Start of Service to Bricktowne Centre

Amtrak7

The spring schedule change is tommorow, but I haven't seen any notice on the MTA site about the S74/78 change. Will this be implemented by supplement later?

EDIT: And looking at the Schedule Downloader log, the MTA has not updated a single schedule for SI.

Schedules that date back from before service cuts: Q22, S93, Q110, Q65, Q35, Q13

The spring schedule change is tommorow, but I haven't seen any notice on the MTA site about the S74/78 change. Will this be implemented by supplement later?

EDIT: And looking at the Schedule Downloader log, the MTA has not updated a single schedule for SI.

Schedules that date back from before service cuts: Q22, S93, Q110, Q65, Q35, Q13

This morning there were no X1s for I don't know how long but the lines at the bus stops were insane. They're supposed to run every 5 minutes roughly from about 09:00 until 09:30 or so. My X2 came on time, but it was packed because no X1s were coming. Coming home tonight I waited almost 30 minutes for an X1 at 14th street. The 09:55 and 10:05 never came and one finally came at about 10:13 or so.

I've also been noticing quite a few broken down MCIs. I've saw several of them in the last few days in the city & on Staten Island, mainly older MCIs, but I don't know what's going on. If they can't even provide the buses they have scheduled, I wouldn't expect any more service updates or additions. B)

Since we're going off-topic anyway, my commute was actually better than usual today.

This morning, the S89 came right on time and connected perfectly with an S96. It was crowded, but we were able to fit everybody in comfortably, which is better than it normally is.

This afternoon, the S98 came early and there was no traffic along Forest Avenue (though he did stop at a non-limited stop to drop off 3 people who didn't realize that it skipped that stop). As a result, it connected with the S89 with a minute to spare. This trip normally takes 35 minutes end-to-end, but today, it took me less than 25 minutes. :tup:

Since we're going off-topic anyway, my commute was actually better than usual today.

This morning, the S89 came right on time and connected perfectly with an S96. It was crowded, but we were able to fit everybody in comfortably, which is better than it normally is.

This afternoon, the S98 came early and there was no traffic along Forest Avenue (though he did stop at a non-limited stop to drop off 3 people who didn't realize that it skipped that stop). As a result, it connected with the S89 with a minute to spare. This trip normally takes 35 minutes end-to-end, but today, it took me less than 25 minutes. :tup:

Amtrak commented about why the schedules aren't updated on any SI routes, and I brought up MIA buses because that does play a role in them changing the schedules. Service will often times remain flat or decrease as a result of MIA buses on express lines. Quite frankly if you've got buses missing how can you update the schedule when you don't for sure how many people are really riding? Of course they get an average, but it is hard to gauge how many people are really using the line. Often times what will happen is a bus will be MIA and folks will jump on another line and have someone pick them up on that line instead, but they're only using it because their normal bus didn't come.

Tonite for example I planned to use the X1, as I wanted to make a stop at on Hylan. Since one wasn't coming and it was packed when it did come, I wound up ditching my plan and taking an X10 instead. I think the X30 has had the same exact schedule for the last few years.

I thought it was off-topic because the main point of the thread was to discuss service to Bricktowne, but now that I look at it, schedules of buses are relevant to the discussion.

By the way, were you able to make your stop on Hylan Blvd (by taking the S78/S79)?

I've noticed that about the X30. Besides the reroute to Goethals Road North, the schedule has been the same for the past 4-5 years or so.

I remember looking at the schedule a few years prior to that and seeing a large increase in the service. Do you remember when that was? It had already been increased from 3 buses per direction, but I remember another major increase more recently.

I thought it was off-topic because the main point of the thread was to discuss service to Bricktowne, but now that I look at it, schedules of buses are relevant to the discussion.

By the way, were you able to make your stop on Hylan Blvd (by taking the S78/S79)?

I've noticed that about the X30. Besides the reroute to Goethals Road North, the schedule has been the same for the past 4-5 years or so.

I remember looking at the schedule a few years prior to that and seeing a large increase in the service. Do you remember when that was? It had already been increased from 3 buses per direction, but I remember another major increase more recently.

I like to get off over by Hylan and Steuben because it is a nice stop there and no local bus riders to annoy me. They always gawk at us like we're royalty or something and start asking the time and such and other stupid nonsense. Sometimes I'll get off there at Clove and Hylan if I don't feel like walking and it is late, since there won't be too much of a crowd at that stop. From there I can walk over to the Chase bank right there at Clove and Hylan, plus MET food is there in case I want to pick up a few items like cereal or something simple. They actually do carry some organic items, so if I know that the price is the same or lower than Whole Foods, I'll get it there instead like the original fat free milk and such. If I don't get an X1 or X9 over there, then I don't bother.

