Manhattan Express Bus

Gorgor

^^and it feels like one, too... lol...

------

The reclining seat battles, that's number one on most express bus riders' list....

when someone reclines too far back (generally, I sit on about a 20 degree angle anyway), I put my hand on the back of the seat (lightly), as if to give off the impression that the seat can't recline no more.... Then if someone is still (forcefully) reclining the chair back, THAT's when I shove the seat forward forcefully, and go off w/ a bunch of expletives directed at that person.....

The sitting next to me thing, that doesn't bother me to the point where I cop an attitude, and/or actually get pissed off about it....

however, when people act like they don't want you to sit next to them (whether it be by facial expressions, or the way they move their things out the way; remember, most communication is non-verbal), those are the ones I give the dirtiest looks to...

^^ this isn't exclusive to the express bus.... but the attitudes pertaining to this on express bus, is the worst - compared to the local bus & the subway...

few other things, off-top, that irritate me about the express bus at times...

1) when people take up time, dropping a shitload of change in the farebox.... especially if I'm the person waiting on line behind that person...

2) the time it takes to prepare for, and onload, wheelchair passengers.... Not the wheelchair passengers themselves.....

This is worsened when there's no other seats available on the bus, and people start figuring & fussing over where they're gonna sit, b/c they have to get up to accomodate the wheelchair passenger....

That's why I NEVER sit in those seats.

3) the people that sit on the outer edges of seats, and have their f***ing knee and/or shoe stuck out in the (already narrow enough) walking aisle.... this is #2 on my list, behind the seat reclining thing....

4) this is a little nitpicky, but when you're amongst the last few ppl. left on the bus, the b/o asks you to sit more towards the front of the bus.... Most days, I don't feel like choppin it up with (talking to) the b/o's...

I know where I'm gettin off, and I'm not dozing off....

as for via's situation, I never had a situation where I had someone touch my belongings... He may be hot blooded, but I'm quick tempered... Result would have been equal; I would've reacted the same way.... b/c of it, I have to go extra lengths to prevent things from happening when I'm around the general public, whether it be on public transportation, walking the streets, or otherwise.....

The reclining seats, people are not entitled do to so. When i'm done each run I put the seats back up. When the bus is full I tell people to put the seats up because random arguments always start because of it. MTA MCI seats don't go back as far as NJTs MCI's. People always think they are entitled to sit by themselves(When the bus is full). As long as you get where your going whats the big deal? The seats are there so people can sit. When its a not so full bus idc what people do but during peak hours put them up so a problem doesn't occur.

I feel people should just stop worrying about where they are going to sit because its annoying. When I'm out fanning or something I go to the back so I don't have to deal with anyone's bull.

If people were entitled to sit by themselves then the MTA and NJT should have just got MCI's with one seat per row and used the rest of the room for standing room only.

I had a fight break out on the 319 once because someone had there seat back to far on a bus full of 55 ppl.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't waste my time w/ combining metrocards... I find that Station Agents tend to give you a hard time when you ask them to do that...

I generally know around how much is left on my card anyway, so to have to combine metrocards in desperation, or 'because I don't like having too little an amount' on them, never comes to play....

If I feel as if I have insufficient funds on the metrocard, I simply refill it...

That's all, and that's it....

That isn't to say that there hasn't been times when I thought I had too little, and actually had an adequate amount on it... Like this past thursday, I put a 20 spot on the card, and now I got 40 somethin on it.... lol....

I generally know how much I have on my MetroCards as well, but I just prefer having them in larger amounts, so I don't get left with $1 or some other unusable amount. I figure that when that time comes, I'll have to combine them anyway, so why not save myself the trouble of worrying that I'll lose whatever amount I have left (not to mention that when that time comes, I could be in a hurry trying to catch a train, or there could be a long line at the booth)

The advantage of combining them vs. refilling them is that (in my opinion) it is easier to get rid of the odd amounts that way.

