorial, the 1st bus skips my stop while in service,  so a few minutes go by and a 2nd bus stops for me and some guy. The driver waves her hand over the farebox as if to say "Not working". So I go take a seat and while I'm doing that, the guy behind me pays his fare in coins. Later during the ride she's picking up more riders and they pay with their metrocards. I'm left wondering what the heck. Sure it was great saving $2.75 but aren't buses supposed to go out of service if the farebox is not functioning?

Most of the time, console would rather keep the bus in service with a broken farebox than to take the bus OOS and mess up service. Buses would get swapped mid-route usually.

13 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I don't think they should merge the B17 and B42. However, there should be a branch of the B42 that serves Seaview Avenue east of Rockaway Parkway so that the residents in the Seaview Village section of Canarsie can have direct access to the (L) line post shutdown, rather then rely on the slow ride on the B17 to the (3) and (4) at Utica Avenue, speeding trips for everyone. More details in the bus proposals thread for Brooklyn.

What the wastern part of Canarsie , west of rockaway parkway (90-80 streets) , what benefits do we gets ? We don’t have direct service to trains?

9 minutes ago, Kingjunior34 said:

What the wastern part of Canarsie , west of rockaway parkway (90-80 streets) , what benefits do we gets ? We don’t have direct service to trains?

They would get enhanced B6 and B17 service on Avenue L (B6 rerouted with other routes replacing it, B17 service on Avenue L expanded). There is a post that I made in the Brooklyn Proposals Thread that proposes what can be done to better service both sides of Canarsie.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Some of the Q46s have the automated announcements. The LIJ buses go:

"This is Q46 to limited leeeejjj hospital" 

Someone better fire the programmer...

What buses have those programs? Are they the 34 NovaBus LFS buses assigned to the route that runs the Q46, Queens Village Depot?

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Some of the Q46s have the automated announcements. The LIJ buses go:

"This is Q46 to limited leeeejjj hospital" 

Someone better fire the programmer...

Right. The way the programmer(s) simply don't program some typeable shortcut for most of the otherwise longer names/words for the destinations is out of place.

"This is B82 to Limited Spring C R K T W R S"  vs "Route B 82 Limited. Spring Creek Towers" can make a difference for regular commuters and especially for people with impaired vision. 

Edited by RTSTdrive

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

They would get enhanced B6 and B17 service on Avenue L (B6 rerouted with other routes replacing it, B17 service on Avenue L expanded). There is a post that I made in the Brooklyn Proposals Thread that proposes what can be done to better service both sides of Canarsie.

Is this just a proposal or it is confirmed to be happening because residents who live west of rockaway parkway/flatlands ave needs direct service to the train stations as well this L5 line would only benefit half of Canarsie. Some riders would have to take 1 or 2 buses to catch the L5 bus

8 hours ago, RTSTdrive said:

Right. The way the programmer(s) simply don't program some typeable shortcut for most of the otherwise longer names/words for the destinations is out of place.

"This is B82 to Limited Spring C R K T W R S"  vs "Route B 82 Limited. Spring Creek Towers" can make a difference for regular commuters and especially for people with impaired vision. 

I think it has to do with how the dest signs are programmend on bus time.