NYCT being subsidized largely by Nassau money?

Joel Up Front

http://glencove.patch.com/articles/op-ed-germino-on-privatization-of-mta-bus

Nassau County residents fund the MTA not only via transit fares and tolls but also through numerous taxes and fees. These taxes and fees include a payroll tax on all public and private employers in the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District; a portion of the sales tax; a vehicle registration fee; a driver's license renewal fee; an additional sales tax on car rentals; a petroleum business tax; a corporate surtax; a mortgage recording tax; and a surtax on telecommunication services.

We, consequently, send an overwhelming majority of our dollars to NYCT.

In addition to subsidizing NYCT, we fund the MTA's rabid labor costs. From 2008 to 2009, for example, LIB's total labor costs exceeded 4% and TWU Local 100 (the public union that controls NYCT) received a generous labor contract at arbitration (i.e., an 11.5 percent pay increase over three years with decreased contributions to employee health care costs). During the same period, the U.S. Government reported that personal income levels in New York State decreased by approximately three percent and inflation grew about two percent.

I still want to see fiscal proof that most of the county's money is going over the border...

In the comments section is a signal worker who started working as one in 1980 - the year of the strike, I know - under Mario Cuomo, about how management numbers soared under his governance of NYS, while actual worker levels declined.

I still see this as some yuppie thinking his financial **** doesn't stink and that the (MTA) is evil.

http://glencove.patch.com/articles/op-ed-germino-on-privatization-of-mta-bus

I still want to see fiscal proof that most of the county's money is going over the border...

In the comments section is a signal worker who started working as one in 1980 - the year of the strike, I know - under Mario Cuomo, about how management numbers soared under his governance of NYS, while actual worker levels declined.

I still see this as some yuppie thinking his financial **** doesn't stink and that the (MTA) is evil.

I was talking about this weeks ago!!!! while arguing my LIB proposal.

He only refers to NYCT as a whole and not as bus and subway divisions.... and never mentions the LIRR, which is why most of Nassau even knows that we have a transportation agency.

Rising labor costs will make using the (MTA) to serve Long Island more expensive. There is no question about that. If Nassau County doesn't pay more than NYC residents will pay more by way of higher fares, higher tolls or both, so either way, someone will be paying more.

The MTA needs to REDUCE LABOR COSTS !!!!! FIGHT the unions keep costs DOWN!!!!!! There has to be a way to get it done!!!! How is it that a small agency in ROCHESTER,NY CAN be public but OPERTATE LIKE A PRIVATE!!!!!

The MTA needs to change that and learn money management!!!!! there is a way to operate and act like a private while keeping service up and labor costs down.

The MTA needs to REDUCE LABOR COSTS !!!!! FIGHT the unions keep costs DOWN!!!!!! There has to be a way to get it done!!!! How is it that a small agency in ROCHESTER,NY CAN be public but OPERTATE LIKE A PRIVATE!!!!!

The MTA needs to change that and learn money management!!!!! there is a way to operate and act like a private while keeping service up and labor costs down.

They fight the union tooth and nail and they are reducing costs by reducing staff. That's how you reduce costs, but an agency that big isn't going to reduce costs over night. It has to be done gradually. I think the union learned from the 2005 strike and they don't want to go that route again so I think they're more willing to make concessions with the (MTA) since that can save jobs over the long run.

The (MTA) just needs to look more to management and less at workers. We need more cleaners, not less and more service, not more. They need to make better use of management (i.e. dispatchers). Once they implement the tracking system system wide, they need to re-examine the use of the dispatchers. Quite frankly I don't see what difference they make in terms of improving service, especially on Staten Island. They still allow buses to leave earlier and often times don't help to alleviate the bunching that exists on lines like the X1.

They fight the union tooth and nail and they are reducing costs by reducing staff. That's how you reduce costs, but an agency that big isn't going to reduce costs over night. It has to be done gradually. I think the union learned from the 2005 strike and they don't want to go that route again so I think they're more willing to make concessions with the (MTA) since that can save jobs over the long run.

The (MTA) just needs to look more to management and less at workers. We need more cleaners, not less and more service, not more. They need to make better use of management (i.e. dispatchers). Once they implement the tracking system system wide, they need to re-examine the use of the dispatchers. Quite frankly I don't see what difference they make in terms of improving service, especially on Staten Island. They still allow buses to leave earlier and often times don't help to alleviate the bunching that exists on lines like the X1.

AGREED!!!!!! Nassau if privatized needs to coordinate with LIRR and in a more efficient manner I have used SCT I dont WANT LIB TO GO DOWN TO SCT SERVICE LEVELS I GOT BURNED TOO MUCH BY THEM AND DUTCHESS LOOP!!!!! SCT is HORRID!!!! But they already know that!!!!!

"A Camel is a horse designed by committee"

that's the MTA's problem. It always has been. It's trying to keep too many people with diffrent wants and diffrent needs happy all at the same time. Albany, City Hall, the counties, the unions, the riding public, the contractors.

