MTA Bus vs New York City Transit

Via Garibaldi 8

I'll give you some examples... On the BM3, they are very good about NOT coming early, and I mean never, especially on Saturday. You never have to worry about them coming early. They will come a few minutes later so that they make sure that they pick up everyone. The X10 meanwhile, they can give two f*cks about what time they come. If they're early oh well. Catch the next one.

Going back to Midtown on the BM3, the B/Os just about always ask where everyone is going so that he can speed up our commute and usually we are all going to Midtown, so he will bypass Downtown completely. They also generally greet you when you get on and exit. Tonight I actually thanked the B/O because he got us to 23rd and Park in about 45 minutes and he wished me a good night. I'm not saying that they're aren't rude ones because they do exist, but less so when compared to the NYCT B/Os.

Note: I have not been on a NYCT Express bus in some time, so this is a little skewed.

From what Ive seen, a lot of the MTA Bus express drivers were there when they were PBLs. So more likely than not, the average MTA Bus driver is still adept to the PBL culture more than the NYCT culture (where if youre not there five minutes before the bus comes then youre waiting an hour). This isn't to disparage NYCT express drivers (whom from what I can say are generally as chill), but past 'garage culture' does play a significant role in it.

Imo, all drivers SHOULD put on a postitive attitude towards their passengers. BUT some don't...

IMO all passengers SHOULD put on a positive attitude towards the guy that has their life in his/her hands. It works both ways bro.

My main MTA Bus experiences are only with the (B103) and the QBx1/Bx23/Q50

Dem Orion Vs man :tup:

They're old but sometimes I think they can outperform the MTA NYCT buses...

I see dirty buses sometimes, or late buses.... But I guess should ride more MTA Bus Buses to make a fare comparison...

I'm surprise how clean SC Orion V cng interior is after I rode one couple weeks ago on the 103....I would've though the customers on 103 and 100 line would've have a field day with them....It's too bad WF Orion V cng are a different story after I rode it on the BX 31 the other day.....never again.

Well that they did, but the local fleet at College Point was left out in the cold. Throughout this whole takeover, they were the only ones without new local buses until this year.

That is true. Unfortunately for CP, they are among the handful of CNG facilities [with LGA's facilities shut down], by default those CNG buses had to stay there. Not many places those buses could be moved to, but they probably should've gotten the hybrids that SC got and SC take on more of the ex-TBC buses.

(MTA) Bus has been shafted in terms of having their fleet replaced. The only thing they've been decently served with have been MCIs for express bus service, but the local bus fleet that they have is quite bad in some instances. They're still using buses from back when (MTA) Bus took over and those buses were pretty old then.

Other than the O7 hybrids, which were brand new when delievered as well as the O7 NGs, yes MTA bus in general has been given hand-me-downs from NYCT and Bee lines.

IIRC* [could be wrong, but based from what I've read]: you could also put the blame on depots trying to keep an 'average fleet age'. This means you have old buses to blance out the new buses. So in a way those new buses may have been both a blessing and a curse.

I think once MTAB and NYCT are merged, it'll be a whole new ball game....I wouldn't be surprised if CS took the express runs from LGA and swapped with the Q48...

I can see SC losing both their locals to UP or FLA and becoming strictly Express depot, maybe stealing an Express route or two from UP.

ECH will probably go back to all Express and pass the Bx23 to GH and the Q50 to either CS or GH .....YON may take on some locals to help KB....Hell KB may decide they want some express runs....But I think the BX depots will remain YON and ECH for express

CS and CP will swap routes to lessen deadheads...I could see BP loosing the Q110 to QV and picking up something to take load of JAM...

Once everything is NYCT, its a guarantee there will be ALOT of moving and a shakin' going on....

He means that NYC Transit gets all the new equipment while MTA Bus gets all the hand-me-downs. MTA Bus is only getting a tiny portion of the current C40LFR order while West Farms Depot and Jackie Gleason gets the bulk, West Farms getting more than all of them depots. Also when it comes to regulations and such, MTA Bus is much tighter while Transit, you have some leeway.

So they're not the same thing? But if they're both under the MTA logo, why don't they just become the same thing. The buses all run in New York City anyway, including the MTA buses, so why is there a difference?

That is true. Unfortunately for CP, they are among the handful of CNG facilities [with LGA's facilities shut down], by default those CNG buses had to stay there. Not many places those buses could be moved to, but they probably should've gotten the hybrids that SC got and SC take on more of the ex-TBC buses.

Other than the O7 hybrids, which were brand new when delievered as well as the O7 NGs, yes MTA bus in general has been given hand-me-downs from NYCT and Bee lines.

IIRC* [could be wrong, but based from what I've read]: you could also put the blame on depots trying to keep an 'average fleet age'. This means you have old buses to blance out the new buses. So in a way those new buses may have been both a blessing and a curse.

Some of JGs C40LFs and the Orion 7CNGs all over the city could have easily been switched to CP to help with demand. The depot could have also gotten some Hybrids.

Some of JGs C40LFs and the Orion 7CNGs all over the city could have easily been switched to CP to help with demand. The depot could have also gotten some Hybrids.

I would and wouldnt agree to CP but not from a typical busfan's point of view. During the daytime, some of those low floors can't take the massive crowding especially on routes like the Q25/34/50/65 and 66 at the Flushing corridor. When the Q19 was out of LGA, some of those low floors would've bottomed out. A small amount of hybrids during the day with more running during the night would do some good, but knowing some of those CP drivers, they'd take something else over an Orion VII.

