Numbers of Children of Whites Falling Fast: Will become 'minority' by 2019 says article

Shortline Bus

"Numbers of Children of Whites Falling Fast" Will Become a Minority by end of this decade.

By SABRINA TAVERNISE NY Times

WASHINGTON April 6, 2010 — America’s population of white children, a majority now, will be in the minority during this decade, sooner than previously expected, according to a new report.

The Census Bureau had originally forecast that 2023 would be the tipping point for the minority population under the age of 18. But rapid growth among Latinos, Asians and people of more than one race has pushed it earlier, to 2019, according to William Frey, the senior demographer at the Brookings Institution who wrote the report about the shift, which has far-reaching political and policy implications.

The single largest increase was among Hispanics, whose birthrates are far above those of non-Hispanic whites, largely because the white population is aging and proportionally has fewer women in their child-bearing years. The median age of whites is 41, compared with 27 for Hispanics, the report said.

As a result, America’s future will include a far more diverse young population, and a largely white older generation. The contrast raises important policy questions. Will the older generation pay for educating a younger generation that looks less like itself? And while the young population is a potential engine of growth for the economy, will it be a burden if it does not have access to adequate education?

The population of white children fell by 4.3 million, or about 10 percent, in the last decade, while the population of Hispanic and Asian children grew by 5.5 million, or about 38 percent, according to the report, which was based on 2010 Census numbers.

The number of African-American children also fell, down by 2 percent. Over all, minorities now make up 46.5 percent of the under-18 population.

Whites are now the minority of child populations in 10 states, double the number from the previous decade, according to the report, and in 35 cities, including Atlanta, Phoenix and Orlando, Fla. Vermont had the largest drop in its child population of any state.

The changes also have political implications. Though whites are still 63 percent of the population as a whole, that is down from 75.6 percent in the 1990's and minorities, particularly Hispanics, who now outnumber blacks, are becoming an increasingly important part of the electorate.

Mr. Frey estimates that whites will slip into the minority by about 2041. The number of whites grew by just 1.2 percent in the population as a whole in the last decade, a fraction of the 43 percent growth among Latinos."

For rest of article here link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/us/06census.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&hpw=&adxnnlx=1302098427-Zay1+OZtdkefLtV6j5mUmg

These days people are mixing it up as far as who they marry, date and bear children with. We're going to see (if we haven't already) a huge growth in the percentage numbers for children with mixed heritages.

There actually been suggestions to create a separte category for multi-racial people. However it's been blocked mainly by surprise some political groups on these grounds. One main reason is that the number from Black/Afro-Americans would dramtically be lowered.

I am not saying I agree as I also feel a 'multi-racial category' should be created but explaining the situation going back to the early days of America and the '1/3 blood' debate regarding the Black population.

Another aspect regarding this story, this is a huge factor on why Obama got elected to being President. Like or not, the GOP and Democratics needs to recurit more 'people of color' to win national elections or else they will become a permament 2nd class party.

This is not partisan yet.

There actually been suggestions to create a separte category for multi-racial people. However it's been blocked mainly by surprise some political groups on these grounds. One main reason is that the number from Black/Afro-Americans would dramtically be lowered.

I am not saying I agree as I also feel a 'multi-racial category' should be created but explaining the situation going back to the early days of America and the '1/3 blood' debate regarding the Black population.

Another aspect regarding this story, this is a huge factor on why Obama got elected to being President. Like or not, the GOP and Democratics needs to recurit more 'people of color' to win national elections or else they will become a permament 2nd class party.

This is not partisan yet.

Race has always been a partisan issue. Before the 1940s-1960s, the Republican party held a significant support of black voters, and from the 1960s onwards the Democrats have held that part of the population.

Part of the opposition to the mixed race category comes from those who still follow the one drop rule; the former Jim Crow legislation that didn't differentiate between "mixraced" or "black." The common thinking being that one drop of black blood made you black, don't change it now to serve a purpose (You notice not a lot of African Americans call the President mixed or mulatto). Im not saying its right, but thats kind of how it is right now.

there is one upside to this, with incoming imigration, it means the idea of the American Dream is still alive.

The American dream is a farce and has long been dead. People come here to make money and send it back home or take it back home with them. The immigrants from generations past came here to make a better life. Now the immigrants who come here are just using and abusing the system. They come here and make the neighborhoods they live in just as bad an mirror the ghettos and shanty towns they came from.

