What's Your Heritage?

Jashawn R.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am African American, in relation to an incident that occured on the forums a while ago.

Both my parents are Vincy.

Actually trainguy and others of carribean descent you Afro-Carribean-American which some NYC area journalists describe to different from US born "African-Americans."

Not to get off topic but what you call these celebrities nationalities?

Mariah Carey

Hallie Barrie

Christina Ageurlia

Adam Clayton Powell III

MLB Player/former Yankee Johnny Damon

Rapper Drake

Jessica Alba

Rhinna

Just to name a few?

Rhianna is from Barbados so she is Carbbean

Drake is mixed African-Canadian and Jewish

Hallie Berry is African American isn't she?

That's all I know...

Mixed yes, white no. At least that's my personal opinion.

Iol... I suppose that is correct using the dump one drop rule, which by the way only exists in the United States, but I've never classified myself as a white dude. I'm mixed and that's that. Nothing more nothing less. Quite frankly I think just being an average white dude could be boring. Being mixed has exposed me to so many cool things and it's not like I've suffered from coming from a mixed background. I've led a rather successful life at the ripe age of 30. Hell I know full blooded Italians that check off "white" just because that's what society says is right, but some of them don't consider themselves as such based on the mixture of the country in certain parts, but that's another story. I actually researched that whole identity issue when I lived in Italy and presented it in one my classes. It was interesting to say the least.

Christina Aguilera I think is somewhere from South America

Her father was from Ecuador.

Another actress who looks mixed is Nicki Minaj. She's from Trinidad, but her skin looks pretty light. I mean, in some photos her skin tone is basically European (like here: http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoS5tZhBQ5z8A8U.JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dnicki%2Bminaj%26n%3D30%26ei%3Dutf-8%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D9&w=1280&h=722&imgurl=images5.fanpop.com%2Fimage%2Fphotos%2F26500000%2FNicki-Minaj-nicki-minaj-26542542-1280-722.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanpop.com%2Fspots%2Fnicki-minaj%2Fimages%2F26542542%2Ftitle&size=68.8+KB&name=Nicki+Minaj+-+Nicki+Minaj+Photo+%2826542542%29+-+Fanpop+fanclubs.&p=nicki+minaj&oid=facecf4689c83bc83c74a3cebbe81dae&fr2=&fr=&tt=Nicki%2BMinaj%2B-%2BNicki%2BMinaj%2BPhoto%2B%252826542542%2529%2B-%2BFanpop%2Bfanclubs.&b=0&ni=110&no=9&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11trump0v&sigb=12ps10l5j&sigi=12mqar229&.crumb=EmHbXQby0fu), whereas in others, it's more of a mestizio look (like here: http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoQ7vZRBQv0cA8buJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBydjlkNmZvBHNlYwNkZC1pbWctc3VtLTEEc2xrA2xhdGltZw--?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dnicki%2Bminaj%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701-s%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26ri%3D2%26tab%3Dorganic&w=324&h=410&imgurl=d4.yimg.com%2Fsr%2Fimg%2F1%2Fecf901e7-ab00-3b40-9f86-2f9de1e7efc5&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.omg.yahoo.com%2Fphotos%2Fnicki-minaj-slams-absurd-festival-dressing-room-demands-photo-051851666.html&size=18KB+%7C+1+day+ago&name=FayesVision%2FWENN.com&p=nicki+minaj&oid=ecf901e7-ab00-3b40-9f86-2f9de1e7efc5&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-701-s&tt=FayesVision%252FWENN.com&b=0&ni=21&no=2&ts=&c=0%2C20%2C198%2C219&s=0&sigr=13bug9235&sigb=1369hbp2q&sigi=11pbfsuj9&.crumb=EmHbXQby0fu)

I could've sworn there.were some videos/photos where she looked darker. Unless she tried lightening her skin or something. :wacko: Either that, or maybe her family was from Trinidad, but her roots are a mixture of European & African.

Actually trainguy and others of carribean descent you Afro-Carribean-American which some NYC area journalists describe to different from US born "African-Americans."

I've heard of that people of African descent from the Caribbean get piss when they're called African-American.

EDIT: That reminds me. Has anyone ever seen Finding Your Roots and Faces of America on PBS, hosted by Henry Louis Gates?

My father's from Boca Chica in the Dominican Republic (just east of Santo Domingo), while my mother is from Salinas, Puerto Rico (on the south side of the island, 20 mins from Ponce).

