Idea for Superliner III cars - personal televisions (satellite TV and on-demand movies)

ABQ RIDE

As we should know, Amtrak plans on replacing about 65% of the Superliner I fleet with the upcoming Superliner III.

With all the modern technology available, I think one thing Amtrak should consider for the Superliner III cars is personal televisions with on-demand movies and satellite TV, kind of like on some airlines such as Delta and JetBlue. I really think this would attract many people who want to save money by using Amtrak instead of flying.

The Superliners serve the longest routes in the Amtrak system, and I think having some form of personal video entertainment would be nice.

What does anyone think about this?

Well, I sway towards no on this, because not only is it costly but because so many passengers provide for their own entertainment with portable DVD's and cell phone broadcasts. When the Viewliners had them they'd be left on with no one in the room and not everyone wanted this amenity.

But if enough people do want it (we'd have to find out how), the screen and associated equipment must be flush into one of the walls. The protrusion created in the Viewliner design caused obstructions in an already crowded space, and so it left itself vulnerable to breakage or in some cases, malicious vandalism.

Well, I sway towards no on this, because not only is it costly but because so many passengers provide for their own entertainment with portable DVD's and cell phone broadcasts. When the Viewliners had them they'd be left on with no one in the room and not everyone wanted this amenity.

But if enough people do want it (we'd have to find out how), the screen and associated equipment must be flush into one of the walls. The protrusion created in the Viewliner design caused obstructions in an already crowded space, and so it left itself vulnerable to breakage or in some cases, malicious vandalism.

Well, more and more people seem to want it on airlines, and the Superliners serve the longest routes in the Amtrak system. Onboard entertainment would be something that could attract more passengers, especially to be more competitive with low-cost airlines such as Southwest or JetBlue.

If video isn't an option, perhaps an alternative would be in-seat Sirius XM satellite radio, as well as Wi-Fi.

The Superliner Sightseer Lounge cars used to have a few TV's that would show taped movies. And Amtrak tried letting a concession rent out dvd players with movies on some of the other trains, but that service did not make it. Some kind of entertainment would be nice, if it could be provided at low cost, and be relatively reliable and low maintenance.

And sevice via a satellite dish is often difficult to maintain on a moving vehicle. Wifi hot spots would be handy wherever there is 3G or 4G coverage available.

In Japan & mainland Europe & Russia they have tv's in the medium distance and long distance trains, even in coach. You should be able to get a tv in a sleeper car, free wifi, and mabey even exterior train view camera feeds for those interested in seeing more than what's out the window.

- A

Archived