Yeah, I remember very well when service was booming on that line. Back in 2006, demand was crazy on that line. There used be a 05:55 bus that I would catch sometimes when I wanted to get to the office early since we had a summer schedule that would let us out early on Fridays, but we had to be at the office at 08:00 instead of 08:30 and we could leave at 13:00. The bus would be full with maybe a seat or so to spare.

Everybody and their mother was using the line, folks that quite frankly I couldn't believe could afford the express bus. I would sometimes get the last bus for the night over at 42nd and 7th since I was working in Chelsea over on 18th & 5th at the time and sometimes I couldn't get Downtown to catch the X16. In any event all of the buses that I would catch would be packed. Fast forward to the recession and all of those "big shots" that would get on over where Pollo Tropical used to be no longer get on. That line and the one by Richmond and Forest used to be long as hell. Now Richmond Avenue is maybe 4 or 5 people tops and same thing is true for that following stop and the one by the gas station as well. It's really amazing. I mean now I take the last X30 of the morning, but I've taken earlier ones when I have networking events to attend in the morning at say 06:45 or so, and they're still not packed at all. Ridership decreased a lot compared to what it was. The thing is though they say that ridership decreased something like -4% on that line, but it seems to be spread over all of the buses . The last bus however still gets rather crowded from time to time, so I use the X14 going home since it is usually faster, fewer people and very quiet since a lot of folks from Sunnyside and West Brighton use it. In the summer I'll use the X30 because it isn't as crowded coming home and I'm not in the mood for walking as much. The bus in the morning is sooo quiet now. I love it. It's mainly the same folks everyday, some of whom I've rode with going back to 2006, but they're older and you can tell that they belong. They're the quiet ones with the books and such. Typical classy middle and upper middle class folks. You have a few skeevy looking folks that look out of place, but even they know not to screw around w/the noise and such. Very quiet and I usually sit with the folks that are from my neck of the woods, so of course it is always quiet.

So in sum, what they did with the X30 was they "added" an earlier bus by basically changing the schedule a bit, but it has basically been the same amount of buses just coming at slightly different times. Service was definitely cut back too. They've cut out about 3 or 4 buses I would say from the morning run if not more. During 07:00, there would be a bus sometimes every 5 minutes. They've cut that back to every 7-10 minutes now. Once I waited for two to three X30s that were supposed to come between 06:40 or so and 06:54 and I was pissed thinking that the one bus that did finally arrive would be crowded and to my surprise it wasn't at all and the bus was entirely white, which shows you how fewer people are riding. The ridership hasn't dipped from West Brighton or Randall Manor. The ridership dipped basically in Port Richmond and Mariner's Harbor, and there are also fewer blacks riding than before and some have been replaced by whites. The added stop there by the X17 actually has helped keep ridership steady, hence why the schedule has been the same for about almost 3 years now, with minor shifts and cuts here and there.

When I was waiting for the eastbound S48, an X30 came, and dropped off about 4-5 people at Maple Parkway. Is that roughly the same number of people that get on there in the morning?

Also, how is the ridership at the 3 stops along South Avenue nowadays?

By the way: isn't Pollo Tropical still around, or did they leave it vacant like they did with the former location of Western Beef (Forest Avenue/South Avenue)?

When I was waiting for the eastbound S48, an X30 came, and dropped off about 4-5 people at Maple Parkway. Is that roughly the same number of people that get on there in the morning?

Also, how is the ridership at the 3 stops along South Avenue nowadays?

By the way: isn't Pollo Tropical still around, or did they leave it vacant like they did with the former location of Western Beef (Forest Avenue/South Avenue)?

I believe nothing is there now. It is just vacant. That old Western Beef, man, was that building run down. You can see it even from the express bus. It is very obvious now. They were smart to move. As far as passengers there, it depends on the time of day. If it is the last bus, you'll see lots of folks getting off generally, unless it is a Friday or during the summer time you'll see less folks. Speaking of the (S74) and (S76) or whatever is going to run by Bricktowne, is it me or did they get more service on those lines? I noticed when I was waiting for an X10 there on the service road, they seem to run a bit frequent.

Yikes, how did this change from Charleston and Bricktown to South Beach and express buses???

