Start of Service to Bricktowne Centre

Amtrak7

The MTA didn't make it car-centric: The people made it car-centric. They moved to the South Shore because of its suburban nature, and suburbs are naturally car-centric (spread out housing, spread out shopping, etc)

The South Shore as we know it is changing. More and more people are moving down there, so this idea of it being this suburban place is changing and congestion is getting worse since folks are moving here w/2 or 3 cars which we cannot sustain, so transportation at some point will be needed in the South Shore if they want to make any sort of dent in the congestion. The streets further south simply cannot handle the high volume of traffic that the South Shore is experiencing now.

But that isn't the MTA's fault. Even with more people moving there, it is still spread out.

For example, look at Tottenville: All of the shopping is all at the western end, near Main Street, so people living near, say Page Avenue can't walk to that area, so they drive.

The same thing applies to Arden Heights: It is a residential area with nothing anywhere nearby.

But that isn't the MTA's fault. Even with more people moving there, it is still spread out.

It is still spread out NOW, yes, but the rapid growth down there will mean that won't continue to be the case, that's the point. The North Shore wasn't always as urban as it is now either. Things change over time.

When it reaches that point where it becomes more urban, ridership will naturally grow and the MTA will naturally add more service.

When the housing is concentrated, more walkable businesses go to serve the area (since they see that there is a large concentration of people in the area) and the area naturally becomes more walkable. Then, as people decide to give up their cars, transit service improvaes as well.

When it reaches that point where it becomes more urban, ridership will naturally grow and the MTA will naturally add more service.

When the housing is concentrated, more walkable businesses go to serve the area (since they see that there is a large concentration of people in the area) and the area naturally becomes more walkable. Then, as people decide to give up their cars, transit service improvaes as well.

The amount of congestion can lead to that also. Aside from that they haven't been adding service accordingly based on the growth of the population on the South Shore. It is still gravely underserved.

Because it is still too spread out to support the services.

And you have to consider that the ridership growth has been absorbed by the existing capacity. Before, the MTA was running buses purely for network coverage. Now, they're actually expecting ridership on these buses.

The housing is too spread out to support services that you can walk to. I'm sure 95% of riders on the local buses walked to the bus stop.

Express buses are a different story, since many riders have cars, so being spread out is less meaningful (though, of course, it helps to have the people within walking distance, but it isn't a necessity in order to have high ridership)

The housing is too spread out to support services that you can walk to. I'm sure 95% of riders on the local buses walked to the bus stop.

Express buses are a different story, since many riders have cars, so being spread out is less meaningful (though, of course, it helps to have the people within walking distance, but it isn't a necessity in order to have high ridership)

Perhaps, BUT I do see plenty of people being dropped off to the local bus.

But there are plenty more who walk to the bus stop, and I'm sure those people getting dropped off are either students (who get a free ride) or people going to St. George, since otherwise, mass transit is more expensive and inconvenient than driving to their destination.

I was thinking about Hylan Blvd...

Elaborate. What don't you agree with? The fact that Tottenville loses direct service to the Eltingville Transit Center?

Like I said before, it would unnecessarily elongate the S74 route if it served Bricktowne and Tottenville. Riders in Tottenville would have to sit through the S74 route as it loops through Bricktowne. At least this way, they have access to the S78, which helps if they are going to an area near both bus routes (assuming that area isn't served by the SIR).

What I do think should happen is that some trippers should operate to I.S.34 after serving Bricktowne, since a lot of complaints regarding school bus service being eliminated were based on the fact that the S74 didn't directly serve the school. (Of course, the other complaints, such as no sidewalks at the bus stops, and long distances to the bus stop would have to be addressed seperately, if at all)

Yeah, that's the main issue. (S74) riders are forced to transfer @ Bricktowne for the (S78). The (S78) is already elongated as it is.

I was thinking about Hylan Blvd...

In what neighborhood? And what types of people were being dropped off (business-type people, students, etc)

Yeah, that's the main issue. (S74) riders are forced to transfer @ Bricktowne for the (S78). The (S78) is already elongated as it is.

But this is the only real way to provide service to Bricktowne. You could reroute the S74 to serve Bricktowne, and then continue to Tottenville, but that would end up lengthening the trip of riders from Tottenville anyway (not to mention the fact that it would increase the potential for delays for riders north of Bricktowne)

I wonder what the bus stop poles and destination signs will say. They bus stop poles will probably say "Charleston", since that's the neighborhood that Bricktowne is in, and the destination sign would probably say something like "BRICKTWN CTR/via HYLAN BL" (for the S78) or "via AR KILL RD" (for the S74).

In what neighborhood? And what types of people were being dropped off (business-type people, students, etc)

But this is the only real way to provide service to Bricktowne. You could reroute the S74 to serve Bricktowne, and then continue to Tottenville, but that would end up lengthening the trip of riders from Tottenville anyway (not to mention the fact that it would increase the potential for delays for riders north of Bricktowne)

Mix of folks over by the Grasmere/South Beach area...

Archived