WTF is happening to our society today??

Andrew

Thank you. Im happy someone acknowledges that the scum isn't only at the bottom of the pool. While it's easy to pick on those who feed on the innocent and commit street crimes, it's also imperative to point out that rich people also manipulate those who are weak.

As for society, it's always been fawked up. Today is no different than 100 years ago, and to pretend that its deteriorating from a prior higher state is just bullsh'ting yourself.

Society has always had it's plutocrats and its dregs.

The problem is never before in this century has the productive middle class in America been as under the gun as the present day. Working wages used to be better, and our hard earned dollar used to actually have value. We had won the right to work benefits, and companies would take care of us after retirement and pay for time off if we were injured on the job. The pay was reasonable and it didn't bankrupt so many businesses as claimed in this day and age. Hours were fair and flexible. Parents could even raise their kids vs. hiring a baby sitter out of the "dregs" to do it for them. And their kids grew into productive members in society in their own right.

It wasn't perfect, but it was better than what we have now. The middle class is shrinking and under increasing pressure from both sides...the rich want our money, the dregs want the life we have and they'll steal to get it, or game the system to use "social programs" to get something for free...which we the middle class pay for. the rich are content to hide their money offshore where it is safe from the hands of the filthy plebeians.

The problem is never before in this century has the productive middle class in America been as under the gun as the present day. Working wages used to be better, and our hard earned dollar used to actually have value. We had won the right to work benefits, and companies would take care of us after retirement and pay for time off if we were injured on the job. The pay was reasonable and it didn't bankrupt so many businesses as claimed in this day and age. Hours were fair and flexible. Parents could even raise their kids vs. hiring a baby sitter out of the "dregs" to do it for them. And their kids grew into productive members in society in their own right.

It wasn't perfect, but it was better than what we have now. The middle class is shrinking and under increasing pressure from both sides...the rich want our money, the dregs want the life we have and they'll steal to get it, or game the system to use "social programs" to get something for free...which we the middle class pay for. the rich are content to hide their money offshore where it is safe from the hands of the filthy plebeians.

Thank you. I knew that there were a few people on the forums who " see the light". With that said I'll queue up the "Hallelujah Chorus".

you forgot about the 12-9's ....If you survive ,you should be locked up for the rest of your life cause it may happen again ....This mistake should not be tolerated.

Walk in front of a bus get hit then blame the Bus is A mistake and a dumbass thing to do ....I would arrest peeps that walk against the bus lanes:tup:

Now lets go back to Stealing dough and give this some thought cause clearly the world isn't fair at all and you might be trying everything you can do to get a job but what happens when noboby will help hmmmm then basically you lose all hope and ...THIS is a crime that you commit to due to the World not giving that job or helping

Now lets go back to Stealing dough and give this some thought cause clearly the world isn't fair at all and you might be trying everything you can do to get a job but what happens when noboby will help hmmmm then basically you lose all hope and ...THIS is a crime that you commit to due to the World not giving that job or helping

Then if thats the case they should take out their anger on the powers that be not on each other and not on the middle class.

Look at the ghettos, bunch of people fighting and killing each other over scraps and every now and then taking the innocent middle class down with them.

Maybe if some of that violence took place in the ivory towers of the rich, I might buy that excuse but people who are the victims of financial thievery should be bound together in hatred of the corrupt, not killing each other over bread scraps and c low games.

Then if thats the case they should take out their anger on the powers that be not on each other and not on the middle class.

Look at the ghettos, bunch of people fighting and killing each other over scraps and every now and then taking the innocent middle class down with them.

Maybe if some of that violence took place in the ivory towers of the rich, I might buy that excuse but people who are the victims of financial thievery should be bound together in hatred of the corrupt, not killing each other over bread scraps and c low games.

Well again life isn't fair and having said that let me say this ....IT DOESNT MATTER what class your in life is tough and I don't care where you go in life ....Shit Happens so the Human Spirit can only take so much....now go watch Trading Places with Eddie Murphy to get an idea of this.

I will never have sympathy for the rich. They are born with everything and they still find things to complain about. Yeah they have problems all right. They can trade their incomes for mine or anyone else working class. Give me a $365,000 a year salary and you wouldn't hear a peep of complaining about me, but all you hear out of the rich is how hard life is.

