What's Your Heritage?

Jashawn R.

I have that temper and its all because of my mom. She came from Jamaica when she was 32. Alot of ppl i know call me an ******* which comes from my dad but i blame ny. I can be very arrogant.

My dad and his side of the family is very laid back. They have arguments here and there but it's mostly smart-alecky remarks and laughter on that side.

My mother's side....OMG, these people are like elephants....they forget nothing. Stuff that happened 30 yrs ago in Jamaica STILL get brought up! And the grudges are lifetime. But they are by far the most entertaining side...I remember I was 10-11 y/o when my Grandmother threatened her brother with a machete at Thanksgiving dinner,lol!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The largest race in me in Peruvian. I also have some Russian and Austrian heritage, some Spanish heritage and a small amount of French and Italian heritage.

Peruvian is not a race, nor is Spanish, Russian, Austrian, French or Italian. I know in Spanish they like to use that idea of "la raza" like they do in México, but it is incorrect.

Now, nationality wise I'm half Italian-American (Sicilian), but race wise I'm mixed. I know that a few of the place where I've worked at have put me down as white even though I'm clearly mixed and am often mixed up as being Hispanic (Dominican or Puerto Rican esp., lol), but I don't object since I am mainly white. That's why they say that Latinos can be of any race (white, Asian, black, trigueño, mulato, etc.)

The other day a Spaniard came into the office and I walked out of my office and started chatting w/her in Spanish and she asked me I was Dominican? I've even had Dominicans swear up and down that I'm Dominican. Tato loco, tato... ¡Jajaja!

Peruvian is not a race, nor is Spanish, Russian, Austrian, French or Italian. I know in Spanish they like to use that idea of "la raza" like they do in México, but it is incorrect.

Now, nationality wise I'm half Italian-American (Sicilian), but race wise I'm mixed. I know that a few of the place where I've worked at have put me down as white even though I'm clearly mixed and am often mixed up as being Hispanic (Dominican or Puerto Rican esp., lol), but I don't object since I am mainly white. That's why they say that Latinos can be of any race (white, Asian, black, trigueño, mulato, etc.)

The other day a Spaniard came into the office and I walked out of my office and started chatting w/her in Spanish and she asked me I was Dominican? I've even had Dominicans swear up and down that I'm Dominican. Tato loco, tato... ¡Jajaja!

That's what I meant. So I guess race is White, Latino, etc? OK. In that case, I'm part White and part Latino, and my nationalities are all of the ones I mentioned before.

So then do you have any Latin ancestry? Or is your skin darker because of your Sicilian background?

By the way, would it be gramatically correct to say I have Peruvian heitage or not? Because technically, that is what this topic is about.

That's what I meant. So I guess race is White, Latino, etc? OK. In that case, I'm part White and part Latino, and my nationalities are all of the ones I mentioned before.

So then do you have any Latin ancestry? Or is your skin darker because of your Sicilian background?

By the way, would it be gramatically correct to say I have Peruvian heitage or not? Because technically, that is what this topic is about.

Latino isn't a race. It is a nationality, although Hispanics often mix it up and will think that saying that they're Hispanic refers to their race.

As far as my background goes, my father is white basically, but I'm not sure if he has any Spanish mixture or anything, but many Sicilians have Spanish (from Spain), Arabic (from the Moors), Norman (from the French) and of course Italian. Italians do consider themselves to be of Latin origin though, just like the Portuguese and Spaniards do. It's my mother's side w/the mixture. She has some black and some Irish as well I believe, as her father was mixed w/freckles. The funny thing is I don't look anything like my mother. When we would go out together people would think we were a couple and if one of her girlfriends was with us who is light skinned, then they'd think she was my mother. LOL

That picture that you saw of me was in Assisi in Italy around May of 2004 or so, but even then it was sort of hot, but I can get darker than that if I sit out in the sun and tan and such. I felt weird though because I'm not used to being that dark. It happened many years ago when I was a camp counselor one summer working at this camp in Brighton Beach. It was really hot that year and I got really brown. My mom thought it was funny since I had never been that dark before and me I was sort of freaked out seeing myself that dark. :eek: LOL My complexion got lighter though of course as I got less sun.

P.S. Yes, you can say that you have Peruvian heritage.

• 1 year later...

I am Italian, Irish, French, Puerto Rican, Trindadian and African American, with some Brazilian, German and Jewish blood but they aren't my nationality unlike the other 6. sorry for bumping an old thread lol.

Well I think you've taken the title away from me as the "mixed" boy... :lol:

Huh? :huh:

I just feel that some people cause simple threads like this to go awry because they can't have a civilized conversation about the 4 "forbidden" topics: Politics, religion, race, and money. You can probably now, in today's day and age throw sexuality into the mix. Not playing down any of these topics, but they are shaky ground in a place like the internet.

I just feel that some people cause simple threads like this to go awry because they can't have a civilized conversation about the 4 "forbidden" topics: Politics, religion, race, and money. You can probably now, in today's day and age throw sexuality into the mix. Not playing down any of these topics, but they are shaky ground in a place like the internet.

Well this thread was created some time ago and seems to be doing just fine, so there goes that theory.

I am Italian, Irish, French, Puerto Rican, Trindadian and African American, with some Brazilian, German and Jewish blood but they aren't my nationality unlike the other 6. sorry for bumping an old thread lol.

Damn, that's a lot of nationalities. I know someone from Trinidad who is mostly of Indian descent, and who has a little Chinese in there.

Archived