Sneak-Sleep: TA station agent caught asleep at "F" line 18th Avenue station in Brooklyn

Shortline Bus

Isn't this type of story old news already? I mean everyone slacks off at their job. But when ever it's a TA employee specifically a station agent it makes front page news?. I'm not making an excuse for this guy, but when I've worked nights I would literally see people walk in my station at night and keep looking in the booth to see if I was gonna fall asleep. I feel people that waste their time snapping photos of people sleeping and selling it to the papers are just jealous scum bags that wish they made the money we make. All of these stupid stories come out every time we get a contract raise, and the S/A is always the scape goat cause we're usually the first TA employee the public can see.

It keeps getting rehashed because the (MTA) keeps threatening to layoff station booth clerks, and the union keeps arguing that they are the eyes and ears of the system. Lets face it... It is hard to be the eyes and ears of the system if you are sleeping, so the story would go away if the unions stopped arguing that because this example basically defuncts that whole argument.

Like I said, sure everyone makes mistakes and I don't necessarily agree with the guy getting snitched on, but this is what happens when they keep getting put it in the spotlight. They (the union) would be better off coming up with another reason as to why they are needed.

Perhaps what the union and (MTA) should do is to find a way to make them more useful, this way the idea of eliminating them wouldn't keep coming up and they wouldn't be so bored and as a result falling asleep. I mean you can't really expect people not to fall asleep at that time of night when they have nothing to do in the booth for the most part.

Oh give the guy a break.Im sure any of us would be that tired at that time during work too.Its the (MTA) fault for their cutbacks.As far as the cameraphone goes,Its a gift and a curse.Yes It has stopped many crimes,but at the same token it humiliated people on various sites.If I was the camera phone photographer,I would have just tapped on the window and as hows your night going and kept it moving.If you are going to use your cam phone,use it for a back up camera,family functions or even nude pics of yourself( Please dont post that on the internets) and keep it moving

Class dismissed.

I don't see what they would've done either. The guy could've gotten pissed off for being woken up out of his nap, or he could've just went back to sleep anyway. As a rider, I can understand why the person did what they did even though I probably wouldn't have. The (MTA) is crying that they don't have money and have to raise fares, but yet they have token booth clerks earning $28.00 an hour that are basically being paid to sleep. That's why there is such outrage and the passengers are being asked to pay more. In a way it is a slap in the face to the riding public.

You do need agents at mega stations like Times sq/Port Authority, Penn Station, Union Sq and Jackson Heights/74th & Broadway 24/7. Not saying I endorese it but maybe stations lightly used at night such as those on the Rockaway Park line for instance should be closed between 12 Midnight-6am daily.

I think they are needed too, but they need to be given more responsibilites to justify what they are paid an hour. I mean really, how many people get paid that much an hour and basically sleep most of the time?

At this point in time, you'd think that station agents would be on their best behavior, knowing all the schmucks with camera phones and a greedy ass employer who's looking for a reason to fire rank and file members. Its not like he's the first person to get filmed on camera doing something they had no business doing, and he probably wont be the last.

It keeps getting rehashed because the (MTA) keeps threatening to layoff station booth clerks, and the union keeps arguing that they are the eyes and ears of the system. Lets face it... It is hard to be the eyes and ears of the system if you are sleeping, so the story would go away if the unions stopped arguing that because this example basically defuncts that whole argument.

Like I said, sure everyone makes mistakes and I don't necessarily agree with the guy getting snitched on, but this is what happens when they keep getting put it in the spotlight. They (the union) would be better off coming up with another reason as to why they are needed.

Perhaps what the union and (MTA) should do is to find a way to make them more useful, this way the idea of eliminating them wouldn't keep coming up and they wouldn't be so bored and as a result falling asleep. I mean you can't really expect people not to fall asleep at that time of night when they have nothing to do in the booth for the most part.