The people who do stay are living in squander with low quality of life and are in debt. Thats not the American dream. Freedom is no longer, you have less rights and just some privelages. There are more and more laws, acts, and executive orders that restrict freedom and trample on the constitution which is a dying horse that cannot be beat anylonger to get it back up.

Race has always been a partisan issue. Before the 1940s-1960s, the Republican party held a significant support of black voters, and from the 1960s onwards the Democrats have held that part of the population.

Part of the opposition to the mixed race category comes from those who still follow the one drop rule; the former Jim Crow legislation that didn't differentiate between "mixraced" or "black." The common thinking being that one drop of black blood made you black, don't change it now to serve a purpose (You notice not a lot of African Americans call the President mixed or mulatto). Im not saying its right, but thats kind of how it is right now.

Great explaination:tup:. However with this article and 2010 census data shows us is that the issue of creating 'mixed race' will be explored/debated and even have to be created.

Great explaination:tup:. However with this article and 2010 census data shows us is that the issue of creating 'mixed race' will be explored/debated and even have to be created.

Of course. This isn't dead by a long shot. Frankly, Id be surprised if the next census doesn't have a mixed race option.

Of course. This isn't dead by a long shot. Frankly, Id be surprised if the next census doesn't have a mixed race option.

It should've been put into place a long time ago. People have the right to identify themselves as they please. In some instances I have been marked as "white", but quite frankly I don't think I should have to choose when I'm mixed. I usually just out "other" or sometimes I'll refuse to answer the question.

Exactly. This whole one drop nonsense is part of the reason why racism is still alive and it's not just whites enforcing it but blacks and other minorities too. As far as I'm concerned President Obama is mixed. His mother is white and his father is black. It's like calling a black and white dog black when the dog is both. Completely stupid. If Obama looked like Derek Jeter then he would be able to "choose" I suppose. :)

yes, yes, this is the United Latin States of America...

I'm having a similar discussion to this, on another forum.... I'm not even Hispanic & I feel there's way too much hatred on Hispanics in general....

((ughk... don't make me bring up that, character's name either....)))

Anyway, far as the topic (title) goes, you can thank IR f***ing in general... and the ole one drop rule for that....

people are becoming more open, which is a good thing....

Nothin says that you have to stick to your race, to find a mate & procreate with....

^^ please don't misconstrue that to mean that racism is dead in this country... because we are FAR from that ever happening....

The good ole boys & the KKK will love this article, Shortline...

yes, yes, this is the United Latin States of America...

I'm having a similar discussion to this, on another forum.... I'm not even Hispanic & I feel there's way too much hatred on Hispanics in general....

((ughk... don't make me bring up that, character's name either....)))

Anyway, far as the topic (title) goes, you can thank IR f***ing in general... and the ole one drop rule for that....

people are becoming more open, which is a good thing....

Nothin says that you have to stick to your race, to find a mate & procreate with....

^^ please don't misconstrue that to mean that racism is dead in this country... because we are FAR from that ever happening....

The good ole boys & the KKK will love this article, Shortline...

Yup. I am sure David Duke and other 'good ole boys' probably just had a heart attack reading or watching this story lol.B)

Seriously B35 makes a good point. Racism and some form of hatred in America or anywhere on the planet will almost never go away sadly.:(

So, will my kids have a better shot of getting into the college they want to attend for the sake a diversity in 20 or so years from now?

probably not (unless you and future wifey get rich), but look on the bright side...maybe 20 years from now there can finally be a white people parade

The American dream is a farce and has long been dead. People come here to make money and send it back home or take it back home with them. The immigrants from generations past came here to make a better life. Now the immigrants who come here are just using and abusing the system. They come here and make the neighborhoods they live in just as bad an mirror the ghettos and shanty towns they came from.

The people who do stay are living in squander with low quality of life and are in debt. Thats not the American dream. Freedom is no longer, you have less rights and just some privelages. There are more and more laws, acts, and executive orders that restrict freedom and trample on the constitution which is a dying horse that cannot be beat anylonger to get it back up.

"It's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it" -George Carlin

probably not (unless you and future wifey get rich), but look on the bright side...maybe 20 years from now there can finally be a white people parade

Too bad, I was hoping that in 20 or 30 years, filling in White on a college application would be like filling in Native American today. And if I want to be in a white people parade, I just have to go to Howard Beach this summer for their 4th of July parade or wait till Rockaway St. Paddy's Day rolls around again.

Archived