If life's so hard with money they can give it all to charity if that's how they feel. Otherwise they can STFU about it.

No the problem is there are people out there full of money, and the poor guys out there got little to none, and the poor can do nothing, but live on welfare, and barely have enough to eat. Yet you have rich people in the world sitting, and eating their fancy expensive caviar while the poor has nothing to eat. This is exactly why there are revolutions going on in the Middle East. People around the world want a better life. Most parents they don't want to see their kids starve, or get hurt, but this is where the problem stems in. See when kids don't have an easy life they would believe that society never helped them, and thus they would become criminals. Criminals then hurt others in society. Thus without the basic supplies of life people turn to doing horrible things so they can live.

It seems like the problem here is the economic squeeze being placed on the middle class; it has alawys been that a society in which the middle class sets the general social tone tends to be more stable and more productive. Why? Because the middle class will look to prevent vices of poverty and crimes of desperation by evening out the income distribution so that as few people as possible wind up poor and desperate, and they will also have no patience for the vices and abuses of those with money and power. Take that away, and you get what we're developing now: a mess.

The craziness you're seeing now and referring to in this thread is now really new to this country; it came out in force twice before: once during the Roaring Twenties and before that during the Gilded Age. In both cases, the wealthy became disconnected from the realities of society (anyone who has ever read The Great Gatsby know what I'm talking about) and economic pressures created masses of paupers with nowhere to turn to for support except whatever they could beg, borrow, or steal. What you have now is the same thing: a political and monetary elite who view the vast majority of life as a means of generating profit for themselves regardless of the damage they do to the community. When pressed for change, they reply with token gestures at best, and at worst co-opt the reform movement and pervert it into something even worse than the status quo (No Child Left Behind for education reform, the Tea Party for government reform, and similar movements/ideas)

Once this process gets to a certain point, the number of poor in the country will drastically increase. During good economic times the number of poor people who are truly without other options no matter how hard they try is relatively small and a degree of dignity and support is accorded them. When times get tougher due to profit-mongering this group gets a lot bigger and loses a great deal in support services. The added strain on social safety nets often causes partial or total breakdown, causing some to turn to crime in desperation and placing a great deal of psychological stress on everyone. This stress then manifests as greater impulsiveness and shorter tempers all around, leading to the crimes of opportunity and stupidity, as well as the general uncivilized behavior (i.e. the subway fights on YouTube, etc.) people are complaining about. The support of the imprisoned is also tied into this; when a group of people all experience shared significant hardship, it is very easy for the ones who don't crack to empathize with those who do and say "He would have been just fine in better times" and this may in fact be true. It does not condone the crime nor does it exist as a "get out of jail free" card, but it should not be totally discounted either.

The other problem you see derives from the embattled attitude of the middle class and the problems you have with the new poor; men and women who were always able to get by before but now cannot. In some ways this group presents the most danger to a functioning society, as they are the most likely to go haring off on a quest to restore their dignity and financial stability at the expense of everybody else. This group is typically comprised of working- and lower middle-class men and women who were capable of getting by before but now aren't and are scared. On a personal level this can do all kinds of damage to a family; my father held a union job for over twenty-five years, and while he held it he was a relatively decent guy. Within a few months of losing it he had spiraled into deep depression and deteriorated to the point that there was a legitimate possibility of physical violence to my mother and sister out of anger and pent-up frustration. It was only when he by some miracle landed a new job that he began to return to the man we knew. On a collective level, this group is dangerous as well; when they become desperate enough any two-bit charlatan with a decent slogan and a ready-made scapegoat can lead them to do things that will only hurt them further (i.e. the Tea Party) and breaking that mental hold is extremely difficult for them to do.

There are times where money isn't enough for some people these days and I'll never get that. I mean they can buy whatever the hell they want whenever they want at any time.

They can buy everything but happiness.

And the amazing thing that none of them realize is that happiness is free. It costs nothing to obtain, and it comes from doing things you enjoy and meeting like minded people and not being a duche bag around them so that they'll become your friends.

I don't feel sorry for them one bit that they can't find that which is free.

