Bleeker Street Reconstruction

Does anybody know when the Bleeker Street Reconstruction (and the transfer between the IND Sixth Avenue Line and northbound (6)<6>) project is slated to be completed?

On a side note, I might be attending a summer program near the Astor Place station on the (6), and I'm trying to decide between these 2 options:

S93 to 86th Street for the (R) to 59th Street for the (N) to 8th Street/NYU

S92 to St. George for the ferry to Whitehall Street for the (R) to 8th Street/NYU.

I checked on Google Transit and it says that the first method takes roughly 10 minutes longer than the second method, but I would probably consider it a more reliable option.

If this transfer is going to open by this summer, it will almost definitely make me choose the 1st method, especially since I would also have the option of transferring to the (D) at 36th Street and then taking the northbound (6) for one stop.

Does anybody know when the Bleeker Street Reconstruction (and the transfer between the IND Sixth Avenue Line and northbound (6)<6>) project is slated to be completed?

On a side note, I might be attending a summer program near the Astor Place station on the (6), and I'm trying to decide between these 2 options:

S92 to St. George for the ferry to Whitehall Street for the (R) to 8th Street/NYU.

I checked on Google Transit and it says that the first method takes roughly 10 minutes longer than the second method, but I would probably consider it a more reliable option.

If this transfer is going to open by this summer, it will almost definitely make me choose the 1st method, especially since I would also have the option of transferring to the (D) at 36th Street and then taking the northbound (6) for one stop.

on that first option, why not just stay on the (R)?

Honestly, for the first option, just stay on the (R) and don't bother transferring to the (N), even if you have to leave a bit extra time.

I've had to be in the Wash Square area in past summers and experimented with a bunch of different routes. I found that staying on one train as long as possible is much easier and less of a pain, especially if it as oppressively hot as last summer was.

Honestly, for the first option, just stay on the (R) and don't bother transferring to the (N), even if you have to leave a bit extra time.

I've had to be in the Wash Square area in past summers and experimented with a bunch of different routes. I found that staying on one train as long as possible is much easier and less of a pain, especially if it as oppressively hot as last summer was.

You clearly have no idea how much time the (N) saves you as opposed to the very slow (R) train. Besides the transfer at 59th st. is right across the platform so there isn't much work involved.

I'm assuming the X17C to Rector street, walk up the block to the (4) or (5) Wall St station and take either of those to Brooklyn Bridge, with a quick transfer to the (6) to Astor is out huh?? :P

If so then you could also do this... (S93) to (R) to the (N) to Canal and get off and wait for a (Q) which runs pretty frequently to 8th st. :P

I'm assuming the X17C to Rector street, walk up the block to the (4) or (5) Wall St station and take either of those to Brooklyn Bridge, with a quick transfer to the (6) to Astor is out huh?? :P

Is so then I'd do then you could also do this... (S93) to (R) to the (N) to Canal and get off and wait for a (Q) which runs pretty frequently to 8th st. :P

Or you can just take the ferry to Whitehall St and taje the (R) from there without going through brooklyn

Or you can just take the ferry to Whitehall St and taje the (R) from there without going through brooklyn

The point is that going through Brooklyn may be quicker than taking the bus to the ferry to the subway. The ferry takes a good 30 minutes, sometimes more, so if he times things right it may be quicker for him going via Brooklyn, especially with the (S93). He'd have to make a few transfers, but that's no biggie since that involves stepping off of one train and onto another. He would have to walk a bit further though doing the bus-ferry-subway combo, plus he would have the same amount of transfers if not more going that way.

What I would do personally is skip all of that transferring BS and I'd take the X17 and just walk over from 6th and West 8th street, this way you cut out all of the stupid transfers, which add up in terms of commuting time. That's why most folks think it is such a pain in the @ss to get to Staten Island because it isn't the commute that is so long, but all of the transfers. If there isn't traffic I can get from my neighbourhood to Midtown in 45-50 minutes and be in my office in an hour. When I've had to go to NYU, I've taken the X1 or X10 to 6th and West 4th and I've walked from there since the NYU location I was going to was in the same vicinity where he's going. Pick up a nice ice coffee from one of my Belgian spots and it was a nice walk. :cool:

The thing is I doubt he wants to spend the extra for the express bus, but it is either spend more money for a more relaxing ride, or make a thousand transfers for $2.25. He's young so he can still do that. Me I did that crap enough and I'm getting too old to deal with that so my ferry days are over.

