The great Daily News race: Rockaway to Wall Street

The great Daily News race: Rockaway to Wall Street

NY Daily News

May 13th 2008

[float=right]amd_brosh.jpg[/float]The bus/subway got to Wall Street first, but the new Rockaway ferry was faster in the long run.

Two Daily News reporters raced from the Rockaways to Wall St. on mass transportation - Brendan Brosh on the new ferry service, which cost $6, and Veronika Belenkaya on the bus and subway, which cost only $2.

Travel time on the ferry, which makes a stop in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, was an hour, while it took one hour and three minutes to get to Wall St. on the Q35 bus from Riis Park and the 2 train at Flatbush Junction.

[float=right]amd_belankaya.jpg[/float]Belenkaya arrived at Wall Street first, but Brosh got a late start when the ribbon-cutting ceremony delayed the 7:45 a.m. ferry departure four minutes.

The price difference seemed more important to commuters than the three minutes.

"It's expensive," said Tania Sterl, 36, a fashion designer from Rockaway Park, Queens. "Maybe it's good one night after work for a leisurely ride, but not every day."

Of course, the land trip can't match the breathtaking views of Coney Island, the Verrazano Bridge and the Statue of Liberty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ferry route

7:41: Heavy rains and wind force politicians to hold an indoor ribbon-cutting ceremony.

7:49: The ferry, named the American Princess, departs Riis Landing four minutes after the scheduled 7:45 a.m.

8:05: We pass Coney Island's Boardwalk. "You can't beat these views," said Roger Sarmuksnis, 60, of Breezy Point, Queens.

8:20: Traveling at 23 knots, the boat goes under the Verrazano Bridge.

8:30: We pull into Sunset Park to pick up 30 more passengers. The Statue of Liberty is clearly in view.

8:44: Just passed Governors Island. "After 9/11 and the blackout, we know what it's like to be trapped in Manhattan," said Denise Koster of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

8:49: Boat arrives at Wall St. and passengers depart.

- Brendan Brosh

Bus/Subway route

7:41: The Q35 pulls up to a flooded Beach 169th St. bus stop.

7:49: We cross the Marine Parkway Bridge - not that you can see it through the fogged, rain-streaked windows.

8:05: We're at a traffic light on E. 32nd St., Brooklyn, for about a minute, cars and umbrellas all around.

8:20: Aboard the 2 train. A cheerful conductor greets his passengers: "Good morning, Brooklyn! Good morning, Brooklyn!"

8:30: We're at the Grand Army Plaza station and the train is filling up - no free seats.

8:44: The 2 train has pulled into the Wall St. station. Mission Accomplished.

8:49: I'm at a Starbucks on William and Wall Sts., waiting for Brendan.

- Veronika Belenkaya

Not bad. I can understand those who wouldn't take the ferry over the bus/subway because of the price. It does cost in the long run. If I lived in the Rockaways, I would probably take the ferry every once in a while unless I really have money.

Archived