It's a slave with many masters and given the situation and circumstances, asking it to keep gong as if nothing has changed is like asking a man with one leg to run a race vs Usain Bolt without a prosthisis, and expect him to win.

But, no one who matters wants to admit it.

What is needed is a massive streamlinging program, but there are a million road blocks at every turn. the individual actions of those external actions, when combined, create the very envrioment the MTA is in; it's bleading through the jugular, and nothing's being done because the the politicans can't agree on how to close the wound, the union want's it's papercut looked at first, the contractors are taking thier sweet ass time bring in supplies (when they're not subpar), and the ridership is just standing there kicking it and calling it lazy while it's lying there.

MTA's not the problem.

It's everyone else.

MTA needs balls

Don't blame labor for the MTA problems.....whats going on at the MTA is way deeper than what the front line workers are making. You are buying into Walder & Co. propaganda. Whenever the economy in the US is in the shitter the first ones to take it on the chin is the public workers and the unions, that BS needs to stop. IMHO, the MTA would be in worse shape without the current workforce and unions.

MTA needs balls

Oh tell me transit master....if you were in charge what would you do. Pay B/Os and T/Os $10/hr with no benefits. You wouldn't get any quality workers....you would get the dregs of the workforce. You think this system sucks now.....look at it with substandard workers.:tdown:

Oh tell me transit master....if you were in charge what would you do. Pay B/Os and T/Os $10/hr with no benefits. You wouldn't get any quality workers....you would get the dregs of the workforce. You think this system sucks now.....look at it with substandard workers.:tdown:

Not really no I would look into management and identify inefficiencies inside the organization!!!!! then restructure rtes to operate more direct and attract more ppl and maximise yield per bus on several runs. reduce DH trips by having all rtes originate closer to their garage. N20/21 need to come out of CP DEPOT and michel field but more CP so more trips can operate full rte and the service to hicksville can start early. there are so many ways and if walder can do it then it can be done.

Don't blame labor for the MTA problems.....whats going on at the MTA is way deeper than what the front line workers are making. You are buying into Walder & Co. propaganda. Whenever the economy in the US is in the shitter the first ones to take it on the chin is the public workers and the unions, that BS needs to stop. IMHO, the MTA would be in worse shape without the current workforce and unions.

The union actually is not to blame here!!! its that there is no money management and more entreprenural ideas need to be implemented.

The union actually is not to blame here!!! its that there is no money management and more entreprenural ideas need to be implemented.

You should be a politician. You pop of ideas that will completely screw up a functioning transit system and you know how to backpedal when somebody calls you out on a BS statement. You say the union is not to blame, then explain what you wrote here:

The MTA needs to REDUCE LABOR COSTS !!!!! FIGHT the unions keep costs DOWN!!!!!!

You should be a politician. You pop of ideas that will completely screw up a functioning transit system and you know how to backpedal when somebody calls you out on a BS statement. You say the union is not to blame, then explain what you wrote here:

He just dont make any sense.

Thank you my brother! :tup:

He just dont make any sense.

It seems to me like every so often we get someone that comes around here and posts nothing but nonsense.

LOOK I ALREADY CHANGED THE TOPIC DONT PICK A FIGHT!!!! I was stating that there are some factors that all play a role here.

LOOK I ALREADY CHANGED THE TOPIC DONT PICK A FIGHT!!!! I was stating that there are some factors that all play a role here.

NOT EVERYTHING IS NONSENSE!!! look at a person as a whole before judging I have too much crap to deal with as it is

Learn to use the multi-quote already.....jeez. Its the lil turned arrow with the + next to it!

NOT EVERYTHING IS NONSENSE!!! look at a person as a whole before judging I have too much crap to deal with as it is

Lol, look who's talking. Quit while your ahead cat. Your the one causing all the crap coming around here posting all this crap. I've been watching your posts and you just sound like a total idiot.

I just don't understand who thanked this guy 9 times.

Well, at least you indirectly admit to posting nonsense....

Here's a thought:

How about not posting nonsense AT ALL !

Lol, look who's talking. Quit while your ahead cat. Your the one causing all the crap coming around here posting all this crap. I've been watching your posts and you just sound like a total idiot.

I just don't understand who thanked this guy 9 times.

You know somethin.... I've been thinkin the same shit, fam...

this ole pinky & the brain "I have a master plan" ass nzzzzzz....

only bluefoxie [2], infamous [2], yuki [1], and of course forest glen [4] gave this dude dap...

that's it.

I was talking to one of the senior workers here at SIRTOA the other day and one of them mentioned how management at one point tried to hire employees at 5-6 dollars an hour. Well, let's just say that the quality of employees was on par with fast food workers, not the kind you want taking you safely from point A to point B.

I was talking to one of the senior workers here at SIRTOA the other day and one of them mentioned how management at one point tried to hire employees at 5-6 dollars an hour. Well, let's just say that the quality of employees was on par with fast food workers, not the kind you want taking you safely from point A to point B.

Hire people to drive a bus or train at $10 an hour and you risk having a workforce filled with people like those who work for the Chinatown buses and that guy who crashed the bus on I-95.

Archived