I get very pissed at ppl with change I literally cuss them out in their face!!!!! then they get shocked. I like to embarrass idiots in public cause they slow stuff down. I think the MTA express buses should BAN coins and allow only $5 bills and $1 bills and quarters that's it with a limit to 3 quarters increase cash fare to $5.75 or $6.25 on purpose then drop metrocard fare to $5 just to screw the coin Ass Holes

Well since they killed off the X90 a year ago, Manhattan is left without any express buses. I was wondering if there are any Bronx express buses that start somewhere downtown or in Battery Park City and run up the East Side, like on Madison, 3rd, or 1st.

And if there are, would I be able to get off or do they only drop off passengers starting in the Bronx?

I already discussed the idea of merging BXM18 with X90!!!!! In an earlier thread

The reclining seats, people are not entitled do to so. When i'm done each run I put the seats back up. When the bus is full I tell people to put the seats up because random arguments always start because of it. MTA MCI seats don't go back as far as NJTs MCI's. People always think they are entitled to sit by themselves(When the bus is full). As long as you get where your going whats the big deal? The seats are there so people can sit. When its a not so full bus idc what people do but during peak hours put them up so a problem doesn't occur.

I feel people should just stop worrying about where they are going to sit because its annoying. When I'm out fanning or something I go to the back so I don't have to deal with anyone's bull.

If people were entitled to sit by themselves then the MTA and NJT should have just got MCI's with one seat per row and used the rest of the room for standing room only.

I had a fight break out on the 319 once because someone had there seat back to far on a bus full of 55 ppl.

Rosa Parks may have put up resistance to keep blacks from only having to sit in the back of the bus, but goddamnit, at first choice, I gun right towards that mothaf***a anyway.... If it's not occupied, you can find me at my patented right-most seat in the back of the bus; on NJT's OR our (MTA's) MCI's

(too many acronyms in that last part statement... lol)

yup, the seats do go further back on NJT's buses... just to let people know... just so others (that haven't been in NJ) won't solely rely on the word of an NJT employee.... I've been on a bus, where the back of one seat went on some weird angle, like 160 degrees... several other times, I see people reclined so far back as to where the seat they're on, is almost touching the seat behind it.... I was like, wtf is this !??!!!

good ole 319... always some shit breakin out on that bus...

I get very pissed at ppl with change I literally cuss them out in their face!!!!! then they get shocked. I like to embarrass idiots in public cause they slow stuff down. I think the MTA express buses should BAN coins and allow only $5 bills and $1 bills and quarters that's it with a limit to 3 quarters increase cash fare to $5.75 or $6.25 on purpose then drop metrocard fare to $5 just to screw the coin Ass Holes

I also think coins should be banned on express buses.... but I disagree w/ the allowing of dollar bills...

Express buses should be Metrocard payment only.

I generally know how much I have on my MetroCards as well, but I just prefer having them in larger amounts, so I don't get left with $1 or some other unusable amount. I figure that when that time comes, I'll have to combine them anyway, so why not save myself the trouble of worrying that I'll lose whatever amount I have left (not to mention that when that time comes, I could be in a hurry trying to catch a train, or there could be a long line at the booth)

The advantage of combining them vs. refilling them is that (in my opinion) it is easier to get rid of the odd amounts that way.

My question then to you is... Why do you carry multiple metrocards, to the point where combining them is even an option....

I never quite got the point of ppl. having like 3 metrocards....

According to the TLC page, the only route Group Ride route left is the B71. The Q74/Q79 aren't even mentioned. Is this true?

SBS means Bx12SBS in this case.

Unlike B71 which was a unique crosstown rte in brooklyn that should have been merged. The Q74 had no purpose and duplicated several different routes you miss one you would be better off taking Q46 to 44 instead of waiting Q74 was useless but Q79 should of been a rte to green acres though merging with N1 or N2

I usually have a bunch of $20 MetroCards at home (part of it is that my family usually stocks up on MetroCards before fare hikes-we still haven't bought a MetroCard with the 7% post-fare hike bonus yet)

On a side note, I learned the hard way that, if you forget about the MetroCard and let it expire, you can't combine it onto another MetroCard if you wait more than 2 years. Luckily, it was only 1 MetroCard, but from that point on, I have always been careful regarding expiration dates.

We usually take more than 1 MetroCard because we make a lot of trips where we travel with 2-3 people, so 1 $20 MetroCard won't be enough to pay all of our fares, so we usually end up with small amounts that we combine at our destination.

