Manhattan Express Bus

Gorgor

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That... and even if.... good luck getting Riverdale riders to share a bus w/ Co-op city riders.... express bus riders in general don't like the idea of xferring b/w other x-bus routes, and rightfully so IMO....

Hell Riverdale folks would have a heart attack having to share an express bus w/Co-op city riders or anyone else for that matter. They have three express bus lines for a reason. They b*tch a lot and have the money to back it up so they get their three express bus lines.

Now two things that I've noticed on some express bus lines... X17J riders from the South Shore aren't wild about having to make additional stops over by Mariner's Harbor, but the (MTA) did it to appeal to the condo folks over there by the last stop. X30 riders like myself weren't happy about it either when the X30 was re-routed over there.

And as far as areas go, I think overall us West Brighton folks prefer the X14 overall compared to the X30 where we have to deal w/the often loud and obnoxious Mariners Harbor folks. I always wished we could just bypass that whole area after Decker Avenue.

Hell Riverdale folks would have a heart attack having to share an express bus w/Co-op city riders or anyone else for that matter. They have three express bus lines for a reason. They b*tch a lot and have the money to back it up so they get their three express bus lines.

Now two things that I've noticed on some express bus lines... X17J riders from the South Shore aren't wild about having to make additional stops over by Mariner's Harbor, but the (MTA) did it to appeal to the condo folks over there by the last stop. X30 riders like myself weren't happy about it either when the X30 was re-routed over there.

And as far as areas go, I think overall us West Brighton folks prefer the X14 overall compared to the X30 where we have to deal w/the often loud and obnoxious Mariners Harbor folks. I always wished we could just bypass that whole area after Decker Avenue.

O well then X90 can only run with limited service if separate!!! so ur saying express riders just can't get along!!! how pathetic!!!!

Uh-huh...sure....

Very deep, insightful, intelligent response.:tdown:

It's interesting how the Upper East Siders didn't use their X90 (or else why would it cost so much for the MTA?) but protested so vehemently when it was taken away. I mean, I know about political power, but if they want something, they should use it.:confused:

BXM7/BXM7A serve specific areas Co-op City and Pelham Bay/City Island respectively. You would have to re-route those two express buses to have them come down York Avenue instead of having them run down Fifth & Madison Avenue, which they currently run on for most of their route in Manhattan, which would displace a lot of Bronx folks. I'm not too wild about that idea. Just bring back the X90 and run it every 20 minutes. That should suffice.

If the X90 came back, it should be as a 'limited' instead IMO. The monies is not there and thus a express route gone by the doomsday cuts like the X29 needs to come back first.

Not to get off topic. And that not fair that Riverdale/South Yonkers has '3' full time 7 day a week

express bus routes. While Brooklyn now has no express service on Sundays.

Not to mention express routes like the X29 and X90 w/ descent ridership was still cut.

The BXM2 does not need to run on Sundays. If Riverdale Ave riders want west side service they could have taken the BXm1 to Midtown and transfer to a crosstown route. That what made last June Doomsday Cuts so unfair.

The 'pain was not spread' fairly on bus routes.:mad:

:tdown:

NOW YA BEING AN ASS!!!!

No, I just wish you would think a little before coming up with some of these suggestions. You just throw ideas out there without looking at the big picture and your BXM18 diversion would not work for many reasons. You're also assuming that by the time the BXM18 gets down to Yorkville that there would still be enough room to take on the X90 riders... The BXM18 doesn't run but every 15 minutes, so you would more than likely have to add more runs anyway, which would then just mean that you would better off re-instating the X90 considering that you would be adding more runs and cutting off all of the other Bronx express bus riders who transfer to the BXM18 for Downtown express bus service.

Aside from that, you're also asking someone from Riverdale who gets on at say the first stop in the Bronx to add perhaps an additional 30 minutes onto their commute just to serve Yorkville, which Riverdale folks would never go for.

If the X90 came back, it should be as a 'limited' instead IMO. The monies is not there and thus a express route gone by the doomsday cuts like the X29 needs to come back first.

The X29 = FAIL the other express rtes stop directly at the Q train and B68 which is surprisingly not slow are available the X29 was a duplicate there is NO need for copycat rtes here. the other express buses BM ones run through kenington for a reason.