Well, via, when he crosses that bridge, I'm sure he'll feel the same way you do...

-----------------------------

Anyway, Checkmate.....

Looking at your options, to me, this is a no-brainer....

Take... The... (N)

Only Brooklynites that commute using the (R) along 4th av, into Manhattan, are those that work/go to school south of Canal st..... or have TTK (time to kill)... Everyone else, you will see transferring to the (N)...

...with good reason.

In the morning, the (R) has a tendency to meet up w/ the (N) at 36th (so it's not like you'll have to worry about xferring @ the headache that is Pacific st).... but since you're comin from SI, you're better off xferring @ 59th (if you want a better chance at a seat... lol)

coming back though, I would take the (R), if you're in no rush to get home.... your chances of getting a seat are much greater, esp. towards the back of the train.... taking the (N) from Manhattan, especially lower manhattan, you WILL be standing....

Well, when he crosses that bridge, I'm sure he'll feel the same way you do...

--------------

Anyway, Checkmate.....

Take... The... (N)

Only Brooklynites that commute using the (R) along 4th av, into Manhattan, are those that work/go to school south of Canal st..... or have TTK (time to kill)... Everyone else, you will see transferring to the (N)...

...with good reason.

I'm telling you that whole running from the bus (usually literally) to catch the ferry and then busting your @ss to the subway was "fun" for a while. I would get a rush actually. Now if I had to go that route after working 8+ hours in the office, I would be extremely cranky. Truth be told I would sometimes take the (N) down to Bay Ridge to the (R). If they just linked up the (R) with the (N) it would be a really quick commute to Staten Island from the city because the (N) gets to 59th st in Brooklyn in no time. The thing is there are far more (N) trains than there are (R) trains so you can wait a good 15 minutes or more for an (R) train after switching from the (N).

If its the summer and you want to have a calm commute, and it was me, I would still stick to te (R). I've taken it through Brooklyn in the summer to get to wash square area, and it wss not as bad as you guys are making it seem. Yes, it was definitely slower, but this way I got a seat just about every single day, and it was much more relaxed. Since it was the summer, I did not mind leaving early- I had nothing else to do, lol. so I still suggest the (R).

If its the summer and you want to have a calm commute, and it was me, I would still stick to te (R). I've taken it through Brooklyn in the summer to get to wash square area, and it wss not as bad as you guys are making it seem. Yes, it was definitely slower, but this way I got a seat just about every single day, and it was much more relaxed. Since it was the summer, I did not mind leaving early- I had nothing else to do, lol. so I still suggest the (R).

I could see checkmate now on the (R) losing his mind. That dude is always in a rush. :P

I'm telling you that whole running from the bus (usually literally) to catch the ferry and then busting your @ss to the subway was "fun" for a while. I would get a rush actually. Now if I had to go that route after working 8+ hours in the office, I would be extremely cranky. Truth be told I would sometimes take the (N) down to Bay Ridge to the (R). If they just linked up the (R) with the (N) it would be a really quick commute to Staten Island from the city because the (N) gets to 59th st in Brooklyn in no time. The thing is there are far more (N) trains than there are (R) trains so you can wait a good 15 minutes or more for an (R) train after switching from the (N).

Oh, you don't have to tell me the frequency of (N)'s to ®'s....

Seeing 2 N's arrive before an R is very common....

Look at what you're sayin though....

Coming from SI, do you know how much earlier than "normal" Checkmate would have to leave to have as much time on his hands, as you did when you made that commute....

Oh, you don't have to tell me the frequency of (N)'s to ®'s....

Seeing 2 N's arrive before an R is very common....

You know something though, it wasn't always like that. I still remember when the (N) wasn't all that frequent as it is now. This was back in say 2004 or so and it got low marks and then the (MTA) decided to add more service and started using newer cars on the line and now the line is as good if not better as the (Q) line.

You know something though, it wasn't always like that. I still remember when the (N) wasn't all that frequent as it is now. This was back in say 2004 or so and it got low marks and then the (MTA) decided to add more service and started using newer cars on the line and now the line is as good if not better as the (Q) line.

