Manhattan Express Bus

Gorgor

Well since they killed off the X90 a year ago, Manhattan is left without any express buses. I was wondering if there are any Bronx express buses that start somewhere downtown or in Battery Park City and run up the East Side, like on Madison, 3rd, or 1st.

And if there are, would I be able to get off or do they only drop off passengers starting in the Bronx?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well since they killed off the X90 a year ago, Manhattan is left without any express buses. I was wondering if there are any Bronx express buses that start somewhere downtown or in Battery Park City and run up the East Side, like on Madison, 3rd, or 1st.

And if there are, would I be able to get off or do they only drop off passengers starting in the Bronx?

The only Bronx Express Route that starts on the Battery Park End is the BxM18 and goes up to Riverdale, but I do believe that route goes up via Madison Avenue and down via 5th Avenue/Broadway. The only 3rd Avenue Bronx Express route I can think of is the BxM1.

The only Bronx Express Route that starts on the Battery Park End is the BxM18 and goes up to Riverdale, but I do believe that route goes up via Madison Avenue and down via 5th Avenue/Broadway. The only 3rd Avenue Bronx Express route I can think of is the BxM1.

The BxM18 actually looks like perfect for what I need, but if I were to take it starting from Battery Park, would I be allowed to get off in Manhattan, for example somewhere around like 86th and Madison?

The BxM18 actually looks like perfect for what I need, but if I were to take it starting from Battery Park, would I be allowed to get off in Manhattan, for example somewhere around like 86th and Madison?

Generally, no. If you get on an express bus in one borough, you are supposed to get if in the borough that it is going to (assuming it is not a route that starts and ends in one borough, but as you said, that route in Manhattan got cut already).

That said, if you happen to get on a bus in Manhattan, for example, that is both completing a run from Queens and going back to Queens, you can theoretically still ring the bell and get off somewhere else in Manhattan, since there are theoretically still passengers from Queens on the bus. However, the B/O might realize what you are doing and give you a hard time. I also would not count on this as a daily commuting strategy.

Generally, no. If you get on an express bus in one borough, you are supposed to get if in the borough that it is going to (assuming it is not a route that starts and ends in one borough, but as you said, that route in Manhattan got cut already).

That said, if you happen to get on a bus in Manhattan, for example, that is both completing a run from Queens and going back to Queens, you can theoretically still ring the bell and get off somewhere else in Manhattan, since there are theoretically still passengers from Queens on the bus. However, the B/O might realize what you are doing and give you a hard time. I also would not count on this as a daily commuting strategy.

Why would the driver care though? The MTA's getting my $5 and I'm not even going that far relatively.

Oh and I noticed that the MTA still has the X90 Schedule here and it includes something about the Select Bus Service, which wasn't around when they cut it. A bit interesting that they'd update a bus schedule after it's been cut.

Technically he could use the BxM18 as far as Madison/56th, thats a transfer point to connect w/ other express buses,but only with a Metrocard.

Whether that's economical is up to him.

Technically he could use the BxM18 as far as Madison/56th, thats a transfer point to connect w/ other express buses,but only with a Metrocard.

Whether that's economical is up to him.

Oh, so there's no stops past 56th street?

The BxM1 lets passengers off in Inwood, so it can be construed as a Manhattan express bus.

The BxM1 lets passengers off in Inwood, so it can be construed as a Manhattan express bus.

Well I don't really care what stops up there, I'm really looking for an easier, less stressful way to commute. The so-called "alternatives" that the MTA gave when they cut the X90 are ridiculous, and I doubt that they even ever took the M15 or (4)(5)(6) during the morning rush because those are ridiculous. Not only do they take longer, but they're so packed that you might not even get on the first one, oh and you can definitely forget about even getting a seat. I really wish they didn't cut the express bus, but rather just jack up the price to like $10 or $15. The majority of the riders would most likely still use it and pay that much.

Oh, so there's no stops past 56th street?

That's the last stop in Manhantten so people can transfer to other Bronx express routes that don't go Downtown. No other express would get you close...the Queens Downtown routes head straight for the QM Tunnel and Brooklyn head for the Battery Tunnel.

Well I don't really care what stops up there, I'm really looking for an easier, less stressful way to commute. The so-called "alternatives" that the MTA gave when they cut the X90 are ridiculous, and I doubt that they even ever took the M15 or (4)(5)(6) during the morning rush because those are ridiculous. Not only do they take longer, but they're so packed that you might not even get on the first one, oh and you can definitely forget about even getting a seat. I really wish they didn't cut the express bus, but rather just jack up the price to like $10 or $15. The majority of the riders would most likely still use it and pay that much.

