Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Likely went off-line, which happens here and there.  You have to realize that some of these things are still running on very old platforms.  I wonder if they have gotten everything off of Windows XP? I forget which things they had running on it, but it's absurd either way.  BusTime was created in-house, so it comes with its own kinks.

If it were up to me I would create a far better and advanced bus time.

8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Likely went off-line, which happens here and there.  You have to realize that some of these things are still running on very old platforms.  I wonder if they have gotten everything off of Windows XP? I forget which things they had running on it, but it's absurd either way.  BusTime was created in-house, so it comes with its own kinks.

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

If it were up to me I would create a far better and advanced bus time.

Maybe have the systems all running on Windows 10 laptops one can get at Best Buy and we’ll have no more incidents of BusTime going off-line without notice.

22 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Maybe have the systems all running on Windows 10 laptops one can get at Best Buy and we’ll have no more incidents of BusTime going off-line without notice.

lol... You can donate your time and money to make it happen!  :D(MTA) = Broke save the $1 billion Fulton Street subway station.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I know the on board announcement screens on the S79 SBS run windows 7. Even though there not in operation you can see them on the home screen sometimes.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

I know the on board announcement screens on the S79 SBS run windows 7. Even though there not in operation you can see them on the home screen sometimes.

I thought those were run by HTML?

37 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I thought those were run by HTML?

HTML is a programming language. Windows 7 is running the HTML code out to the display. 

2 minutes ago, mine248 said:

HTML is a programming language. Windows 7 is running the HTML code out to the display. 

I meant to say Linux sorry.

Just caught 2882 on the S88.

My last 3 days of BusTime checking can give you the times that 2882 would run on the S89. (Times are subject to change)

SB (Staten Island) - 5:25 PM

NB (New Jersey) - 6:20 PM

12 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Just caught 2882 on the S88.

My last 3 days of BusTime checking can give you the times that 2882 would run on the S89. (Times are subject to change)

SB (Staten Island) - 5:25 PM

See my post above. It's because it crosses the Bayonne Bridge after 7pm.

9 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

That's super overkill, for a screen that is essentially just pointed to a web page.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

See my post above. It's because it crosses the Bayonne Bridge after 7pm.

Yep, The 7:40 PM run has 2882 on it too. The runtime is also a good 30 minutes longer than the other SB runs due to the reroute.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Just caught 2882 on the S89.

SB (Staten Island) - 5:25 PM, 7:40 PM

New times, edits are in red.

Edited by Lil 57

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

That's super overkill, for a screen that is essentially just pointed to a web page.

How is a laptop with an i5 Processor running with >2.0 gHz speed overkill to run a server handling the manegement of the largest bus fleet in the nation?

Also, do you have any bright ideas to stop the morning knockout of BusTime that does not involve having to pick up gaming PCs or any other powerful PCs from Best Buy?

9 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

How is a laptop with an i5 Processor running with >2.0 gHz speed overkill to run a server handling the manegement of the largest bus fleet in the nation?

Also, do you have any bright ideas to stop the morning knockout of BusTime that does not involve having to pick up gaming PCs or any other powerful PCs from Best Buy?

1. Find system breaking bugs in the code and patch them

2. Have redundancies with the system. Like if one fails, get another one up and running.

3. I think the MTA will flatly refuse to buy gaming PCs from anywhere. They have huge markup and you don’t even need the GPU in it if the PC is prebuilt. (Plus, I think the MTA gets their computing needs from large volume corporate electronics companies like Dell, HP, or Apple.)

And yeah, an 8th gen Core i5 (or Core i7, for that matter), is probably unable to handle the demand for BusTime and other MTA services. 

Edited by mine248

MTA Service Status

Delays  Posted: 10/10/2018 10:21PM 
SIM1, SIM5, SIM6, SIM7, SIM9 and SIM10 bus service have concluded for the evening after earlier traffic on Hylan Blvd.

So the (MTA) now notifies us when service is done for the night?

Also, I've been noticing that on BusTime, the SIM4C trips to Arden Heights show up as regular SIM4 trips to Annadale.

Edited by Lil 57

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

9302, 9307 and 9348 are last RTS at MTA Bus

I love how most of the final 1996 RTS's to run in the MTA are Ulmer Park originals, 9085, 9094, 9302 and 9307. I've heard mixed opinions about how UP maintain their buses over the years but they must have really took care of those 96's for them to last 22 years. 

Edited by trainfan22
  • Upvote 2

I notice they added an S62 short-turn from CSI to Jewett Avenue at 7:45am. I wonder if that was related to the express redesign at all (give riders another bus to connect to the SIM3 for Midtown service or something). There's a trip that arrives at 7:45am (which existed for as long as I remember) but apparently they have it turn around and do a quick trip to Jewett for whatever reason (maybe on the way back to St. George for another trip)

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

So the (MTA) now notifies us when service is done for the night?

Also, I've been noticing that on BusTime, the SIM4C trips to Arden Heights show up as regular SIM4 trips to Annadale.

Yeah, the last trips of the day have to be completed no matter how late they go out. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

2686 is out on the S89 now. Is the Bayonne Bridge still closed?

It's closed from 9am to 3pm. Something like that. 

14 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Yep, The 7:40 PM run has 2882 on it too. The runtime is also a good 30 minutes longer than the other SB runs due to the reroute.

What's the reroute? Via Gothels?

13 minutes ago, Joel Up Front said:

Why do I hear newer (e.g. NGs and newer) buses release air at extended stops?  The engine also idles smoother after.

Pretty much all buses (old and new) do that regardless of generation or model. The engine's compressors release air after about 30 seconds regardless of the engine's RPM. TA has spec'd noticeably quieter air releases for the buses with the ISLG/ISL9/L9 engine.

Edited by RTSTdrive