As far as why we don't buy larger increments, it is because we don't like carrying too large a MetroCard for instances where we don't need it, for fear of losing it.

Unlike B71 which was a unique crosstown rte in brooklyn that should have been merged. The Q74 had no purpose and duplicated several different routes you miss one you would be better off taking Q46 to 44 instead of waiting Q74 was useless but Q79 should of been a rte to green acres though merging with N1 or N2

The reason why they were taken over in the first place was because the companies felt that there was enough demand for those routes that they could make a profit for them if they were privately operated. Since they were infrequently scheduled (and, from what I've heard, there were many times when the vans didn't show up), there was very low ridership.

Dollar vans generally work best on high-demand corridors where service is very frequent. This can either be because the vans themselves run frequently, or because the vans and local buses add up to provide a frequent service.

I feel people should just stop worrying about where they are going to sit because its annoying.

The reason some folks care like myself is because some seats on the (MTA) express buses, especially some of the ones on the right hand side offer more leg room than many of the ones on the left hand side, so if I have to sit on the left hand side, especially on the older express buses, it usually means that my legs will be cramped for the entire trip, which as I'm sure you know being a tall guy is not at all comfortable.

I usually have a bunch of $20 MetroCards at home (part of it is that my family usually stocks up on MetroCards before fare hikes-we still haven't bought a MetroCard with the 7% post-fare hike bonus yet)

On a side note, I learned the hard way that, if you forget about the MetroCard and let it expire, you can't combine it onto another MetroCard if you wait more than 2 years. Luckily, it was only 1 MetroCard, but from that point on, I have always been careful regarding expiration dates.

We usually take more than 1 MetroCard because we make a lot of trips where we travel with 2-3 people, so 1 $20 MetroCard won't be enough to pay all of our fares, so we usually end up with small amounts that we combine at our destination.

As far as why we don't buy larger increments, it is because we don't like carrying too large a MetroCard for instances where we don't need it, for fear of losing it.

So you guys must buy them from the store or something because you can only get two Metrocards at a time per credit/debit card if you use the vending machine. However, I understand this to a degree. Living on Staten Island, if you don't travel to the city, getting Metrocards and refilling them can be a real pain in the @ss because like I said before, the stores often times run out of them so you can find yourself having to go to several stores before you can get any sort of Metrocard.

Me personally I wish they would allow you to buy more than two at time per card. I would stock up on 4-5 weeks worth of Unlimited Express Bus Cards, this way I wouldn't have to worry about them for the month. I prefer to use my Amex card for the Metrocard since it gives me the most rewards and such so that's why I just get two at a time at the most.

Realistically, no express route that parallels a subway line was created to relieve the subway line. The X90 got 620 riders. A single subway train can carry 1,500 riders, meaning that, throughout the course of the day, the X90 didn't even take a trainload of people off of the Lexington Avenue Line.

I was thinking to have it remain as an express bus. As a local bus, it would parallel the M15, and wouldn't really be a faster alternative. It wouldn't offer the cushioned seats and lower crowds that made people take the X90 in the first place.

That is why I suggested rerouting the X90 to serve Grand Central: It would provide more frequent service than the X25 and would therefore attract additional riders.

How frequent was the X90 before its elimination?

The X25 was useless as far as relieving the Lexington Avenue Line. It carried a measly 20 people throughout the whole day. That's 2-3 people per trip.

Crosstown service always has been a problem in Manhattan because of its slow speed. Still, Manhattan residents don't have a perfect commute, but their commute is a lot better than the commute of people in the outer boroughs.

FAIL the X25 should have been axed years ago in 2005!!! There is no need to replace a bus that carried air!!!! The X90 should just merge with BXM18 reroute BXM18 via 92nd and 91st to york then after 34th street get on FDR south of 34th street there is no need for express bus

FAIL the X25 should have been axed years ago in 2005!!! There is no need to replace a bus that carried air!!!! The X90 should just merge with BXM18 reroute BXM18 via 92nd and 91st to york then after 34th street get on FDR south of 34th street there is no need for express bus

Doing that would mean that the Bronx express bus riders would loose their transfer to the BXM18 for Downtown service. Just run the X90 every 20-30 minutes during rush hours only or as demand dictated.