If you read further up in the thread, we were also discussing service changes and how service either hasn't changed or the schedules have remained the same etc, so it is related. :( Besides, we're talking about Hylan Blvd and such. You should be thrilled. lol

I believe nothing is there now. It is just vacant. That old Western Beef, man, was that building run down. You can see it even from the express bus. It is very obvious now. They were smart to move. As far as passengers there, it depends on the time of day. If it is the last bus, you'll see lots of folks getting off generally, unless it is a Friday or during the summer time you'll see less folks. Speaking of the (S74) and (S76) or whatever is going to run by Bricktowne, is it me or did they get more service on those lines? I noticed when I was waiting for an X10 there on the service road, they seem to run a bit frequent.

If you read further up in the thread, we were also discussing service changes and how service either hasn't changed or the schedules have remained the same etc, so it is related. :P Besides, we're talking about Hylan Blvd and such. You should be thrilled. lol

I think part of the reason why it is run down is because it is vacant, and the owners haven't been maintaining the property. If they were still a tenant, maybe it would be more well-kept.

It is the S74/S84 and S78 that will be running there.

I think the S76 had the service increased during rush hour and decreased off-peak.

I think part of the reason why it is run down is because it is vacant, and the owners haven't been maintaining the property. If they were still a tenant, maybe it would be more well-kept.

It is the S74/S84 and S78 that will be running there.

I think the S76 had the service increased during rush hour and decreased off-peak.

I think you mentioned it already, but I saw a notice today about service starting beginning 24.04.11.

That probably means that they'll put the new schedules up on 23rd or so.

Hasn't that 01:35 X1 (from Midtown) been around for a couple of years now?

And which X10 was added? At a glance, the schedule looks the same to me: It still runs every 45 minutes between 10:30 and 12:00.

I think the 08:45 X10 from Port Richmond used to bypass Narrows Road South. Now, it serves all of the stops there.

They also increased the midday headways of the S48 from 15 minutes to 12 minutes (before, it was just from 14:00-15:00 I think)

As far as the S74/S84 and S78 go, I think the midday headways on the S78 decreased from 20 minutes to 15 minutes (I'll have to compare it to an older schedule). Maybe that shows that they think there is going to be a lot of demand for service to Bricktowne.

As far as the S74/S84 and S78 go, I think the midday headways on the S78 decreased from 20 minutes to 15 minutes (I'll have to compare it to an older schedule). Maybe that shows that they think there is going to be a lot of demand for service to Bricktowne.

What do you think the one-minute headway from 0000 to 0002 on the S74 outbound Sunday is for? Those will probably be the emptiest buses in regular service leaving St George!

And the July schedule changes include ending the (S57) one hour earlier daily.

Hasn't that 01:35 X1 (from Midtown) been around for a couple of years now?

And which X10 was added? At a glance, the schedule looks the same to me: It still runs every 45 minutes between 10:30 and 12:00.

I think the 08:45 X10 from Port Richmond used to bypass Narrows Road South. Now, it serves all of the stops there.

They also increased the midday headways of the S48 from 15 minutes to 12 minutes (before, it was just from 14:00-15:00 I think)

Actually now that I've looked again quickly at the X1 it is the same. I was looking at the times that they arrive at the ETC and that's why I got mixed up. I was hoping they would add a later bus so I could hang out later in the city, but I'll keep hoping. :mad:

They did however add an X10 on Sundays... If I recall correctly it is still a 45 minute wait from 11:44 to 12:29, BUT it used to be an hour wait from 12:29 until 13:29 there at Slosson and Schmidts. :mad: They added a bus at 13:59, so that's the difference. ;) I've got these damn express bus schedules etched in my mind like clockwork since I rely on them so heavily to get around. I still want to see later runs on the X14 and X30. Notice they haven't updated those yet... :mad:

The ferry runs every hour, but they probably figure that the ferry will be very crowded, so they run a pair of buses. I don't know how crowded they are, since the latest bus I've been on was the S96 at 22:00.

Regarding the extra buses, believe it or not, the local and express buses are very crowded at that time of night. If you notice the X10 schedule, at 12:00 there is a 00:06 and then a 00:23, and bother are heavily used. The X1 is also is very crowded and sometimes is even SRO at that time, hence why we need service extended for both the X1 and X10 past 01:30 in the morning. The could run the last bus at 02:30 even from Midtown and that would be great.

The locals get heavy usage too, esp. the (S53) and I can recall when I went out and got drunk when I was younger and made my way onto the (S48) they were quite full also, not packed, but still well used. You will see more folks using the service later esp. now that more and more folks are coming from Brooklyn.

Archived