Very deep, insightful, intelligent response.:tdown:

It's interesting how the Upper East Siders didn't use their X90 (or else why would it cost so much for the MTA?) but protested so vehemently when it was taken away. I mean, I know about political power, but if they want something, they should use it.:confused:

It took on 620 riders per day, which is better than some other express bus lines that are still running. The problem is they demanded too much service. They should've been happy with getting a bus every 20 - 30 minutes that way the bus would've run at almost full capacity and it would've been more difficult for the (MTA) to have axed it.

Most X29 riders have access to the BM3 and most express bus riders drive anyway so they can simply drive to the BM3 if they really need express bus service. If the X29 is to be brought back, it needs to be done with fewer stops, so as to make the route an attractive one. Now I've used the X29 to get back to Sheepshead Bay in the evenings when I had to conduct business in my old neighbourhood, and quite frankly the BM3 is quicker because the X29 did not have "Super Express" service like the BM3s have during rush hour from Midtown. The X29s had to go from Midtown all the way to Downtown, which is one of the reasons why it was so slow during the rush hour.

You'll notice that the X27 and X28 were split previously between 57th and 23rd where the X37/X38 ran and then from 23rd down to Downtown where the X27/X28 ran. Quite frankly I think the (MTA) kept it this way to kill off the line knowing that folks would get irritated at the slow commute and would use other express buses that were quicker like the BM3. The problem is even if they didn't plan it, the X29 couldn't be split because the demand wasn't there for it.

The X29 = FAIL the other express rtes stop directly at the Q train and B68 which is surprisingly not slow are available the X29 was a duplicate there is NO need for copycat rtes here. the other express buses BM ones run through kenington for a reason.

A little logic I see...

It's just that the ridership went down to the point that leaving it in service wasn't cost-effective.

It took on 620 riders per day, which is better than some other express bus lines that are still running. The problem is they demanded too much service. They should've been happy with getting a bus every 20 - 30 minutes that way the bus would've run at almost full capacity and it would've been more difficult for the (MTA) to have axed it.

Could not have it said better myself. The "X90' only needed to run for a few trips a weekday in peak direction every 20-30 minutes i.e Downtown 6am-830am and 4pm-7pm.

If Yorkville/Upper East Side riders wanted 'more service' than make the '90" a limited.

As far as X29, I did see the bus 'almost full' on couple of trips in last 2-3 years of it's existence. It did make too many stops and the southern terminal should had been at West 5th and Neptune (Walgreen shopping center).

Or if the (MTA) was creative re-route the X29 and terminated at Kingsborough College.

Could not have it said better myself. The "X90' only needed to run for a few trips a weekday in peak direction every 20-30 minutes i.e Downtown 6am-830am and 4pm-7pm.

If Yorkville/Upper East Side riders wanted 'more service' than make the '90" a limited.

As far as X29, I did see the bus 'almost full' on couple of trips in last 2-3 years of it's existence. It did make too many stops and the southern terminal should had been at West 5th and Neptune (Walgreen shopping center).

Or if the (MTA) was creative re-route the X29 and terminated at Kingsborough College.

now ya thinking changing a route's format so it becomes productive instead of unproductive nice thinking but the Q train and B49 are accesible from several BM routes so there is little that can be done to save X29.

That idea isn't bad one (extending the X29 to Manhattan Beach). I was going to say that you could just extend the BM3 to Manhattan Beach, but that's not a good idea because that would mean that it would come all the way down Avenue X then make its way to Knapp Street to come to Emmons and come all the way down to Emmons to Shore Blvd and then make its way down to Oriental Blvd to go all the way down Oriental Blvd, which would mean that it would be meandering way too much in Southern Brooklyn like it used to a few years back...

now ya thinking changing a route's format so it becomes productive instead of unproductive nice thinking but the Q train and B49 are accesible from several BM routes so there is little that can be done to save X29.

Remember that the X29 ran down Coney Island Avenue and quite frankly it is a bit of a schlepp from Ocean Avenue to Coney Island Avenue and an incovenience. If the X29 was made quicker it could be viable route because there are those folks in Southern Brooklyn who do not want to deal with the train and want a nice clean quiet ride on the express bus instead. The main thing is to make the route so that it is used an place it where folks would use it. I think if it were rerouted to Manhattan Beach it could be used.

