metrocards

Howie

This is like the second thread about buying Metrocards on the cheap. Are people that cheap that they can't pay $2.25 to ride the bus or subway?? I mean if you really don't want to spend the money, get a bike and bike whereever you need to go.

I just find the whole idea completely unnecessary considering that very few people actually pay $2.25 for their ride.

Not only that, but these cheapos are just making the fares higher for everyone else who pays...

This is like the second thread about buying Metrocards on the cheap. Are people that cheap that they can't pay $2.25 to ride the bus or subway?? I mean if you really don't want to spend the money, get a bike and bike whereever you need to go.

I just find the whole idea completely unnecessary considering that very few people actually pay $2.25 for their ride.

Not only that, but these cheapos are just making the fares higher for everyone else who pays...

It isn't like we're willing to risk the safety of our computers and personal information to save the money on the MetroCards, but if we have the opportunity to get them cheaper, why would we turn it down?

And while the average fare paid is something like $1.30 or something like that, you have to consider that us Pay-Per-Ride users aren't getting that heavy a discount: We pay $2.10 per ride when you consider the bonus, which is only $0.15 less than the regular fare.

And there are plenty of ways in which the MTA loses money by giving discounts. Unlimited MetroCards (such as your Express Bus Plus MetroCard) are already a huge bargain. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have them, but you can't pin the blame on farebeaters and people looking for discounts, because they are a small portion of riders overall.

It isn't like we're willing to risk the safety of our computers and personal information to save the money on the MetroCards, but if we have the opportunity to get them cheaper, why would we turn it down?

And while the average fare paid is something like $1.30 or something like that, you have to consider that us Pay-Per-Ride users aren't getting that heavy a discount: We pay $2.10 per ride when you consider the bonus, which is only $0.15 less than the regular fare.

And there are plenty of ways in which the MTA loses money by giving discounts. Unlimited MetroCards (such as your Express Bus Plus MetroCard) are already a huge bargain. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have them, but you can't pin the blame on farebeaters and people looking for discounts, because they are a small portion of riders overall.

How much of a discount do you expect to get when you're paying per ride??? I fork over $50.00 a week and sometimes I don't use the express bus everyday, so my savings some weeks are minimal at best, but I am not paying per ride like you are and if I was I would expect the fare to be higher naturally.

There is nothing wrong with trying to save. I look for the most economical Metrocard as well, but I just think this is very cheap and quite frankly unnecessary and ridiculous. The folks doing this think that they're saving, but the only thing they're doing is raising the fare for their fellow passengers who are buying Metrocards legitimately because one way or another the (MTA) will get their money.

Quite frankly maybe if they weren't so generous with discounts when they had money maybe the fares would be lower now and they would be in better shape financially. They would be better off keeping the fare low and not giving a discount because this way folks couldn't complain about not having one. In the end the more discounts they give, the more discounts people will want and the system doesn't pay for itself.

I quite frankly have no problem with the express bus fare and think that it should be raised to $7.00 each way and they could make the Unlimited card $60.00 a week.

In the long run, it all comes down to the fact that the MTA is underfunded by the City and State. Even when you consider transfers and Unlimited MetroCards, we have some of the highest fares in the country (and we have the most cost-efficient system due to so many people riding it, so our fares should actually be at the other end of the spectrum if you think about it)

According to the site, he obtained them from people who were unable to use them, who sold the tickets/MetroCards to him for a very low price (remember that the MTA implemented a new policy with regards to refunding LIRR/Metro-North tickets)

If an LIRR ticket normally costs $6, and somebody sells it to you for $3, you can sell it for $4 and still make a profit on it.

I'm sure a similar situation would apply with MetroCards.

That is why I asked in the first place: I figured that there is a chance that a deal that good could be a scam to steal personal information. I'm not buying anything from them until somebody verifies that they have actually delivered the MetroCards to them.

As far as finding enough people goes, he is the first link that comes up when you search things to the effect of "cheap MetroCards" or "discounted MetroCards".

According to the site, he obtained them from people who were unable to use them, who sold the tickets/MetroCards to him for a very low price (remember that the MTA implemented a new policy with regards to refunding LIRR/Metro-North tickets)

If an LIRR ticket normally costs $6, and somebody sells it to you for $3, you can sell it for $4 and still make a profit on it.

I'm sure a similar situation would apply with MetroCards.

None of this adds up.

First with the metrocards, if you refund a metrocard through the MTA don't you get your money back? Why turn it in for less than you would get back through legitimate means?

Secondly, with the MNR and LIRR tickets it's true there are extreme limitations regarding the refunds but the tickets are only valid for approximately 2 weeks. By the time people sell it to these potential scammers and the ticket gets turned around is it still going to be valid? I doubt it.

Archived