BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

30 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even if they select a vendor later this year at the earliest, we won't see those buses until maybe sometime in 2019 assuming there are no delays, so 2019-2020 and by then they'll be 18 years old.  They already can't make service on some lines as it is.  Last week, we had at least two break downs during rush hour with one SIM30 broken down on the side of the road going through NJ.  Of course there are no more fillers, so some people got on any express bus that would stop which obviously puts them out of the way.  

The ones that break down in the HOV lane are the worsr because theres no way to get out.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/6/2018 at 9:36 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Likely the extra M34 bus service the MTA said they would provide.

However, now that it's nighttime, they're signing the buses up as 'SUBWAY SHUTTLE' , and going from 12th Avenue straight to 8th Avenue, and then end at 7th Avenue. There's less than a handful of M34s on the entire route, making local stops. Nice one MTA.

Making local stops???? There are no local stops and the one's that were shuttles weren't the M34. They were shuttles lol.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Earlier around 2PM their was three B60 bunched up Bridge Plaza bound in Cararsie.. first time seeing the 60 bunched in threes,  it was basically midday too which made it even more odd.

That's actually pretty common seeing as they run every 10 minutes at that time, and the run is pretty long. The construction in the Canarsie area is what tends to buch them right now. Other than that, the leader/follower system has B60 buses back-to-back at most times of the day. 

Take this very moment for example, there are a few back-to-back headed in both directions now. 

8 minutes ago, East New York said:

Making local stops???? There are no local stops and the one's that were shuttles weren't the M34. They were shuttles lol.

You know what I meant (the regular SBS stops).

There were some buses running as M34s during the event. Perhaps they changed it after the event ended (which made sense). Also, yes, I don't dispute that they were shuttles (because they just went from Javits to Penn). However, those buses for whatever reason were appear on bustime as M34s, even with the destination signs saying 'SUBWAY SHUTTLE'. 

11 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

You know what I meant (the regular SBS stops).

There were some buses running as M34s during the event. Perhaps they changed it after the event ended (which made sense). Also, yes, I don't dispute that they were shuttles (because they just went from Javits to Penn). However, those buses for whatever reason were appear on bustime as M34s, even with the destination signs saying 'SUBWAY SHUTTLE'. 

I'm still a bit confused as to what you are saying though. Some buses were running as M34's?? What I am not understanding is how buses would show up on BT as the M34 if they were shuttles. Doesn't really make sense seeing as the GPS is tied into the farebox and destination code. 

What day and time was this?

5 minutes ago, East New York said:

Some buses were running as M34's?? What I am not understanding is how buses would show up on BT as the M34 if they were shuttles. 

Some of these "shuttles" were signed as the M34 to 7 Av. A few RTS and Orion OGs were spotted with that signage this weekend.

8 minutes ago, East New York said:

I'm still a bit confused as to what you are saying though. Some buses were running as M34's?? What I am not understanding is how buses would show up on BT as the M34 if they were shuttles. Doesn't really make sense seeing as the GPS is tied into the farebox and destination code. 

What day and time was this?

This was Saturday evening, around 9-10 PM. All the shuttles were showing up on Bustime as M34 buses, even though all of them had their signs as 'SUBWAY SHUTTLE'. They were showing up on the countdown clocks at stops along the M34 as well. 

The (7) shuttles, which also had 'SUBWAY SHUTTLE' signs, properly did not show up.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Earlier around 2PM their was three B60 bunched up Bridge Plaza bound in Cararsie.. first time seeing the 60 bunched in threes,  it was basically midday too which made it even more odd.

And guess what else just bunched in threes...

The S59 on 15 minutes headways at Port Richmond/Post.

Edited by Lil 57

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I was checking BusTime for the past couple of days and it seems like the last Northbound S89 of the day has 2882 running on it.  

Is there still construction on the Bayonne Bridge? I remember that MCI had something to do with buses being rerouted over the Goethals after 7pm.

4 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I checked MYmta and it’s working now, but why did they shut down BusTime in the morning?

Likely went off-line, which happens here and there.  You have to realize that some of these things are still running on very old platforms.  I wonder if they have gotten everything off of Windows XP? I forget which things they had running on it, but it's absurd either way.  BusTime was created in-house, so it comes with its own kinks.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Likely went off-line, which happens here and there.  You have to realize that some of these things are still running on very old platforms.  I wonder if they have gotten everything off of Windows XP? I forget which things they had running on it, but it's absurd either way.  BusTime was created in-house, so it comes with its own kinks.

If it were up to me I would create a far better and advanced bus time.

8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

If it were up to me I would create a far better and advanced bus time.

Maybe have the systems all running on Windows 10 laptops one can get at Best Buy and we’ll have no more incidents of BusTime going off-line without notice.

22 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Maybe have the systems all running on Windows 10 laptops one can get at Best Buy and we’ll have no more incidents of BusTime going off-line without notice.

lol... You can donate your time and money to make it happen!  :D(MTA) = Broke save the $1 billion Fulton Street subway station.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I know the on board announcement screens on the S79 SBS run windows 7. Even though there not in operation you can see them on the home screen sometimes.