atu union local 1179

mikemalibu

Hi I just finished my training for cleaner/helper this friday. Their were thirteen of us in the class some students were goig to go to college point depot and the others head to jfk depot. The union twu showed up to zerega and spoke to who ever was going to be in college point and let them pick their depots of choice and shift they wanted based on seniority but the atu union never came to talk to

Some of us that were going to jfk depot. I was really bothered along with others that they didn't show up. THe guys that are in twu are making 14 dollars an hour while everybody that's atu are making 13.61 an hour. I'm just confused on how they determined who was gonna be twu or atu. I don't think they did it by seniority. Monday some of us are heading to jfk depot at 8am hopefully some body from atu will be there to speak to us. I hope I don't end up in far rockaway I heard thats those are the only depots that are atu local 1179.

Hi I just finished my training for cleaner/helper this friday. Their were thirteen of us in the class some students were goig to go to college point depot and the others head to jfk depot. The union twu showed up to zerega and spoke to who ever was going to be in college point and let them pick their depots of choice and shift they wanted based on seniority but the atu union never came to talk to

Some of us that were going to jfk depot. I was really bothered along with others that they didn't show up. THe guys that are in twu are making 14 dollars an hour while everybody that's atu are making 13.61 an hour. I'm just confused on how they determined who was gonna be twu or atu. I don't think they did it by seniority. Monday some of us are heading to jfk depot at 8am hopefully some body from atu will be there to speak to us. I hope I don't end up in far rockaway I heard thats those are the only depots that are atu local 1179.

ATU are weak & they don't do shit for no body. Just go for TWU they more powerful than any other union in US.

ATU are weak & they don't do shit for no body. Just go for TWU they more powerful than any other union in US.

Are you serious?

I can think of about 3 or 4 who could contest that statment in about 2 seconds.

I'll be the first. The ATU isn't weak and they do work for their members....however it's up to the individual locals to elect the right people and get their houses in order. Every thing I've heard about 1179 is that they have the wrong people in leadership positions and that makes for a weak local. It's up to the members of 1179 to stand up and vote people in to make changes that they want, their future is in their own hands.....they have nobody to blame for what they get if they let this stuff keep going on.

See my sig to know who I support!:)

Just worked my first week as a cleaner at the jfk depot. They had us 6 new jacks working 8am to 4pm the first week and will do the same for next week. They had us sweeping the whole shop the first three days cleaning the perimeter of the building throwing out stuff that was laying around. We got to use the hilo to move pallets around and dump trash outside which was cool. Then came thurday and friday we were put in the pump house thats what i think its called had us cleaning bus rims all freaking day my back feels shot already bending down scrubing these rims that havent been cleaned for months. This job reminds me of the early 90's working in a warehouse breaking my back for $3.35 an hour going home dirty blowing black crap out of my nose from all the dirt and dust floating around. Im wanna see what shift and depot im gonna end up with going to rockaway is not what i want or working nights. If i get a shitty deal im out and back to my civil service job where i came from.

TWU - Local 100 is up to its' eyebrows in controversy. And the fact that the in-house fighting has spread to the mainstream media has shown anyone who cares to look just how much dirty laundry lurks in the hamper. The just-revealed information about questionable financial practices makes matters even worse.

There will always be passionate differences of opinion within a trade union. That can be healthy if debated/argued in a constructive versus a destructive manner. Unfortunately, in the case of Local 100, this is not the case. When union members fight other union members in the press, everyone loses.

We are in hard times. Denying that is to deny reality. The days of the 8 1/2% raises that I and my former colleagues used to depend on are history. Aside from the money, today's biggest challenge is to hold on to the work rules your predecessors fought hard to win.

I recently saw a set of current bus schedules for the Mike Quill Depot. They made me sick. Gone are the "pieces of cake" that paid well but worked little. Gone is the ability for many to hook a run up with an "X" and pick darn near the maximum allowable hours.

What happened? Disunity is the common enemy in a union. You sink. You swim - - together.

Sound like a lot of flag-waving? Hey, it's the truth. Fight it our (fairly) at election time. Then, even if your candidate loses, go back to work, support the winner and campaign harder next go around.

Just stop the public fights. Management loves them more than you know. And I say that as a retired OA manager.

Archived