Ulmer Park RTS on Gowanus this morning...

Via Garibaldi 8

Because either they gave away their rts or trashed them . And certain routes need certain buses , example " M66 & M72 are rts routes , hybrids cant handle them . So thats why you may see different buses on certain routes , like a rts was on the M16 , that was weird .

RTS, Trashed, and Manhattan don't really belong in the same sentance....

In a festival of excellent planning by the MTA, the hybrids are too tall to fit underneath the transverse bridges, whereas the RTSes can fit. As such, until we see plain diesel (i.e. LFS, O7 EPA2011) buses, RTSes must run in Manhattan.

One reason I'm surprised MJQ didn't get their hands on the LFS...but as long as the M66 and M72 are at Quill, then they will always have RTS', plain and simple.

In a festival of excellent planning by the MTA, the hybrids are too tall to fit underneath the transverse bridges, whereas the RTSes can fit. As such, until we see plain diesel (i.e. LFS, O7 EPA2011) buses, RTSes must run in Manhattan.

You sure about that....I can take a J4500 (11ft,11in)thought the 66th and 96th transverses with no problem. Well you do have to stay more to the yellow line, but I've never had a problem and we go that way pretty much everyday.

Many years ago I saw an Eagle come out of the 66th St eastbound transverse with a bad haircut on the right front of the bus. MTA is just being extra careful. The overpass would hit the batteries on the hybrids roof if it went all the way to the right. A careful operator can stay to the middle and make it but MTA is not taking a chance that all of their operators will be careful all of the time.

Many years ago I saw an Eagle come out of the 66th St eastbound transverse with a bad haircut on the right front of the bus. MTA is just being extra careful. The overpass would hit the batteries on the hybrids roof if it went all the way to the right. A careful operator can stay to the middle and make it but MTA is not taking a chance that all of their operators will be careful all of the time.

This is ridiculous anyway. Why didn't they forsee this when they were ordering the hybrids?? Those RTSs will need to be replaced eventually so they can't keep using them forever. Folks on those lines should not be deprieved of being able to ride newer buses because of an error by the (MTA). I wonder how reliability is on those two lines. The (M66) has been good, but I've had issues with the (M72).

The point is, those routes can see new buses [anything other than RTSs], they just won't be hybrids. This of course depends on the future bus orders and if such buses like the Novas [40' ones] would be sent to Manhattan.

But seeing that they've had the sh*tty RTSs over there, you'd think they'd be sending some new buses their way, but nothing for now. RTSs are cool and all, but it is time for them to go. They've been around long enough. I personally don't see why Castleton couldn't just keep the NGs they had and received a batch of the new ones to replace some of beat up Orions. Those NGs that they have aren't that old. Someone argued that they were shot or whatever, but I thought that was the whole purpose of them getting the newer batches of the NGs was because they were supposed to be able to deal with the roads better?? Aside from that there are other depots in need of new buses such as Charleston, Yukon, Ulmer Park, 126th Depot, Fresh Pond and several depots out in Queens in the Bronx. Ulmer Park should be getting for more of those new buses than they are.

Quite frankly Castleton needs to prove that they can handle their fleet better and quite frankly I haven't been all that impressed over all with their express buses nor their local buses.

But the M96/106s can run Orions and fit under the 97th street bridges. Seen and rode before/

Archived