It seems like the problem here is the economic squeeze being placed on the middle class; it has alawys been that a society in which the middle class sets the general social tone tends to be more stable and more productive. Why? Because the middle class will look to prevent vices of poverty and crimes of desperation by evening out the income distribution so that as few people as possible wind up poor and desperate, and they will also have no patience for the vices and abuses of those with money and power. Take that away, and you get what we're developing now: a mess.

The craziness you're seeing now and referring to in this thread is now really new to this country; it came out in force twice before: once during the Roaring Twenties and before that during the Gilded Age. In both cases, the wealthy became disconnected from the realities of society (anyone who has ever read The Great Gatsby know what I'm talking about) and economic pressures created masses of paupers with nowhere to turn to for support except whatever they could beg, borrow, or steal. What you have now is the same thing: a political and monetary elite who view the vast majority of life as a means of generating profit for themselves regardless of the damage they do to the community. When pressed for change, they reply with token gestures at best, and at worst co-opt the reform movement and pervert it into something even worse than the status quo (No Child Left Behind for education reform, the Tea Party for government reform, and similar movements/ideas)

Once this process gets to a certain point, the number of poor in the country will drastically increase. During good economic times the number of poor people who are truly without other options no matter how hard they try is relatively small and a degree of dignity and support is accorded them. When times get tougher due to profit-mongering this group gets a lot bigger and loses a great deal in support services. The added strain on social safety nets often causes partial or total breakdown, causing some to turn to crime in desperation and placing a great deal of psychological stress on everyone. This stress then manifests as greater impulsiveness and shorter tempers all around, leading to the crimes of opportunity and stupidity, as well as the general uncivilized behavior (i.e. the subway fights on YouTube, etc.) people are complaining about. The support of the imprisoned is also tied into this; when a group of people all experience shared significant hardship, it is very easy for the ones who don't crack to empathize with those who do and say "He would have been just fine in better times" and this may in fact be true. It does not condone the crime nor does it exist as a "get out of jail free" card, but it should not be totally discounted either.

The other problem you see derives from the embattled attitude of the middle class and the problems you have with the new poor; men and women who were always able to get by before but now cannot. In some ways this group presents the most danger to a functioning society, as they are the most likely to go haring off on a quest to restore their dignity and financial stability at the expense of everybody else. This group is typically comprised of working- and lower middle-class men and women who were capable of getting by before but now aren't and are scared. On a personal level this can do all kinds of damage to a family; my father held a union job for over twenty-five years, and while he held it he was a relatively decent guy. Within a few months of losing it he had spiraled into deep depression and deteriorated to the point that there was a legitimate possibility of physical violence to my mother and sister out of anger and pent-up frustration. It was only when he by some miracle landed a new job that he began to return to the man we knew. On a collective level, this group is dangerous as well; when they become desperate enough any two-bit charlatan with a decent slogan and a ready-made scapegoat can lead them to do things that will only hurt them further (i.e. the Tea Party) and breaking that mental hold is extremely difficult for them to do.

Well said and excellent post. I'm also glad you recognized the perversion of the Tea Party from what it was supposed to be. It was NEVER supposed to be about supporting conservatives and associated with hacks like Palin. The Tea Party was about launching a full investigation into the financial crisis, finding out who was responsible for it, exposing all the insider deals, confiscating all of the illegal profits and restoring them back to the taxpayers through government recapture, and putting the banksters BEHIND FEDERAL POUND-THEM-IN-THE-A** PRISON BARS FOR LIFE and turning them into objects of public scorn until the day they died.

It was never about the dog and pony show known as democraps and republican'ts.

Well again life isn't fair and having said that let me say this ....IT DOESNT MATTER what class your in life is tough and I don't care where you go in life ....Shit Happens so the Human Spirit can only take so much....now go watch Trading Places with Eddie Murphy to get an idea of this.

If someone thinks life is fair then that person needs help. Nothing in this world is given to us. Some of us were brought into this world with nothing and some came with a silver spoon in there mouth.

If someone thinks life is fair then that person needs help. Nothing in this world is given to us. Some of us were brought into this world with nothing and some came with a silver spoon in there mouth.

Me and my Fam had nothing so I won't forget that ,Which is why I always give to others as best as I can .

My mom did wonders with nothing and I won't ever forget her doing the best that she could for us .

People with money have it good but most people on this Earth arent as Fortunate.