I would and wouldnt agree to CP but not from a typical busfan's point of view. During the daytime, some of those low floors can't take the massive crowding especially on routes like the Q25/34/50/65 and 66 at the Flushing corridor. When the Q19 was out of LGA, some of those low floors would've bottomed out. A small amount of hybrids during the day with more running during the night would do some good, but knowing some of those CP drivers, they'd take something else over an Orion VII.

I don'y know if I agree with that the C40LF is a much better build quality than that of the OG's and the OG operate on some of the highest ridership routes in Qns....Q6, Q8, Q44, Q111-113 just to name a few.

I don'y know if I agree with that the C40LF is a much better build quality than that of the OG's and the OG operate on some of the highest ridership routes in Qns....Q6, Q8, Q44, Q111-113 just to name a few.

The C40LF is a very durable bus, I ride em 5 days a week on the B8. Love em! They ride very smooth and shockingly are not rattle traps when they go over potholes, although for some weird reason the engine area rattles when the bus is slowing down though.

Gleason has its fair share of heavy hitters, B8, B11, B35..B68..

I will admit, there kinda sluggish when the A/C is on (Then again, what bus is NOT sluggish when the A/C is on..?) but otherwise those buses move like a bat outta hell!

j5xkx2.jpg

The C40LF is a very durable bus, I ride em 5 days a week on the B8. Love em! They ride very smooth and shockingly are not rattle traps when they go over potholes, although for some weird reason the engine area rattles when the bus is slowing down though.

Gleason has its fair share of heavy hitters, B8, B11, B35..B68..

I will admit, there kinda sluggish when the A/C is on (Then again, what bus is NOT sluggish when the A/C is on..?) but otherwise those buses move like a bat outta hell!

j5xkx2.jpg

They might move like bats out of hell, but their main issue is the interiors. The Orion VII CNGs got a much better arranged interior compared to the C40LF. They can move fast but standing room is virtually non-existant on those buses

I can tell you firsthand since I used to live in Queens, I used to take the Q6/8/9/41 and 112. The buses dont last very long on the Q8 or Q41, they might make a good amount of trips but at times, you'll see a broken down bus along the route. Maintenance plays an important role as to how they carry passengers and JFK's maintenance is 50/50

So they're not the same thing? But if they're both under the MTA logo, why don't they just become the same thing. The buses all run in New York City anyway, including the MTA buses, so why is there a difference?

In terms of who drives for what, I think MTA Bus drivers and such are ATU, while NYC Transit is TWU (Not completely sure about this so dont quote me on it).

Management on both sides are relatively different. The way buses are handled, how runs are set and such are somewhat different from one another. There is more to this than meets the eye and I hope someone can explain the differences.

The NG CNGs on LI actually do pretty well even with the A/C off. The Orion V might make this cool sound with the A/C on when moving, but it does suffer a bit of power loss...

Different engines = different effects on each bus.

The NG CNGs on LI actually do pretty well even with the A/C off. The Orion V might make this cool sound with the A/C on when moving, but it does suffer a bit of power loss...

The C40LF makes a cool sound as well with the A/C, sounds really hardcore, same with the NG hybrids even though they use a different engine. Two examples....

The C40LF makes a cool sound as well with the A/C, sounds really hardcore, same with the NG hybrids even though they use a different engine. Two examples....

Most diesels make that similar sound. Though imo, it sounds the best on the artics and on the Orion V Diesels

In terms of who drives for what, I think MTA Bus drivers and such are ATU, while NYC Transit is TWU (Not completely sure about this so dont quote me on it).

MTA Bus JFK Far Rockaway ATU1179

MTA Bus Spring Creek ATU1181

All other MTA Bus TWU 100

NYCT Queens ATU1056

NYCT Staten Island ATU726

All other TWU 100

My take on NYCT vs. MTA Bus is in regards to how drivers operate some of their buses. I'm usually in West Farms Country where drivers are a little more on the careful side. Unfortunately, that also means barely running any red lights and driving a little more slowly. However, MTA Bus (especially in ex-Triboro and ex-Queens Surface country), they're not afraid to drive fast or beat a light, which is why I'm such a fan of routes like the Q45 and Q38.

My take on NYCT vs. MTA Bus is in regards to how drivers operate some of their buses. I'm usually in West Farms Country where drivers are a little more on the careful side. Unfortunately, that also means barely running any red lights and driving a little more slowly. However, MTA Bus (especially in ex-Triboro and ex-Queens Surface country), they're not afraid to drive fast or beat a light, which is why I'm such a fan of routes like the Q45 and Q38.

We just got balls (QSC Op here)

A unified Regional Bus means streamlining of management, operations and less people to pay. Therefore, it can't happen.

Management and operations are already streamlined. Contractual, legal, and union issues are the only things separating the two. MTA Bus is run the same way NYCT is for the most part. They will be one after the above issues are ironed out.

Can't Taking Care Of Children Have No Time To Waste

We Understand....

Go Take Care Of Yourself.

Not for nothin... but I also find that to be the case... MTA Bus drivers are more aggressive.... :tup:

But they do so in a safe manner though, as oxymoronic as that may sound....

Archived