What's Your Heritage?

Jashawn R.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad was born in Puerto Rico (his parents were born in Dominican Republic), My mom was born in Dominican Republic, and I was born here. However, I just tell most people I am Black, the only time people realize Im hispanic, is if they hear my last name or hear me speaking spanish (which is a rarity).

Ancestry: German, Italian, Polish, and Jewish. Paternal Grandparents emigrated from Italy and Germany in the 1890' and settled in The Bronx. Maternal Grandparents emigrated from Poland in the 1920's and settled in Scranton.

Birth: American, New Jerseyan.

Residence: New Jerseyan (Birth, former), New Yorker (former), Arizonan (current). Possibly, I also could be a United Statesian as well as an American.

Interesting... Afrikaaner as in of Dutch origin or what?? Do you speak any Afrikaans?? B)

ek Kan praat een bietje Afrikaans.

my ouma en oupa meer weet.

I know a little. My grandparents know more. My family lived there for about 3-4 generations, but immigrated there in the late 1800s.

ek Kan praat een bietje Afrikaans.

my ouma en oupa meer weet.

I know a little. My grandparents know more. My family lived there for about 3-4 generations, but immigrated there in the late 1800s.

I asked because I've worked on hundreds of language projects and I finally had my first Afrikaans project last year... :cool:

It reminds me of Dutch quite a bit... B)

I asked because I've worked on hundreds of language projects and I finally had my first Afrikaans project last year... :cool:

It reminds me of Dutch quite a bit... B)

its an easier version of dutch, it has a more simplified grammar than dutch. I haven't spoken it in a while so I'm a bit rusty.

So tell me more about your language project

its an easier version of dutch, it has a more simplified grammar than dutch. I haven't spoken it in a while so I'm a bit rusty.

So tell me more about your language project

A client of mine had this small article in Afrikaans that they needed translated. I was thinking that it has similarites to English like Dutch & German.

A client of mine had this small article in Afrikaans that they needed translated. I was thinking that it has similarites to English like Dutch & German.

if you can understand dutch, you can understand Afrikaans. Its actually not hard for someone who knows english to pick up and understand since theres a lot of similar words that are just spelled differently.

if you can understand dutch, you can understand Afrikaans. Its actually not hard for someone who knows english to pick up and understand since theres a lot of similar words that are just spelled differently.

True... German is like that also to a degree, it's just that everything is spelled like it's pronounced...

Examples:

Kanada

Amerika

Spanien

Rom

:cool:

Does Dutch or Afrikaans work like German does where they "build words" to make one word?

True... German is like that also to a degree, it's just that everything is spelled like it's pronounced...

Examples:

Kanada

Amerika

Spanien

Rom

:cool:

Does Dutch or Afrikaans work like German does where they "build words" to make one word?

yea, some examples I remember:

waslap = was + lap (washcloth)

boekwinkel = boek + winkel (bookstore)

driehoek = drie + hoek (triangle)

botha mi parent dem a born in ahmerica....

mi fada... him a haff root in a di bahbados, but him bawn in BROOKLYN

mi mada... she haff root donn in di south thea' like mi yute Fresh Pond... but she also bawn in BROOKLYN....

wha' ya know bout ride from parkway go plaza fi 2 dollar pon Uuuuutica....

wha' ya know bout ride from downtown go plaza fi 2 dollar pon....

FLATBOOSH !!!!

mi mada... she haff root donn in di south thea' like mi yute Fresh Pond... but she also bawn in BROOKLYN....

FLATBOOSH !!!!

That explains a lot. :)

FLATBOOSH !!!!

Translation...

His father has barbados blood in him,but he was born in Brooklyn

His mother has southern roots like Fresh Pond's mother,but his mom was also born in Brooklyn

What do you guys know about riding for 2 dollars from the parkway to Utica

What do you guys know about riding for 2 dollars from downtown to Flatbush

LOL:p

FLATBOOSH !!!!

Wah gwan B)

FLATBOOSH !!!!

Dis man a canon lmfao!

"Look pon all the raggamuffin pikny on here!"

I'm of Caribbean decent

My dad was born in Barbados, came to the US in his teens. I get my humor and general smartassness (yes its a word,lol) from him.

My mom is from Jamaica, she also came to the US in her teens. I get 100% of my temper from her. Also the crappy eyesight,lol!

"Look pon all the raggamuffin pikny on here!"

I'm of Caribbean decent

My dad was born in Barbados, came to the US in his teens. I get my humor and general smartassness (yes its a word,lol) from him.

My mom is from Jamaica, she also came to the US in her teens. I get 100% of my temper from her. Also the crappy eyesight,lol!

I have that temper and its all because of my mom. She came from Jamaica when she was 32. Alot of ppl i know call me an ******* which comes from my dad but i blame ny. I can be very arrogant.

Archived