I can only think of the parents who sexually abuse their kids for years, sometimes from birth to teen, or the ones who put their kid in a hot bath then whip them with extension cords to take out their frustration, or my favorite, the woman who was treating a young girl (4-5 years old) like some rag doll on the bus, and hit her in the face for no reason because the kid said her legs hurt from walking so much. If i wasn't in downtown newark, in an area i'm not 100% safe in i would have called the cops on her, but i rode that bus often at the time & didn't want to be targeted for retribution.

Then there's parents who put their kids hands in toasters or on fully red hot oven ranges or hit them so hard they go unconscious & later in life develop seizures and other problems from brain and organ damage.

Then there's the attitude of "if you don't fight back i'll kick your ass" from some parents, what exactly are they trying to do to their kids? And the kids who do poorly in school because they don't show up because not showing up means you don't collect your report card, and avoiding a beat down from parents.

Punishment, sure, but there needs to be love too. Adults are supposed to protect children, not harm them. Physical abuse, anything harmful that involves physical action or instruction is absolutely and completely useless and harmful.

When i have kids... if they do something really bad, i'm not going to hit or hurt them, but i will, in whatever way seems logical for the situation, show them till they get it that their behavior is unacceptable.

Go to bed without meal, spank, slap on hand, soap in mouth, all wrong and damaging to a child's mental well being.

Kids need to be exposed to the world, be shown that there is somewhere to aspire to live, something to make out of themselves, show them what's possible & treat them with respect and you may just be surprised.

Show enough love and they will turn out well, show abuse and who knows what damage you'd have done.

- A

• 3 weeks later...

The woman in upstate NY PUT her kids in the car and drove into the Hudson RIver,yet SHE is portrayed as the VICTIM while her husband is being blamed for the murders of his children.I could care less that he was a cheater and not the nicest of guys..the bottom line is HE did not drive the car into the river with his kids in it..SHE DID!!!

Last week during the funeral the pastor said what the mother did was a "mistake" Murdering your children is now a Mistake?????!!!!! He to had harsh words for the father basically blaming him for the kids deaths.

How about that video of the thug who murdered the young man in an elevator by shooting him point blank.I am waiting to see what his excuse is when he gets caught.Perhaps he was bored or maybe the guy e killed looked at him the wrong way.The family will undoubtedly talk about what a "good kid" he was and it couldnt possibly be his fault.

It just goes on and on and on and on.

I feel you 100% on that. In addition, I used to steal money from the wealthy corporations in my hay day. At the time my moral compass was so skewed that I justified what I was doing because I would give 80% of the money away to charity, and the needy. However, stealing is stealing. But during that era of my life, I didn't really care because I felt like I was helping people.

you forgot about the 12-9's ....If you survive ,you should be locked up for the rest of your life cause it may happen again ....This mistake should not be tolerated.

Walk in front of a bus get hit then blame the Bus is A mistake and a dumbass thing to do ....I would arrest peeps that walk against the bus lanes:tup:

Right! I know plenty of people who never even considered stealing a day in their lives until they lost a job. Unemployment only lasts for so long. I was so sick and tired of hearing interviewers, and other managers tell me I was overqualified! The only thing I kept telling myself was that it will get better. You couldn't pay me to J-walk at this point in my life!

But I stayed strong, continued to do the right thing, and not only do I have my own business, but at 28 years old, I finally got my dream job that I have wanted since I was 6 years old! Faith, persistance, and doing good deeds goes a long way! The more you give, the more you get in return.

I also feel that what I do here at NYCTF is giving back. I would have loved to have a place liked this to learn and chat in my teens and early 20's. That's why I get pissed when people in the transit community take this hobby too serious, or think it's a competition of who can get the most or best info. I'm pretty blessed to be and industry insider. I could sit on all the info I get, but that's the way I view many conservatives. Selfish and greedy! The more I post quality accurate information, the more I get in return. Industry titans see these posts, and the enthusiasm and pride I put into bringing this stuff to you all. That makes them WANT to give me exclusives. Too bad the haters still haven't figured out that they made me who I am!

You have this gap between the people who have nothing and want something, and the ones who just "exist." The middle class is the backbone of this country, yet the rich run it. I however feel thats if you have the mental capacity to succeed, you will. If you liked beeing a "hood-rat" then that is what you will be. I came from the bottom, and worked my way to the top! Somes things are not and option for me. Like beeing poor, and a criminal.