But for $15, you could probably get a taxi down to Lower Mahattan.

I believe there is a shared-ride taxi stand at York Avenue/79th Street, where I believe they charge $6 to share a ride with 2 or 3 other people to get to Lower Manhattan.

But for $15, you could probably get a taxi down to Lower Mahattan.

I believe there is a shared-ride taxi stand at York Avenue/79th Street, where I believe they charge $6 to share a ride with 2 or 3 other people to get to Lower Manhattan.

I completely forgot about that - you really make a good point there. If the fare were to go too high people around 79th would just take a cab down.

When the X90 was cut the M15 was still a Limited...however, now that +SBS is now up and running on the M15 the new service should be a closer "alternative" to the X90.

I agree w/ checkmate with the fact that a person could hail a cab for $10-15 to go from Yorkville to go to Lower Manhattan or vice-versa compared to raising the fare for the X90 to that price. Plus that would be unfair if the X90 cost more than the other routes.

During AM Rush Hour, yellow median taxi offers group rate $6 per person along X90 corridor without stopping until it reach Pearl-State St-Battery Park City X90 route up to Vesey St.

These taxis cannot pickup other passengers.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/downloads/pdf/group_ride_presentatation_01_20_11.pdf

According to the TLC page, the only route Group Ride route left is the B71. The Q74/Q79 aren't even mentioned. Is this true?

Why would the driver care though? The MTA's getting my $5 and I'm not even going that far relatively.

Oh and I noticed that the MTA still has the X90 Schedule here and it includes something about the Select Bus Service, which wasn't around when they cut it. A bit interesting that they'd update a bus schedule after it's been cut.

SBS means Bx12SBS in this case.

I've seen folks use the express bus in Manhattan. Someone will get on at say 42nd & 5th and take the X10 Downtown and get off. Some folks may look and some may not. I've done it myself when I either couldn't get a bus Downtown or didn't feel like dealing with a packed local bus during rush hour and needed to get to a restaurant in the Chelsea area to meet some friends or whatever I was doing. The worst I've gotten is a few looks, but I could give two f*cks. There is really nothing the B/O can do unless he knows beforehand. He could take the BXM18 up so far and get off there if he wanted at least going Uptown anyway OR he could see if he could use one of the Queens express buses. I do know that when I've used the QM1A, they have a weird set up where they drop off and pick up passengers in certain spots because of where they come in to Manhattan at.

Some express bus riders will take any express bus Downtown and then wait at the first stop Downtown for say an X1 which will then empty out there or an X14 to Midtown and the B/O doesn't say anything because in theory it's an "unofficial" transfer point, this way they avoid the crowds that some lines have and get to the city quicker.

I also know that some displaced X16 riders take the X14 to Staten Island and then transfer to the X30 to get them up by Randall Manor and since they're regulars, the B/Os will usually let them on even though there are "Drop Off Only" locations.

In sum, if that's what works for you Gorgor go for it if you can do it. As a fellow express bus rider and supporter I feel your pain about losing the X90 and it's really pathetic that they cut it. :mad: As you have said, the (4)(5)(6) lines are packed beyond capacity and the M15 SBS is a joke IMO. It in no way replaces the convenience and comfort of the X90. Your representatives did put up a good fight, but perhaps you guys can start up a private bus line. In fact why don't you write to your local representatives to do just that? I'm sure you'd have enough signatures to get something together.

We are still looking to see if we can somehow get something going with the X16 that we lost and I do talk with some of the displaced X16 riders from time to time when I see them on other express buses about any new developments to get our express bus back.

Do keep me posted on what you do. We express bus riders have to stick together otherwise the (MTA) will try to eliminate all of our express bus services!! :mad:

I know the BXM3/BXM4 stops on some trips at 125th and Madison as well.

Techically it's supposed to be a pick up for Bronx/Yonkers riders only.

However on occasionaly fanning the BXm3 mainly weekends I seen riders board in Midtown and get off at 125th/Madison.

As far as the X90, it had SRO and should been 'saved.' Instead of running 2-3 hours in peak direction rush hours, as an 'express fare' route it could have changed and restructred. IMO it could had become a 'limited' called the M90 IMO. It could have ran as a downtown version of the (M98)and run non-stop between Chambers/Brooklyn Bridge exit and 42nd Street. Limited stops the rest of the route. Also could have replaced the former X25 as well.

I would have ran the M90 as follows.

