Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
DHeese810

R46 Question

I keep seeing pics of old 46's and their couplers have weird computer like things on the side of them. Any idea what they were for?

-Thanks

Dan

P.S. this is what i'm talking about

img_70651.jpg

Those were the electrical posrtions. After GOH, they were moved to the underside of the coupler. The original ones has more pins, thus largers sized because of the complex electrical equipment.

Those were the electrical posrtions. After GOH, they were moved to the underside of the coupler. The original ones has more pins, thus largers sized because of the complex electrical equipment.

like the automatic motorized rollsign things that never worked right?

like the automatic motorized rollsign things that never worked right?

Yes, but that did work. It was the M1s on the LIRR that had alot of problems with it.

What do you mean by this?

I think it means that the rollsigns were controlled from the T/O's cab instead of being turned by hand.

The biggest problems with those couplers was the opening of the p wire circuit on curves which caused full application of the brake and caused the train to become stuck.

I think it means that the rollsigns were controlled from the T/O's cab instead of being turned by hand.

Ohh i was thinking that, but didnt know for sure...that would have made their jobs ALOT easier lol.

the R44s and R46s used a very early computer system that let them choose the route they were running and it would adjust the rollsigns accordingly. This is why they were able to get the LCD side signs whilst newer R62s and R68s dont have them.

Also, the electric portions are now covered with a shutter to keep them clean, unlike in the "then" pic shown.

Also, the electric portions are now covered with a shutter to keep them clean, unlike in the "then" pic shown.

That to and the shutter is part of the door indication circuit too. Since you operated them pre-GOH, did they have alot of problems with dirt and grim when you made adds? It seems odd that they didn't have covers on them originally.