Now the craziest one of them all

tripleeye49

MTA Empire Transit: (Commuter Railroads)

This is a wishlist for a New York State Commuter Railroad.

Actual designations for the routes could be of any name.

Route (1): Long Island (Hicksville) to White Plains

Route (2): White Plains to Scranton via Binghamton

Route (3): Scranton, P.A. to Rochester, New York

Route (4): White Plains to Albany

Route (5): Albany to Rochester

Route (6): Utica, New York to Buffalo

Route (7): Scranton, P.A. to Albany

Route (9): Binghamton to Jamestown

Route (A): Ithaca to Erie, P.A.

Route (B): Erie P.A. to Watertown, New York (via Buffalo and Rochester)

Route (C): Syracuse to Ottawa (via Ogdensburg)

Route (D): Syracuse to Montreal (via Watertown, Odgensburg, Massena, Malone)

Route (E): Utica, New York to Plattsburgh (via Watertown, Canton, Potsdam, Malone)

Route (F): Albany to Plattsburgh / Montreal

Route (G): Ottawa to Westport (via Ogdensburg, Massena, Potsdam, Saranac Lake)

Route (H): Plattsburgh to Ottawa

Route (J): Malone to Westport

Route (K): Watertown to Westport

Route (L): Albany to Burlington, VT

Route (M): Albany to Boston, MA

(7) Albany, NY to Scranton, PA. I like the idea. I would not have to take the bus from Albany to the city then to Scranton. How about somthing from Albany to Brooklyn from the SUNY Albany campus? If they built that, call it the CS for College Special, I know if would be great for everyone going to college up here.

I edited the first post to reflect what this is about, a wishlist for a statewide commuter rail, hence the name MTA Empire Transit. The MTA should run all of New York State; that would be the first thing in linking New York State with the City more. All we have is Amtrak and the Greyhound Buses to get around the state. That is really sad. New York State is a potential gold mine that needs to be tapped into.

I edited the first post to reflect what this is about, a wishlist for a statewide commuter rail, hence the name MTA Empire Transit. The MTA should run all of New York State; that would be the first thing in linking New York State with the City more. All we have is Amtrak and the Greyhound Buses to get around the state. That is really sad. New York State is a potential gold mine that needs to be tapped into.

Makes sense now.

The whole country needs more rail service. Look at all most every other country in the world, we are lagging way far behind.

- Andy

Definitely building up the infrastructure of the U.S. was what help this nation become what it has become, of course now Latin America and China are really starting to come up now with their transportation. Transit systems all over China in particular, which many are starting to say is our next super power.

Also with the gas prices situation in this country this would be the answer.

I know for sure there is a right of way from Scranton P.A. through upstate New York and New Jersey so building the routes from Scranton would be simple. Also there is a right of way from Albany to Plattsburgh via Amtrak tracks. You just need to build a second, third or fourth track where necessary.

Route (N): Yardley, P.A. to Tottenville, S.I. (Thanks, Mets (World Series Champs) fan)

Route (Q): Stamford, C.T. to Hicksville, L.I.

Route (R): Stamford, C.T. to White Plains, N.Y.

:rolleyes:

I reviewed the possible routes for what is the "(N)" a few years ago, and there is a way to do it. You take the current freight line from west trenton to the :rvl: but pass the :rvl: tracks at the bound brook area to a switch point a few miles north, which leads right across to another point then go "right" at south plainfield, all the way to right across the water from tottenville. Submersed tunnel sections between the current terminal at perth amboy and tottenville. Tada! I would ride this line several times a week vs 4 times a month currently. Would be a REALLY scenic ride too! Yardley to tottenville to st george then ferry to manhattan and (MTA)(1)to times square to enjoy lunch & a movie with my sweetheart!!! Oh, this route would triple philly-nyc service, because there is enough space on much of the pre-:rvl: section to put 4 tracks, after that i don't know how much of it could be more than one track, perhaps put an elevated track there let the freight use the lower one. It would all work, and be really cool and unique.

- Andy

Archived