Downtown

all stops on York between 92nd and 72nd. Then "limited stops along 2nd Ave between 57th and 42nd. (57th, 50th, 42nd/1st then via FDR)

*Express Non-stop* via FDR Drive.

Then all stops via M22 route to Battery Park City.

reactions?

I know the BXM3/BXM4 stops on some trips at 125th and Madison as well.

Techically it's supposed to be a pick up for Bronx/Yonkers riders only.

However on occasionaly fanning the BXm3 mainly weekends I seen riders board in Midtown and get off at 125th/Madison.

As far as the X90, it had SRO and should been 'saved.' Instead of running 2-3 hours in peak direction rush hours, as an 'express fare' route it could have changed and restructred. IMO it could had become a 'limited' called the M90 IMO. It could have ran as a downtown version of the (M98)and run non-stop between Chambers/Brooklyn Bridge exit and 42nd Street. Limited stops the rest of the route. Also could have replaced the former X25 as well.

I would have ran the M90 as follows.

Downtown

all stops on York between 92nd and 72nd. Then "limited stops along 2nd Ave between 57th and 42nd. (57th, 50th, 42nd/1st then via FDR)

*Express Non-stop* via FDR Drive.

Then all stops via M22 route to Battery Park City.

reactions?

How would it replace the X25 which went to Grand Central Station and the WTC?? I've used the X25 and replacing the X90 in its place would mean some serious meandering, as well as traffic problems along 42nd st. in particular.

How would it replace the X25 which went to Grand Central Station and the WTC?? I've used the X25 and replacing the X90 in its place would mean some serious meandering, as well as traffic problems along 42nd st. in particular.

Offering a comproise idea. Maybe you right and that a proposed M90 limited should enter the FDR at the Queensboro Bridge (woops Koch Bridge)intechange. As I said before the (MTA) could have made the former X90, similar version to the M98.

Thank you, Via Garibaldi 8. I know that there a fight to keep the bus running, but in the end the MTA still cut it. And once the MTA cuts something, you know that it's never going to come back, especially with the way the economy is now. I really wish that they actually tried to make a good alternative, or at least had a bus that would go up near the battery park area, because the only buses that run around there come from the West Side.

For the people coming from York or East End, it's a 10-15 minute walk to Lex, and the crosstown buses aren't any faster if you factor in waiting time, even if the buses skip every other stop because they get caught at a red anyways. Oh and don't even mention the "2nd Avenue Subway" because I doubt that they'll even finish the (Q) extension to 96th within the next 15 years.

I remember when Transport Athuma was operating on X90, I so few people getting on that X90 which was shutdown by NYCDOT. When I contact him, court is still going.

Wait - what's Transport Athuma?

And just a question, I know that it was shut down because the operating costs were high. Do those big express buses cost a lot more to run than a regular bus? I remember when they ran the regular buses with the big padded seats, and those were fine. Or even a regular bus with those hard seats would be fine.

Thank you, Via Garibaldi 8. I know that there a fight to keep the bus running, but in the end the MTA still cut it. And once the MTA cuts something, you know that it's never going to come back, especially with the way the economy is now. I really wish that they actually tried to make a good alternative, or at least had a bus that would go up near the battery park area, because the only buses that run around there come from the West Side.

For the people coming from York or East End, it's a 10-15 minute walk to Lex, and the crosstown buses aren't any faster if you factor in waiting time, even if the buses skip every other stop because they get caught at a red anyways. Oh and don't even mention the "2nd Avenue Subway" because I doubt that they'll even finish the (Q) extension to 96th within the next 15 years.

Wait - what's Transport Athuma?

And just a question, I know that it was shut down because the operating costs were high. Do those big express buses cost a lot more to run than a regular bus? I remember when they ran the regular buses with the big padded seats, and those were fine. Or even a regular bus with those hard seats would be fine.

I'm on your side 100% my friend. That line should've been kept just like the X16, but the (MTA) had it in for that line and the X16. I don't know if you keep in contact with any of your fellow ex X90 riders, but if you do, I would contact some of them and try to get something going with a private carrier. You guys deserve better than that so called "alternative" in the M15 and as you said, who knows when the SAS will be done and the (M15) does not serve Battery Park City, so those who used the X90 would have to make transfers one way or another, thus increasing their commuting time.

Offering a comproise idea. Maybe you right and that a proposed M90 limited should enter the FDR at the Queensboro Bridge (woops Koch Bridge)intechange. As I said before the (MTA) could have made the former X90, similar version to the M98.

Just trying to understand how you would set that up.

Archived