Yes, I remember when the ratio of N's to R's was about 1:1; when both of those lines were unreliable.... it was around the time when the (D) ran along the Brighton & the (:P ran along the West End....

The addition of the old (W) didn't do the (R) any justice either....

Throughout the (mid)day, I'd say service on both lines are equally decent...

but:

- after around say, 9pm or so, the Q got the N beat.... N tends to go M.I.A. (same w/ the (2), but that's another can of worms)

- around the early morning rush, I'd say the N got the Q beat... Q service b/w 5-7 am is so-so... N's little more reliable....

on that first option, why not just stay on the (R)?

The (N) is express down 4th Avenue and bypasses Lower Manhattan (though, when I lived in Brighton Beach, the (B) and (Q) always crawled when they went over the bridge, but they were still faster than the (R) )

If so then you could also do this... S93 to (R) to the (N) to Canal and get off and wait for a (Q) which runs pretty frequently to 8th st. :P

They give me a free Student MetroCard to attend the program, and that isn't valid on express buses (I might consider using the express bus if the Student MetroCard gave me a $2.25 credit towards the express bus ride, so I would only pay $3.25)

The (Q) is the Broadway Express and skips 8th Street, while the (N) is local, so I wouldn't save any time by making that transfer.

By the way, during rush hours, the X17C doesn't run, so if I did take the express bus, it would be the X10B or X17A (or possibly the X12).

I know. That was one of the options I was considering.

The point is that going through Brooklyn may be quicker than taking the bus to the ferry to the subway. The ferry takes a good 30 minutes, sometimes more, so if he times things right it may be quicker for him going via Brooklyn, especially with the S93. He'd have to make a few transfers, but that's no biggie since that involves stepping off of one train and onto another. He would have to walk a bit further though doing the bus-ferry-subway combo, plus he would have the same amount of transfers if not more going that way.

What I would do personally is skip all of that transferring BS and I'd take the X17 and just walk over from 6th and West 8th street, this way you cut out all of the stupid transfers, which add up in terms of commuting time. That's why most folks think it is such a pain in the @ss to get to Staten Island because it isn't the commute that is so long, but all of the transfers. If there isn't traffic I can get from my neighbourhood to Midtown in 45-50 minutes and be in my office in an hour. When I've had to go to NYU, I've taken the X1 or X10 to 6th and West 4th and I've walked from there since the NYU location I was going to was in the same vicinity where he's going. Pick up a nice ice coffee from one of my Belgian spots and it was a nice walk. :cool:

The thing is I doubt he wants to spend the extra for the express bus, but it is either spend more money for a more relaxing ride, or make a thousand transfers for $2.25. He's young so he can still do that. Me I did that crap enough and I'm getting too old to deal with that so my ferry days are over.

It is only for this summer (and not even the full summer, just the first 6 weeks), so I'll be able to handle it.

Now, if it were a job, and the price difference was only the difference between the local and express fare, I'd almost definitely take the express bus and buy the Unlimited MetroCard. If I decide to go to college in Manhattan full-time, I'd probably also take the express bus. (I'm considering Cooper Union and City College, as they're CUNY colleges and have a cheap in-state tuition, and might even pay me to attend the school because of the excellent grades I have)

Well, via, when he crosses that bridge, I'm sure he'll feel the same way you do...

-----------------------------

Anyway, Checkmate.....

Take... The... (N)

...with good reason.

In the morning, the (R) has a tendency to meet up w/ the (N) at 36th (so it's not like you'll have to worry about xferring @ the headache that is Pacific st).... but since you're comin from SI, you're better off xferring @ 59th (if you want a better chance at a seat... lol)

coming back though, I would take the (R), if you're in no rush to get home.... your chances of getting a seat are much greater, esp. towards the back of the train.... taking the (N) from Manhattan, especially lower manhattan, you WILL be standing....

The expressaholic in me was telling me to get of the (R) as soon as possible. ;)

Going back, I'm not sure what I'll do. If I do decide to go to Brooklyn, I'll probably be taking the (N) to the (R) if I'm not too tired. If I am tired, I'll probably be taking the (R) straight to Bay Ridge.

Then again, in the afternoon, the S93 runs every 30 minutes, whereas the ferry runs every 15 minutes, so I might decide to just take the (R) to the ferry.

Archived