Whose Hiring?

Jonesy

It's not just dealing with the people that makes the job hard, it's dealing with management, and the being responsible for everything in the booth. And being accountable for every single dollar in that booth. I've done jobs dealing with money before and they would give you some kinda lead way with shortages, usually $10 was the maximum before you had to come out of pocket. Transit doesn't care if it's $1, they want it back. Working under that kinda of pressure is not easy. And we also deal with a lot co-workers that steal. There was an incident which happened 2 years ago when this guy robbed the agent he was relieving of her revenue bag which was $10,000. And then also the year before that there was a woman a former employee who was posing as people's relief and stealing money out the booth. She would say she had to go to the restroom after she stole a sizable amount from you. When I used to work security I would see the S/A in the booth and thought the job was easy, after my first day on the job I retracted that statement. We're compensated well for the job I'll admit that, but dealing with these people day in and day takes a toll on you. When I was laid I didn't miss the job one bit, I only missed the pay and benefits. But B/O's do have it worst than S/A's in the fact that they have no protection from being assaulted, which is one reason I couldn't do their job.

I want you to know that I respect your position and responsibility however I cant help but think, things like the stuff you outline can only be attributed to outright carelessness. Exactly how did this guy manage to nab 10 grand from a station agent? did he point a gun at her, did he strike her, was there no one she would be able to contact in order to verify that this stooge was a real employee. On a job like that I'd find out exactly who is going to be relieving me before going about ANYTHING AT ALL. In the case of the former employee who got away with stealing from the booth repeatedly, god dammit I said REPEATEDLY, you're gonna tell me no one in Transit never warned anyone at all about a stray goose taking SA's for suckers? I'm sure this sort of business has been going on since the dawn of the MTA. During training Transit heavily emphasizes the respect you need to have for that loot at all times even when you're about to crap your pants, does it not? I'm willing to argue that those SA's that got had lovely had a history of irresponsibility and were clock lookers who at times didn't follow operating procedures before unmanning their post. I mean would this type of stuff happen to you?? And anyway if these crimes couldn't have been avoided in any way possible then it wouldn't be the station agent's fault, would it? please inform me because I don't know.

I want you to know that I respect your position and responsibility however I cant help but think, things like the stuff you outline can only be attributed to outright carelessness. Exactly how did this guy manage to nab 10 grand from a station agent? did he point a gun at her, did he strike her, was there no one she would be able to contact in order to verify that this stooge was a real employee. On a job like that I'd find out exactly who is going to be relieving me before going about ANYTHING AT ALL. In the case of the former employee who got away with stealing from the booth repeatedly, god dammit I said REPEATEDLY, you're gonna tell me no one in Transit never warned anyone at all about a stray goose taking SA's for suckers? I'm sure this sort of business has been going on since the dawn of the MTA. During training Transit heavily emphasizes the respect you need to have for that loot at all times even when you're about to crap your pants, does it not? I'm willing to argue that those SA's that got had lovely had a history of irresponsibility and were clock lookers who at times didn't follow operating procedures before unmanning their post. I mean would this type of stuff happen to you?? And anyway if these crimes couldn't have been avoided in any way possible then it wouldn't be the station agent's fault, would it? please inform me because I don't know.

Every things your fault if money is missing or any other property from the booth. And the ten grand story goes they worked together for at least six picks(about three years)together and built a good relationship. So she felt comfortable with him dropping her bag in the safe when he relieved her. Anyway two bags came up missing when the C/A's came to pick up the money. They both got hung because of improper relief. But he already had his half of the money so five grand was nothing for him. She on the other hand had about 9kids, 5 hers and 4 from her recently dead sister. So it was much harder on her to repay the money and deal with a 30 day suspension. Like I said the job Is not rocket science or fire fighting, but it is by no means easy. You have to be these customers priest, rabbi, shrink, friend,enemy and yelling post. And then there's the drug addicts and swipers. But they are whole other story.

Thanks Will,but Donald can present all the stats he wants.When he becomes a conductor and he is punched in the head with a nail by a deranged pyscho at Continental Ave,I will show him the stats that that is one of the SAFEST stations in the entire system and that stuff CANNOT possibly happen.

He'll probably will flake out after the first day of conductor training, just like one guy who used to be a marine and was in my training class.

Thanks. Same to you. So you took the C/R promotion right?

Nah, I made up my mind that the pay difference and having to start over in seniority wasn't worth it. I will just take the next T/O promo exam, and make sure I get that certificate that ta and dcas require for S/A's to promote. I feel a almost $4 jump in pay would be far more worth it to be on the extra extra list with rto than a 35 cents one. And not talking bad about the C/R position, but I was never interested in doing that job. I took it because I believe in taking all promo tests that I qualify for and it was the only one at the time. I pursued it because I wanted to learn more about trains but after further consideration I concluded it wasn't the job for me.

Archived