Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Gorgor

Next Bus Please

I haven't seen this for years, but something just triggered a memory about them.

I was always curious about these regular buses, not articulated ones, that had passengers in it, said "Next Bus Please" on the top, and would be traveling west on 72nd, 79th, and 86th streets (maybe other crosstown streets as well, I just never went around them) during the morning rush. They would always have passengers in them, and they wouldn't make any stops besides at Lexington Avenue on the east side. I'm not sure about on the west side though.

What exactly were they? This was like 5-10 years ago about.

It also happens on short turn trip on Avenue buses as well like during Puerto Rican Day, either some M1-M5 could end 59th and 42nd Sts. As it approach near it's destination, they change to that sign.

It also happens lot at LGA Airport.

IIRC, "NEXT BUS PLEASE" is used if a bus is running late and only make drop-offs until a certain point of the line to make up for lost time. The bus behind will pick up the passengers that the bus in front was incapable of doing.

Hope this helps out a bit.

IIRC, "NEXT BUS PLEASE" is used if a bus is running late and only make drop-offs until a certain point of the line to make up for lost time. The bus behind will pick up the passengers that the bus in front was incapable of doing.

Hope this helps out a bit.

Yeah, except on the M79 and M86 they only run articulated buses. The buses that said "Next Bus Please" would always be the regular non-articulated ones. So I don't think it really had anything to do with buses running late.

Here in Queen, JFK runs a Q37 from Rockaway & 98st. It's sign is signed up as either Not In Service Or Next Bus Please. So Next Bus Please can also be for school trips.

You'd think the "NEXT BUS PLEASE" would tend to mean that, the bus that the signage is displayed on is so packed, that would be the b/o's way of relaying to waiting pax. at a given stop to... well, take the next bus... lol...

but of course, that's moot b/c people don't pay much attention to the destination sign anyway...

but from my findings, I see that the NOT IN SERVICE & NEXT BUS PLEASE are used interchangably, when there aren't any pax on the bus.... for w/e the reason(s)....

Hawk Operator is correct.

I've noticed that, when I lived in Brooklyn, deadheading buses would use the "Next Bus Please" sign more often than the "Not in Service" sign. In Staten Island, I can't even recall when the last time I saw "Next Bus Please" on a deadheading bus.

I've seen that "Next Bus Please" sign on the S46/S96 too many times. I've always said to myself: "If any door opens, I'm getting on unless I can see another bus behind this one".

I don't care if I have to push to hold on: I always find room.

A couple of days ago, I was on the S94, and the sign said "S94: St. George/Ferry/Next Bus Please", and it was a few stops before anybody said anything to the driver. I thought he was putting it up in case he got crowded near St. George, but it turned out that he just entered the wrong code.

Yeah, I know that if a bus is really crowded or behind schedule the driver will put it on to make it easier, but what I'm talking about it different. The M79/M86 always has articulated buses, but the "Next Bus Please" buses were the regular non-articulated ones. I never saw them make any stops at York, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, yet they already had tons of people on it. Once if I recall correctly I saw one coming uptown on York and it made a left on either 79th or 86th (I forget which one), and continued West.

Hawk Operator is correct.

I've noticed that, when I lived in Brooklyn, deadheading buses would use the "Next Bus Please" sign more often than the "Not in Service" sign. In Staten Island, I can't even recall when the last time I saw "Next Bus Please" on a deadheading bus.

I've seen that "Next Bus Please" sign on the S46/S96 too many times. I've always said to myself: "If any door opens, I'm getting on unless I can see another bus behind this one".

I don't care if I have to push to hold on: I always find room.

A couple of days ago, I was on the S94, and the sign said "S94: St. George/Ferry/Next Bus Please", and it was a few stops before anybody said anything to the driver. I thought he was putting it up in case he got crowded near St. George, but it turned out that he just entered the wrong code.

No he didn't enter the wrong code, it's possible to have the route number and destination display on the sign followed by "Next Bus Please". There's a way to have that done when entering the codes in the drivers' compartment...for teh S94 Limited they punch in the appropriate code for the route, and they punch in the code for Next Bus Please and both can display. I don't know the exact sequence as to how they imtermix codes but it is possible.

No he didn't enter the wrong code, it's possible to have the route number and destination display on the sign followed by "Next Bus Please". There's a way to have that done when entering the codes in the drivers' compartment...for teh S94 Limited they punch in the appropriate code for the route, and they punch in the code for Next Bus Please and both can display. I don't know the exact sequence as to how they imtermix codes but it is possible.

Assuming that the (MTA) does the same think like CTTransit and RIPTA then it's a P/R code. You can put in the normal destination sign code then plug in a P/R code and everything will come up.

So you would see:

S94 LIMITED//ST GEORGE FERRY//NEXT BUS PLEASE

I've seen:NOT IN SERVICE//NEXT BUS PLEASE, not like it matters because people don't read signs and still chase down the buses!