The farebox thing drives me nuts also, especially if I'm in line and it's the morning rush. I have literally gotten so irritated that I've started cursing at the person with the change for holding up the whole line with their nonsense because they don't have it prepared when they've been sitting there waiting for the bus knowing that they're paying the $5.50 fare in coins. :mad:

Another thing that I've gotten into arguments about is the express bus line. This chick just walks up to the front of the long @ss line like no one is there so I go "Excuse me, but there's a line here" (in a irritated tone) and she acts like she didn't know and goes "Well then go on ahead if you're in such a rush". Others have tried that sh*t too because it's raining outside and they don't have an umbrella and I basically tell them that that's their problem not mine. lol

The others that B35 has touched on also annoy me. What gets me cranky is when I sit in the back of the BM3, I'm usually the last one off in Brooklyn, so the B/O will ask where I'm getting off at and I have to shout with my deep voice so that he can hear me. Sometimes they get an attitude if they can't hear me like I need to run up to the front to tell them. I mean who cares, just drive and I'll request the stop when I'm getting off.

Most of them are cool though and what they'll do is they'll just bypass that whole stupid loop around Knapp St to Emmons and take me directly to Sheepshead Bay Road via Shore Parkway & then Emmons.

As for people sitting next to me it doesn't happen often because I schedule myself so as to get buses that I know generally won't be crowded so I have next to someone maybe a few times a year if that. If the person comes to sit next to me I make it clear that they'd better f*cking move when the bus clears out because that means I have no leg room and my legs are all cramped & sh*t. Not very comfortable at 6'4" to say the least. :D

Thanks for bringing lines up.... that's another thing...

The lines for express buses, I find to be, clearly undefined.... at one stop on a given day, you can have the first person in line waiting at the pole, and the line continues in an westerly (the more normal) direction (meaning: 6th-5th-4th-3rd-2nd-1st person)....

then at another stop (or even the same stop on a different day), the line forms in an easterly direction (meaning: 1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th-6th person).....

that irks the hell out of me.... like, why the hell is the line forming this way for...

--------------------

The people jumping in line BS, I'm used to, on the local buses here in Brooklyn... we've got to be the only borough where place-in-line isn't respected/granted/(doesn't matter)..... Queens, I'll say, is the exact opposite; even in a congested place like Flushing, you'll still see looooong lines forming for the Q27, N20/21, Q66, Q58....

- as for the B46 at Eastern Pkwy/Utica...

- ANY of the fulton mall/strip routes...

- the B41 anywhere along Livingston st

haha... lmao... a line, yeah right....

you meander & wiggle your way on, and hope that a fight or argument doesn't breakout....

"Brooklyn style".....

Mysterious2Train, TrainMaster, Trainfanatic, LRG, and others know what I'm talkin about w/ this too....

--------------------

I've also been on BM3's where b/o's skipped that voorhies/knapp zig zag BS, as well....

and to think, the routing used to be worse, when it took on this convoluted routing...

I'm sure you remember this time-waste...

bm3oldrte.gif

...anyway, I told the guy I'm gettin off at AV Z.... few times, I've been asked "on nostrand or on batchelder".... each time I said Nostrand, and each time the b/o continued down nostrand (south of av X).... of course, I said thanks, and made my way off....

that kinda tells me that the b/o's themselves think that buses should be routed down nostrand in that area, at least brooklyn bound anyway... guess it's easier to continue down nostrand, and make that left on emmons, straight to the belt pkwy there, en route to SC depot....

BXM7/BXM7A serve specific areas Co-op City and Pelham Bay/City Island respectively. You would have to re-route those two express buses to have them come down York Avenue instead of having them run down Fifth & Madison Avenue, which they currently run on for most of their route in Manhattan, which would displace a lot of Bronx folks. I'm not too wild about that idea. Just bring back the X90 and run it every 20 minutes. That should suffice.

Or use BXM18 instead problem solved

I already discussed the idea of merging BXM18 with X90!!!!! In an earlier thread

Sigh.....