It's a relief to see someone of Dominican descent not automatically claim to be from Santo Domingo. lol

Same thing with many Asians. There are alot of Asian Americans of bi-racial heritage that prefer to identify themselves just the way they are rather than what society dictates to them how they should identify themselves.

Exactly. I saw a white and Asian couple on the M3 on Sunday and the kid looked like a mixture of both. Now and days I think our generation grows up with the idea of folks identifying with all of their mixture(s) as they should. Of course some folks are still stuck on the one drop rule nonsense, but I think more folks are saying screw it.

I'm good friends with this woman who is Eurasian. Her mother is Korean and her father is Irish-American. Her cousin, he is Afro-Asian. His mother is Korean and his father is Afro-American. Which makes the lady's mother his aunt.

My friend and her cousin are only a year apart in age. She's older.

They both look almost exactly like their mothers (who again are sisters). And they are both identifying themselves as mixed Asian-Americans. Both of them are also speaking Korean fluently.

The point is that either way they are both very damn proud of their Korean heritage as well as their American heritage. Not allowing this society or the society they deal with abroad, dictate to them how they as individuals, should identify themselves as bi-racial Asian Americans. They don't give in exactly to the drop one race rule.

Which makes me very motivated as an Chinese American of mixed Asian heritage myself. I refuse to give in to it.

So yes you are correct. Many more Americans of mixed Asian heritage are refusing to stick to that dreaded drop one race rule. Psychologists recently agreed that it would be detremental to the child in an interracial marriage to do so and advised against it.

It's a relief to see someone of Dominican descent not automatically claim to be from Santo Domingo. lol

You'll be surprised to hear Dominicans being from Santiago (in the central region of the island, or el Cibao Valley) in addition to the capital.

You'll be surprised to hear Dominicans being from Santiago (in the central region of the island, or el Cibao Valley) in addition to the capital.

Not at all... I've met quite a few Dominicans from Santiago... I have to say their accent is a bit different though compared to someone from the capital... The Spanish is a bit clearer/nicer usually and not so cut up...

Not at all... I've met quite a few Dominicans from Santiago... I have to say their accent is a bit different though compared to someone from the capital... The Spanish is a bit clearer/nicer usually and not so cut up...

But those Cibaeños do have a tendency to talk slightly faster than Dominicans from the other regions.

• 8 months later...

Born in America, Chinese/Korean blood, raised in an Italian family. So you take your pick on my nationality.

Missed this comment and yeah I know this is a old thread but whatever, let me post. I have a similar background to yours in a way.. I was raised in an Afro-American family as an mixed Asian man, proudly Chinese by name. It's been recently I've been back in touch with my Asian side of my family. Very recently. I feel it's like a beautiful revelation. 

What do I pick? Dude f**k the haters, you are a man on a mission making moves and going places. Period.

I am mixed race, my mother is black and my father is white.

As far of my origin, I know that some of my ancestors came from Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Africa through the West Indies and France.

A bit of the immigration story of France in the 19th century and a bit of the colonial history with the slave trade in West Indies.

Even with all this diversity of ancestors, there is no immigrants in my familly. I was often was one of the few pupils in my classes who don't have any immigrants parents or grandparents (even my great-grandparents were not immigrants).

I can't feel something else than French, even if my parents are very cosmopolitan and open to the world. 

Japanese, Portuguese, Dominican, and Peruvian.

No doubt. My little kitten is Japanese by birth, speaks Japanese fluently and raised in Tokyo (old news), however she is mixed Asian too, she's part Brazilian.

Her dad is 100% Japanese and her mom is from Sao Paulo, Brazil. Goes to show how more and more of us here in this world are sharing a multicultural heritage, in this country and abroad, slowly but surely in this day and time.

I am mixed race, my mother is black and my father is white.

As far of my origin, I know that some of my ancestors came from Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Africa through the West Indies and France.

A bit of the immigration story of France in the 19th century and a bit of the colonial history with the slave trade in West Indies.

Even with all this diversity of ancestors, there is no immigrants in my familly. I was often was one of the few pupils in my classes who don't have any immigrants parents or grandparents (even my great-grandparents were not immigrants).

I can't feel something else than French, even if my parents are very cosmopolitan and open to the world.

I have relatives that share their ancestory tracing back to the West Indies and South America(Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela) from my both sides of my family.

Archived