BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/6/2018 at 3:34 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

Since I’m bored, I’ve decided to list multiple  bus routes with the same terminals (or very close to one another), but have different destination readings:

B3: BERGEN BEACH 71 ST

B41: BERGEN BEACH VETERANS AV

B14: CROWN HTS UTICA AV 

B17: CROWN HTS EASTERN PKWY

B35: SUNSET PARK 1 AV

B70: SUNSET PARK 39 ST-1 AV

Q35: Brooklyn College Flatbush Ave Sta

B11: Midwood Flatbush Ave

Construction on the B46 sbs stops on avenue n and flatlands and avenue k are finished but buses still stop at the temp bus stops. Why won’t the mta fix this? It’s been finished for a few months now. Also the Canarsie construction has been finished so buses could go their original path again. Why are buses still turning down rockaway parkway to flatlands avenue? 

For the past 3 days, I've been taking the Q52/Q53 SBS on Woodhaven Blvd so that I can take the (A) to school. Since I don't ride SBS often, I must say that I'm impressed when it comes to boarding. If fare evasion wasn't an issue and if all buses had some sort of security system (aside from cameras) installed, then most/every bus could be SBS, there by eliminating the title 

46 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I must say that I'm impressed when it comes to boarding. If fare evasion wasn't an issue and if all buses had some sort of security system (aside from cameras) installed, then most/every bus could be SBS, there by eliminating the title 

That's the one good thing I really like about the Q53 and Q52 SBS (and most SBS routes in general). Pay before boarding really helps speed up the buses during school and rush hours (at least from where I live in the Rockaway's). The reason every bus can't be SBS is since many routes don't warrant the ridership for bus lanes, staff to check for fare evasion, pay before boarding, not to mention the MTA's budget.

37 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

What's going to happen with those 1996 RTS that are being stored at LGA? 

Aren't they being (or already are) retired? I'd assume they'll be scrapped or moved again soon? Just my opinion. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

23 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

They'll be scrapped eventually, presumably once enough 2005 old gens from fresh pond get transferred over.

---

9094 ran on the Q102 on friday evening

Wait so they're still running? I thought they were all retired. 

If they're still out there, what time do they usually run? 

We often talk a lot about the lack of NYPD enforcement of bus lanes...

Perhaps we could do what SEPTA and the Philadelphia Parking Authority proposed in February, where buses could issue tickets in real time through the use of their front facing cameras?

http://www2.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/cars-blocking-bus-stops-septa-ppa-traffic-streets-philly-simple-fix-20180226.html

Here, bus drivers can use a trigger on the bus to take pictures with the forward-facing camera, Petri said, and those pictures of violators could be sent to the PPA, which would then issue a violation to that license plate.

"It's astounding the number of violations," Petri said after seeing SEPTA video of violations that buses encounter on city streets. "Tickets issued per day would be astounding."

The offense, illegal parking in a bus zone, would net a violator a $76 fine in Center City and $51 everywhere else in the city. While Petri anticipated significant revenue if the PPA is allowed to use bus cameras for ticketing, he expected the money coming in would decline as drivers learned they could not get away with blocking bus stops.

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

We often talk a lot about the lack of NYPD enforcement of bus lanes...

Perhaps we could do what SEPTA and the Philadelphia Parking Authority proposed in February, where buses could issue tickets in real time through the use of their front facing cameras?

http://www2.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/cars-blocking-bus-stops-septa-ppa-traffic-streets-philly-simple-fix-20180226.html

We used to be able to do this. DOT complained about who was getting the revenue and that was stopped.

21 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Construction on the B46 sbs stops on avenue n and flatlands and avenue k are finished but buses still stop at the temp bus stops. Why won’t the mta fix this? It’s been finished for a few months now. Also the Canarsie construction has been finished so buses could go their original path again. Why are buses still turning down rockaway parkway to flatlands avenue? 

They haven't put the bus stops back yet. 

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Apparently the program is technically still going on and as indicated on NYC.gov

https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/service/1286/bus-lane-camera-violations

This is something different. What @Around the Horn is referencing involves using the camera system on the bus itself.

Just now, Future ENY OP said:

When did the (MTA) got rid of the program.  I noticed the buses in FB (since they have SBS) don't have forward facing cameras anymore

A while ago, DOT took them to court and the program was ended. The program used cameras on the new buses, so we're talking about the NGs and anything newer.

2 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

A while ago, DOT took them to court and the program was ended. The program used cameras on the new buses, so we're talking about the NGs and anything newer.

No problem good sir.

Didn't even realize that. In a way the program needs to return. There are very few street light cameras throughout the city.

19 hours ago, MTA Bus said:

Same with Avenue H. I live by the Avenue K stop and one time, I (as well as several other passengers) fly by the temporary stop there and proceed to the new bus bulb. Then another bus came to the temporary stop and we complained to the driver, who said that the other bus was breaking rules. Another time, before that incident, we were waiting at the new bus stop, and a B46 SBS bus stopped at the temporary bus stop, so we had to run there, and we complained to the driver. Even my sister had to ride from Avenue M to Avenue H on the B46 local and pick up her SBS ticket there rather than walking to Avenue N and risk the bus leaving her at Avenue K or Avenue H.

19 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Why did the DOT take the MTA to court over beneficial bus lane cameras on the buses themselves?

7 hours ago, MTA Bus said:

On 9/15/2018 at 8:15 PM, Brillant93 said:

Bus stops are a NYCDOT issue, not an MTA issue.

For more information, you may contact Bus Stop Management by phone at (646) 892-1242, or by e-mail at ICBPSAdmin@dot.nyc.gov.