Or use BXM18 instead problem solved

You obviously dont know the distance between Riverdale & Co-Op City. How in the hell are BxM7/7A riders going to get the BxM18?

Doing that would mean that the Bronx express bus riders would loose their transfer to the BXM18 for Downtown service. Just run the X90 every 20-30 minutes during rush hours only or as demand dictated.

actually there is a fallover in my express proposal Because of rte merging and BXM to BM the BXM express bus riders will no longer need to transfer so that same bus like BXM7 will continue to lower manhattan then turn into BM2 via FDR. Or BXM6 turns to X28 eliminating the need for a transfer to BXM18. However the merged BXM18/X90 route would be cheaper and the new triboroughs will be cheaper as it's one bus with more than one operator bronx operator switches with brooklyn operator. Reverse commute service gets enhanced then traffic shrinks as well. And travel times get cut while making buses more efficient but with the pick-up points being limited and spaced out you avoid the bus getting slower!!!! X90 in its separate form was inefficient!!!! a merged form would have been better. B39 in it's FORM WAS USELESS However if B39 was an extention of b46 and B44 or even extention of Q104 over B24's routing it would have fared better!!!!

I don't think the x25 should've been created...

but yeah, I also think that route should've been gone years ago.....

However, the x90 merging w/ the BxM18 is nothing short of stupid.... neither group of riders will win out in that situation...

think about it, to have to go from Riverdale to lwr. manhattan via yorkville.... or, if you're a yorkville rider in the morning having to wait for a bus coming from riverdale just to get to lower manhattan.... it's just not gonna fly... both groups of riders will end up bitching, to the point where they'll end up as separate routes....

(a + :D does not equal (ab)

you're not thinking straight w/ this one....

You obviously dont know the distance between Riverdale & Co-Op City. How in the hell are BxM7/7A riders going to get the BxM18?

That...

and even if....

good luck getting Riverdale riders to share a bus w/ Co-op city riders.... express bus riders in general don't like the idea of xferring b/w other x-bus routes, and rightfully so IMO....

The lines for express buses, I find to be, clearly undefined.... at one stop on a given day, you can have the first person in line waiting at the pole, and the line continues in an westerly (the more normal) direction (meaning: 6th-5th-4th-3rd-2nd-1st person)....

then at another stop (or even the same stop on a different day), the line forms in an easterly direction (meaning: 1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th-6th person).....

that irks the hell out of me.... like, why the hell is the line forming this way for...

--------------------

The people jumping in line BS, I'm used to, on the local buses here in Brooklyn... we've got to be the only borough where place-in-line isn't respected/granted/(doesn't matter)..... Queens, I'll say, is the exact opposite; even in a congested place like Flushing, you'll still see looooong lines forming for the Q27, N20/21, Q66, Q58....

you meander & wiggle your way on, and hope that a fight or argument doesn't breakout....

"Brooklyn style".....

Mysterious2Train, TrainMaster, Trainfanatic, LRG, and others know what I'm talkin about w/ this too....

Yeah, I remember when I had to take the X64 or X68 to Queens, I was so confused by which line was which there. It looks like they form two separate lines... One for the X64 and one for the X68, whereas us Staten Islanders, we just make one line regardless of which express bus, so you'll have one long line for the X1, X2, X3 and X9 at Hylan or at the 45th & 5th stop for the X12, X14 and X30 and then folks will just step out of the line and look to see if anyone else is ahead of them when their bus comes and then they'll proceed if no one else steps out of the line in front of them. The thing is you get used to who takes what since it is mainly regulars so that lowers the confusion, even though folks will flock from one express bus to another depending on the situation.

As for the Brooklyn lines, they remind me of the chaotic "lines" or lack of in Italy. You'll go to a play or something and then during intermission everyone races downstairs to the concession stand. The thing that I found crazy was there was absolutely no line at all. You got your drinks and snacks and such and basically just pushed your way around until you got to the guy who you would pay. I remember when I'd take the (B9) to Kings Plaza and see the crazy folks there for the (B41).... :eek:

And then there were the dollar vans that would always block the (B2) bus stop which would annoy the heck out of me if I was waiting for it.

