04-06-11 Another P&W Dash-8 Photo Post

Fred G

One more post with the ex-BNSF PW and probably the last for a while. EBTMikado, another railfan, Chris, and I chased P&W train NH-1 from Middlefield to Middletown on the old NY NH &H <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_New_Haven_and_Hartford_Railroad#Air_Line[/img]Air Line Route</a[/img] and then to Rocky Hill and then back down the line to Middletown on the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_New_Haven_and_Hartford_Railroad#Connecticut_Valley[/img]CT Valley </a[/img]route. EBTMikado and I then chased back down to Wallingford on the Air Line again. Enjoy these pics, as we had perfect weather.

Caboose+at+Middlefield.jpg

We started here, at the old Middlefield station, complete with an old Erie caboose.

View+from+Pearl+St+Middletown.jpg

Middletown, about a quarter mile west of the Airline-Valley RR diamond near the CT River

Valley+RR+to+the+left+and+Airline+to+the+right.jpg

Said diamond, with P&W B39-8 on the Valley RR and the bridge over the CT river on the Airline. Sadly, the only remaining client in Portland, on the east bank, was a recycling facility whose roof collapsed in this past winter's snowfalls and is closed now.

Flagging+at+Rt+99+Cromwell.jpg

Route 99 in Cromwell has no crossing signals and must be hand flagged.

Rounding+the+bend.jpg

After having dropped off some cars in Rocky HIll, the train is returning toward Middletown with one coil car. I'll fess up - the train is heading away from me.

PW+3903+Miller+St+Middletown.jpg

Shot of B39-8 3903 returning to Middletown.

582+crossing+Coginchaug+River.jpg

After dropping off the coil car and picking up some others, train NH-1 returns to us and here crosses the Coginchaug River in Middletown.

PW+ex+BNSF+582+at+MP18+Airline.jpg

MP 18 on the Airline. The track condition is exaggerated by a zooming lens but the train does crawl through here.

Trackside+Pizza+05.jpg

Nothing like pizza after fanning.

Sweet Sir! My guess is that this doesn't go down the NEC?

BTW if you were posting an IMG in your para, its not showing.

No, this one comes up from New Haven over Wallingford, Middlefield and Middletown via the old NHRR "Air Line" route.

Sorry, I just used the same posting from subchat and didn't edit out those links. I slack.:P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived