Ulmer Park RTS on Gowanus this morning...

Via Garibaldi 8

I was on the X2 this morning and I was working on the laptop a bit and I happened to look over to my right and saw a 9XXX out of Ulmer Park moving nicely beside us on the Gowanus and I was wondering where in the hell that bus was going??? Now I have seen buses out of Jackie Gleason on the Gowanus naturally based on where the depot is located, but never an RTS out of Ulmer Park deadheading. :confused:

Any ideas??

They haven't run RTSs on express bus lines out of Ulmer Park for years now. The bus was deadheading somewhere.

A MCI could have broke down or something at the depot and there wasn't any spare ones, but a RTS could have been sitting around and they used that. Its possible. SI has used 6000/NG Orions on their express routes in the past when their MCI's was on PMS.

JFK once sent a OG hybrid on a express route as well.

It also could have been going to get some kind of warrenty work, in your OP it sounds like the bus was wide open, sometimes depots take governors off when they have to travel on the highway for long distances like that.

I highly doubt they would send an RTS to use on an Express route. They would just get one sitting at Quill if that was the case..

Could have been going to another depot to use as a training bus the next day.. Could have been a shuttle possibly... Could have been a number of things.. But I will put my money down it wasn't for an express run.. Would you pay $5.50 to sit on an RTS?

I loved driving them, but I wouldn't pay that to ride one. Just sayin..

I was on the X2 this morning and I was working on the laptop a bit and I happened to look over to my right and saw a 9XXX out of Ulmer Park moving nicely beside us on the Gowanus and I was wondering where in the hell that bus was going??? Now I have seen buses out of Jackie Gleason on the Gowanus naturally based on where the depot is located, but never an RTS out of Ulmer Park deadheading. :confused:

Any ideas??

I know a few guys from UP that deadhead to their routes using the Gowanus.

A MCI could have broke down or something at the depot and there wasn't any spare ones, but a RTS could have been sitting around and they used that. Its possible. SI has used 6000/NG Orions on their express routes in the past when their MCI's was on PMS.

Its very very very rare to see a local bus on an express route now, unless theres a bus shortage (IIRC the OG express bus youre referring to happened during a series of bus swaps which caught JFK off guard).

It also could have been going to get some kind of warrenty work, in your OP it sounds like the bus was wide open, sometimes depots take governors off when they have to travel on the highway for long distances like that.

I know that they do it from time to time, but esp. with the service cuts, they have plenty of MCIs to use and I believe some may still be in storage. Castleton got rid of a lot of the older ones and they are using some from (MTA) Bus and also got some from Quill since those are in better shape overall compared to what they had.

I highly doubt they would send an RTS to use on an Express route. They would just get one sitting at Quill if that was the case..

Could have been going to another depot to use as a training bus the next day.. Could have been a shuttle possibly... Could have been a number of things.. But I will put my money down it wasn't for an express run.. Would you pay $5.50 to sit on an RTS?

I loved driving them, but I wouldn't pay that to ride one. Just sayin..

My sentiments exactly jmazz... Castleton had the nerve once to send out one of those beat up Orions, one of 100 series on the X16 a few years back when they were short on MCIs. I was so pissed. I said no f*cking way am I riding that for $5.50. I waited for the next one. :mad:

I would pay 5.50 for an RTS on an express route....if it was suburban seated.... and CNG powered but sadly those are all gone now

Well those are nice when I used them on the local buses, but not for an express bus. You see I like seeing the MCIs blow by those little NGs and RTSs on the expressway like they're nothing.

MCIs (aka "expressies") are #1 man... :cool:

Well those are nice when I used them on the local buses, but not for an express bus. You see I like seeing the MCIs blow by those little NGs and RTSs on the expressway like they're nothing.

MCIs (aka "expressies") are #1 man... :cool:

haha. The CNG RTS are the buses I grew up with on the B100, 103 and the BM routes. I would kill to hear that engine again. Hopefully, the TM does a busfan trip again and uses the preserved one. I have to admit that I never rode an NYCT or MTAB MCI before, the QM24 and 25 are near me though. I've ridden NJT MCIs a few times and I have to say that they haul and sound great

haha. The CNG RTS are the buses I grew up with on the B100, 103 and the BM routes. I would kill to hear that engine again. Hopefully, the TM does a busfan trip again and uses the preserved one. I have to admit that I never rode an NYCT or MTAB MCI before, the QM24 and 25 are near me though. I've ridden NJT MCIs a few times and I have to say that they haul and sound great

It seems like NJT MCIs are moree jazzed up. I mean they seem to go for the nicer features like the plush sides or walls or whatever they call them. However I like (MTA)s MCIs better in terms of design and the logos are cool. Nothing like seeing a moose head or the Charleston logo on a MCI express bus.