I've also been on BM3's where b/o's skipped that voorhies/knapp zig zag BS, as well....

and to think, the routing used to be worse, when it took on this convoluted routing...

I'm sure you remember this time-waste...

bm3oldrte.gif

...anyway, I told the guy I'm gettin off at AV Z.... few times, I've been asked "on nostrand or on batchelder".... each time I said Nostrand, and each time the b/o continued down nostrand (south of av X).... of course, I said thanks, and made my way off....

that kinda tells me that the b/o's themselves think that buses should be routed down nostrand in that area, at least brooklyn bound anyway... guess it's easier to continue down nostrand, and make that left on emmons, straight to the belt pkwy there, en route to SC depot...

That whole meandering thing used to drive me nuts!! It was like we needed to serve every single damn street over there by Kips Bay because there was limited transportation options, which meant a damn there 20 minute commute in Sheepshead Bay alone from the last stop there by Shore Blvd to say Ave X & Ocean.

I was so happy when I saw the re-route. I thought, finally the (MTA) figured out that folks who need the BM3 over there will either walk or drive to it.

However, the x90 merging w/ the BxM18 is nothing short of stupid.... neither group of riders will win out in that situation...

think about it, to have to go from Riverdale to lwr. manhattan via yorkville.... or, if you're a yorkville rider in the morning having to wait for a bus coming from riverdale just to get to lower manhattan.... it's just not gonna fly... both groups of riders will end up bitching, to the point where they'll end up as separate routes....

That...

and even if....

good luck getting Riverdale riders to share a bus w/ Co-op city riders.... express bus riders in general don't like the idea of xferring b/w other x-bus routes, and rightfully so IMO....

100% agreed with that debacle of a BxM18/x90 & the BxM7 & 7A idea, that wouldnt work one way or another....especially when you have 4 different class groups of people to deal with...specifically those who see bad things about other boroughs....

Well, I wouldnt necessarily say that about the x25 unless it was converted to a local route.

The years when the x25/90 & 92 roamed all over the streets of Manhattan, it actually did pick up people, not a lot of people, but enough to show how the route was used. It was mainly used to avoid the now extinct Rush Hour trips from the M101 LTD & M102 to the Downtown / City Hall area. It was a nightmare for those two routes because the RTSs used for those trips would always break down because of the massive amount of people per trip.

But then when the M103 was sent down there instead and there were extra added M15 Local & Limited service, ridership on the x25 dwindled to what we saw over the past 2 years. The x90/92 merger also played an important role on the demise of the x25.

What I would believe should have done is to convert that x25 to a local and have it go up via Bowery & 3rd Avenue. But Bowery itself can't handle two bus routes, especially when you see M103s bunching up with one another.

That...

and even if....

My idea only calls for select trips!!!!!! only select BXM18 become x90 the rest from select trips on other lines from bronx thus creating rotation frequency.

My idea only calls for select trips!!!!!! only select BXM18 become x90 the rest from select trips on other lines from bronx thus creating rotation frequency.

Do you not understand the term "It wont work" ?

--------------------

"Brooklyn style".....

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

That line shit irks the living f*cks outta me...like, come on!!! Who in the hell lines up for a bus???!!! I understand the express buses because it's a premium fare, but for local buses...seriously???

I see that line formation crap sometimes for the S53 and S93 Limited at 86th Street in Brooklyn...but I see that crap way more in...Queens...and I had to curse out some lady cuz she told me to "get in line"...

Ain't no way in hell I'm getting in line for a bus! Since when did the bus operator become a bank teller? Or since when did the bus become an ATM?

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

That line shit irks the living f*cks outta me...like, come on!!! Who in the hell lines up for a bus???!!! I understand the express buses because it's a premium fare, but for local buses...seriously???

I see that line formation crap sometimes for the S53 and S93 Limited at 86th Street in Brooklyn...but I see that crap way more in...Queens...and I had to curse out some lady cuz she told me to "get in line"...

Ain't no way in hell I'm getting in line for a bus! Since when did the bus operator become a bank teller? Or since when did the bus become an ATM?

First come, first serve. Simple as that. The rule is especially applicable if not everyone will fit on the first bus.

Archived