That idea isn't bad one (extending the X29 to Manhattan Beach). I was going to say that you could just extend the BM3 to Manhattan Beach, but that's not a good idea because that would mean that it would come all the way down Avenue X then make its way to Knapp Street to come to Emmons and come all the way down to Emmons to Shore Blvd and then make its way down to Oriental Blvd to go all the way down Oriental Blvd, which would mean that it would be meandering way too much in Southern Brooklyn like it used to a few years back...

Or a super express version of X28 that goes via belt with direct service straght to cropsey by the neptune area. then to manhattan beach. There is no demand for Express bus on coney island ave.

It's just that the ridership went down to the point that leaving it in service wasn't cost-effective.

It's just that the service was too frequent. 620 riders a day can still work because there are express bus lines that average that and they're still running. The (MTA) had an agenda and it's called the (M15) SBS. Seeing that they were able to spend just millions on the whole SBS for the (M15) when they got new buses out of the deal amongst other things was a win win situation for the (MTA) since the project qualified for federal funding.

*let's go... I'm on a roll anyway...

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

That line shit irks the living f*cks outta me...like, come on!!! Who in the hell lines up for a bus???!!! I understand the express buses because it's a premium fare, but for local buses...seriously???

I see that line formation crap sometimes for the S53 and S93 Limited at 86th Street in Brooklyn...but I see that crap way more in...Queens...and I had to curse out some lady cuz she told me to "get in line"...

Ain't no way in hell I'm getting in line for a bus! Since when did the bus operator become a bank teller? Or since when did the bus become an ATM?

LMFAO at this.... I feel you, fam....

I give people "the look" & "the chin", as I'm walking in front of a conga line of those Queens routes... including that Q27 & that Q66 line in flushing.... I'm NOT standing on Roosevelt to wait to board a Q66 (yes, I've seen on two occasions where the line took up that whole block)... I'm NOT standing on 39th to board a Q27... kiss my a**...

that line on QB for the Q46 is another notorious one... I had some St John's kid walk up to me and tell me, this is the line for the bus.... I told him:

"yeah, I see... and you're foolish enough to stand in it.... good job losing your place in line to tell me that shit though"....

then some burly guy in the middle of that same line yells to me, you better get to the back...

I flexed on him and said, "or else what... you goin lay/put ya hands on me... shut the f*** up"... think I may have actually said "put"....

I got scowls from everyone that got on QB, while I was on that bus... didn't care though... b/c I know, on that day, I was not standing from QB to freakin Lakeville rd....

Closer to home though, I aint waiting in line to get on the headache that is the B35 bus.... you couldn't pay me to....

First come, first serve. Simple as that. The rule is especially applicable if not everyone will fit on the first bus.

hah...

in the city, it's survival of the fittest... you either get on right now, or get left behind... esp. on routes that run erratically that tend to get a decent crowd (see Q66)....

outside of NYC confines... problem is, on operations like rockland county (namely the 59 & the 91) & LIB's (heavies), you don't know when the next bus is coming... so you WILL cram on that first bus...

by any means necessary.

Preaching to the choir.... Believe me I know all about how Riverdalians bitch & get their way....

Bay Ridge is the Brooklyn equivalent of it/them....

My idea only calls for select trips!!!!!! only select BXM18 become x90 the rest from select trips on other lines from bronx thus creating rotation frequency.

IDGAF if it's ONE solid gold bus giving out 100 dollar bills to each paying passenger.... The idea is not, and I repeat, is NOT plausible... reasonable... realistic... considerable... rational...

I can give you more synonyms if you like....

I dont know if X90 can still be justified in its form how far can a rte run down HRD from inwood up till??? 125th or the 90 streets???

FDR splits & turns into harlem river drive, over there behind the wagner houses....

IINM, there's a SB exit on 2nd av, around 128th st...

it's north of 125th st, I know that much...

this is the answer to your question....

^^ the next SB exit, takes you onto the triboro bridge....

O well then X90 can only run with limited service if separate!!! so ur saying express riders just can't get along!!! how pathetic!!!!

the riders of a certain express bus route, in general, are indicative of the archetypical (there's a word for ya) attitudes of the neighborhoods/regions they reside in....

so it isn't about getting along, per say... it's about how ppl. that reside in certain areas view ppl. that live in another area....

^^ example... the BM5....

even though it (now) makes a few stops along Woodhaven blvd, people at those stops WILL let the BM5 go, for the QM15....

Archived