Assuming that the (MTA) does the same think like CTTransit and RIPTA then it's a P/R code. You can put in the normal destination sign code then plug in a P/R code and everything will come up.

So you would see:

S94 LIMITED//ST GEORGE FERRY//NEXT BUS PLEASE

I've seen:NOT IN SERVICE//NEXT BUS PLEASE, not like it matters because people don't read signs and still chase down the buses!

I've never chased down a "Not in Service" bus, but I do stick my arm up to try to flag them down. Sometimes the sign is stuck on "Not in Service", and the bus is really operating the normal route.

Like I said, I never pay attention to "Next Bus Please" signs. If it is going to my destination, I'm taking it.

On Express routes, NExt Bus Please is often put up on the destination sign when there are no more seats on the MCI, since they B/O is not supposed to let on standees on MCI's, and then the bus just shoots off to the next borough without stopping.

Do you have a source to back that up? There are lots of express buses I've seen with standees (especially off-peak, when I doubt anybody wants to wait 30 minutes for the next bus)

On Express routes, NExt Bus Please is often put up on the destination sign when there are no more seats on the MCI, since they B/O is not supposed to let on standees on MCI's, and then the bus just shoots off to the next borough without stopping.

that's not entirely true....

they sometimes put the NEXT BUS PLEASE on express buses when there are no more room for standees.... it's not a common/often type of thing....

sometimes, waiting around Battery place, I see the SI expresses (most likely x1's if you ask me) have the next bus please, displayed.....

The MTA does not want any standees on MCIs. If you check out the technical data, the capacity is 57 people which is exactly the number of seats. I take it B/Os violate this rule all the time, but technically the express bus is not supposed to have any standees.

taking your word for it that it is an actual rule...

do they ever...

as long as ppl. stand behind the white line, b/o's will let standees on...

Even if it's on the BM3/4 from battery/washington to mcdonald/caton (last manhattan, first brooklyn outbound stop, respectively), I refuse to be a standee on any MCI's anymore.... did it once on the x28 when it was pouring rain, and on the x17c one saturday evening.... after that, never again....

hate the fact that you have to get off the bus as a standee... so seated pax. can get off @ their stop...

NYCT express buses are not exempt from taking standees.

Sorry- are you saying that NYCT EXP buses are allowed to have standees or not allowed to?

My experience is with MTA BUS express routes, which say "0 standees" on ths side, and sometimes when the checkers come out to see how many people are on each bus, they actually have yelled at B/O's for letting on standees on occasion.

The MTA does not want any standees on MCIs. If you check out the technical data, the capacity is 57 people which is exactly the number of seats. I take it B/Os violate this rule all the time, but technically the express bus is not supposed to have any standees.

If the bus service here on Staten Island matched the high ridership and the next bus wasn't 30 minutes or an hour away, there wouldn't be any standees riding the entire way over I-278 but that's not the case! You need to see the bus stop at Fingerboard Road & Narrows Road at 6 or 7am in the morning and you'll be amazed by how many standees there on all the buses. I actually didn't know that was a rule now until you mentioned it!

Sorry- are you saying that NYCT EXP buses are allowed to have standees or not allowed to?

My experience is with MTA BUS express routes, which say "0 standees" on ths side, and sometimes when the checkers come out to see how many people are on each bus, they actually have yelled at B/O's for letting on standees on occasion.

Standees are allowed on NYCT Express buses.

Good to know, Roadpilot. Thanks. I guess that's cheaper for the MTA NYCT than buying enough buses so everyone actually has a seat. I wonder why MTA Bus is different. I've certainly seen the policy enforced on MTA Bus EXP routes numerous times.

that's not entirely true....

they sometimes put the NEXT BUS PLEASE on express buses when there are no more room for standees.... it's not a common/often type of thing....

sometimes, waiting around Battery place, I see the SI expresses (most likely x1's if you ask me) have the next bus please, displayed.....

During rush hours, they are probably X1s, but off-peak, it is more likely X17s, since they run less frequently and the alternatives to the areas it serves are harder than alternatives to the areas the X1 serves (at least on the X1, you can take the (R) to the S79, or take the ferry and S78 or SIR, but that isn't as easy for X17 riders).

So MTA Buses can't take standees, but NYCT buses can. Correct?

If the bus service here on Staten Island matched the high ridership and the next bus wasn't 30 minutes or an hour away, there wouldn't be any standees riding the entire way over I-278 but that's not the case! You need to see the bus stop at Fingerboard Road & Narrows Road at 6 or 7am in the morning and you'll be amazed by how many standees there on all the buses. I actually didn't know that was a rule now until you mentioned it!

Since Staten Island buses are run by NYCT, they are exempt from the rule against standees.

Checkers have no business yelling at anyone, additionally there is no NYCT/MABSTOA/MTA BUS/LIB written or unwritten policy that I am aware of that forbids standees.