It seems like NJT MCIs are moree jazzed up. I mean they seem to go for the nicer features like the plush sides or walls or whatever they call them. However I like (MTA)s MCIs better in terms of design and the logos are cool. Nothing like seeing a moose head or the Charleston logo on a MCI express bus.

NJT customizes their buses. MTA mostly goes standard.

Im a NJT MCI fan. They jake!

Me neither...I dont think I've ever ridden an MCI ever lol

I miss the o5cng's on the express routes..i used to see 9999 (now 8582) bouncing down queens blvd on the QM4 every morning lol i would love to ride an o5cng on a nice highway run

Any ideas??

If it was going towards manhattan then it was going to a depot to get a repair , if it was coming from manhattan then it was coming from another depot .

My sentiments exactly jmazz... Castleton had the nerve once to send out one of those beat up Orions, one of 100 series on the X16 a few years back when they were short on MCIs. I was so pissed. I said no f*cking way am I riding that for $5.50. I waited for the next one. :mad:

Lol.

They could have been short of MCIs and ran a RTS on a express route to make service.

Or to a another depot or ECH storage/scrap.

No , we arent short on mcis , they would never put a rts on an express route again . Those seats would rip up even more if that thing did an express route . & if it was going to ech a tow truck would of came to get it . So it was either going to another depot to get fixed , coming from a depot from getting fixed or training . Cant be anything else other than that .

No , we arent short on mcis , they would never put a rts on an express route again . Those seats would rip up even more if that thing did an express route . & if it was going to ech a tow truck would of came to get it . So it was either going to another depot to get fixed , coming from a depot from getting fixed or training . Cant be anything else other than that .

You missed the point on my point about the MCIs, one could have broke down and maybe they could have used a RTS to make service, that was the point. And what are you talking about when you say the seats would rip up?

Also, buses go to ECH on their own power all the time, there's a bunch of MCIs from UP there and I highly doubt they used a tow truck to tow each one there.

You missed the point on my point about the MCIs, one could have broke down and maybe they could have used a RTS to make service, that was the point. And what are you talking about when you say the seats would rip up?

Also, buses go to ECH on their own power all the time, there's a bunch of MCIs from UP there and I highly doubt they used a tow truck to tow each one there.

Sometimes they use a truck to tow the buses there . & the seats would get more banged up , the streets are horrible in manhattan . But i dont think they would send a rts for an express route , we were short on rts today , alot of drivers were awating a bus so they brought the bus inside , fueled it and washed it inless than 15 mins and brought it right back out . We have over 80 mcis .

If the streets are so horrible in Manhattan (and I know they are), why do they still have a large amount of NGs? Not that many RTS' there anymore.

Because either they gave away their rts or trashed them . And certain routes need certain buses , example " M66 & M72 are rts routes , hybrids cant handle them . So thats why you may see different buses on certain routes , like a rts was on the M16 , that was weird .

Exactly. Years ago a Far Rock/JFK express bus route was short a bus and had to use an O7. So it isn't unheard of to send a local bus to fill in for an express. Sure the ppl would be pissed to pay more for less, but better than waiting another 5-30min for the next bus to show up.

As for the seats, if the suburban seats were still intact after several months on a line like the B6, then how would one express run cause the seats to get ripped up?

Because either they gave away their rts or trashed them . And certain routes need certain buses , example " M66 & M72 are rts routes , hybrids cant handle them . So thats why you may see different buses on certain routes , like a rts was on the M16 , that was weird .

Why can't the (M66) and (M72) handle hybrids?

In a festival of excellent planning by the MTA, the hybrids are too tall to fit underneath the transverse bridges, whereas the RTSes can fit. As such, until we see plain diesel (i.e. LFS, O7 EPA2011) buses, RTSes must run in Manhattan.

Isn't that something... :)

Archived