Sure upbringing has a major impact on our lives, but we chart our own paths. Somes people are just too weak and self-defeating to realize that they can be better than what they are. Not only that, but our society is too hung up being in everyone elses business, and keeping up with the Jones', that they can't keep up with their own worthless lives.

Excellent post! But next time please put some space between those paragraphs!

Me and my Fam had nothing so I won't forget that ,Which is why I always give to others as best as I can .

My mom did wonders with nothing and I won't ever forget her doing the best that she could for us .

People with money have it good but most people on this Earth arent as Fortunate.

It seems like only the people who come from nothing like us are the ones that really give back. True, the rich do as well, but most times it's for publicity or a tax write off.

I can only think of the parents who sexually abuse their kids for years, sometimes from birth to teen, or the ones who put their kid in a hot bath then whip them with extension cords to take out their frustration, or my favorite, the woman who was treating a young girl (4-5 years old) like some rag doll on the bus, and hit her in the face for no reason because the kid said her legs hurt from walking so much. If i wasn't in downtown newark, in an area i'm not 100% safe in i would have called the cops on her, but i rode that bus often at the time & didn't want to be targeted for retribution.

Then there's parents who put their kids hands in toasters or on fully red hot oven ranges or hit them so hard they go unconscious & later in life develop seizures and other problems from brain and organ damage.

Then there's the attitude of "if you don't fight back i'll kick your ass" from some parents, what exactly are they trying to do to their kids? And the kids who do poorly in school because they don't show up because not showing up means you don't collect your report card, and avoiding a beat down from parents.

Punishment, sure, but there needs to be love too. Adults are supposed to protect children, not harm them. Physical abuse, anything harmful that involves physical action or instruction is absolutely and completely useless and harmful.

When i have kids... if they do something really bad, i'm not going to hit or hurt them, but i will, in whatever way seems logical for the situation, show them till they get it that their behavior is unacceptable.

Go to bed without meal, spank, slap on hand, soap in mouth, all wrong and damaging to a child's mental well being.

Kids need to be exposed to the world, be shown that there is somewhere to aspire to live, something to make out of themselves, show them what's possible & treat them with respect and you may just be surprised.

Show enough love and they will turn out well, show abuse and who knows what damage you'd have done.

- A

There is a difference in abuse and a good old fashioned ass whipping! My mom and grandmother would cry when they whipped me, an it was done out of love. Different strokes for different folks. I would have likely been out of control likes these kids today if I didn't get somes of those whippings.

The woman in upstate NY PUT her kids in the car and drove into the Hudson RIver,yet SHE is portrayed as the VICTIM while her husband is being blamed for the murders of his children.I could care less that he was a cheater and not the nicest of guys..the bottom line is HE did not drive the car into the river with his kids in it..SHE DID!!!

Last week during the funeral the pastor said what the mother did was a "mistake" Murdering your children is now a Mistake?????!!!!! He to had harsh words for the father basically blaming him for the kids deaths.

How about that video of the thug who murdered the young man in an elevator by shooting him point blank.I am waiting to see what his excuse is when he gets caught.Perhaps he was bored or maybe the guy e killed looked at him the wrong way.The family will undoubtedly talk about what a "good kid" he was and it couldnt possibly be his fault.

It just goes on and on and on and on.

Look at the guy that got shot and killed in East Flatbush the other day. He was visiting from NC, and it appears to be a case of mistaken identity. The world we live in is a very sad dog-eats-dog world. It's too bad that people are so evil, and have that much hate in their hearts.

How could you kil your kids? Period!

*reads thread title*

No one wants to be held accountable for anything.

The rich over there blaming the poor & the middle class as to why the world is in, the state it's in... (see, donald trump, for example)

The middle class blaming the rich & the poor (see, any average community really)...

The poor blaming, damn near everyone (see, any predominantly urban lower class community)....

It's like a mis-colored square of a rubik's cube... just can't be solved.

No one wins.

Society loses.... Takes an 'L'... fails...

Lack of responsibility & the acceptance of excuses... yeah, they'll continue....

Outside of pessimism, I have no reason to believe otherwise....

We ALL are crabs in a barrel burning in the same melting pot.....

Archived