I don't see what they would've done either. The guy could've gotten pissed off for being woken up out of his nap, or he could've just went back to sleep anyway. As a rider, I can understand why the person did what they did. The (MTA) is crying that they don't have money and have to raise fares, but yet they have token booth clerks earning $28.00 an hour that are basically being paid to sleep. That's why there is such outrage and the passengers are being asked to pay more. In a way it is a slap in the face to the riding public.

It really doesn't matter what the post or riders think. The MTA knows they need us that's why me and 130 other station agent's were recently reinstated. They must keep a minimum of 2500 agents working to keep their station operations a float. I've been to many stations that got booths closed and seen many honest riders basically stuck because the machine was broken and they couldn't purchase a fare. It's like I said everyone has slacked on their job before. And people always want to talk about what we get paid, I never asked the MTA to pay me that rate. They offer it, if your job offered you that rate of compensation you would take it also. You

really think those higher ups don't slack on the job with their two hour lunch breaks or getting free unrestricted passes for their families. There is far worst things going with the MTA than an agent caught sleeping. But the post or news won't report that story.

It really doesn't matter what the post or riders think. The MTA knows they need us that's why me and 130 other station agent's were recently reinstated. They must keep a minimum of 2500 agents working to keep their station operations a float. I've been to many stations that got booths closed and seen many honest riders basically stuck because the machine was broken and they couldn't purchase a fare. It's like I said everyone has slacked on their job before. And people always want to talk about what we get paid, I never asked the MTA to pay me that rate. They offer it, if your job offered you that rate of compensation you would take it also. You

really think those higher ups don't slack on the job with their two hour lunch breaks or getting free unrestricted passes for their families. There is far worst things going with the MTA than an agent caught sleeping. But the post or news won't report that story.

If it didn't matter what the riding public thinks, the (MTA) wouldn't be trying to put on this "image" that they're cutting out waste. The riding public also knows that the big wigs slack as well and they want the waste to be eliminated from the top to the bottom. No one is saying that people don't slack, but the (MTA) has been known to do this for years and years and this sort of slacking has contributed to them being in the situation that they are in now and they turn to the public to get them out of their financial mess. And yes, it does matter what the public thinks as the salaries you make do effect what they pay in terms of the fare one way or another. Of course the unions negotiate those rates, but those costs have to be passed on somewhere and if the (MTA) has to have a balanced budget, they must balance that budget on the backs of the riding public or defer it like they have been and rob Peter to pay Paul.

I just find it very interesting that it only matters what the public thinks when it benefits the workers or when the (MTA) is considering giving them the axe. I sure as heck didn't forget the agents crying to the public about how they were needed.

I naturally understand your stance on the issue since you're an (MTA) employee, but I also understand the frustration of the riding public. Outside of this forum, I doubt many people would be so supportive of the token booth clerks, especially seeing how they pleaded and argued for being kept in a time when people outside of the (MTA) are still losing their jobs left and right.

If it didn't matter what the riding public thinks, the (MTA) wouldn't be trying to put on this "image" that they're cutting out waste. The riding public also knows that the big wigs slack as well and they want the waste to be eliminated from the top to the bottom. No one is saying that people don't slack, but the (MTA) has been known to do this for years and years and this sort of slacking has contributed to them being in the situation that they are in now and they turn to the public to get them out of their financial mess. And yes, it does matter what the public thinks as the salaries you make do effect what they pay in terms of the fare one way or another. Of course the unions negotiate those rates, but those costs have to be passed on somewhere and if the (MTA) has to have a balanced budget, they must balance that budget on the backs of the riding public or defer it like they have been and rob Peter to pay Paul.

I just find it very interesting that it only matters what the public thinks when it benefits the workers or when the (MTA) is considering giving them the axe. I sure as heck didn't forget the agents crying to the public about how they were needed.

I naturally understand your stance on the issue since you're an (MTA) employee, but I also understand the frustration of the riding public. Outside of this forum, I doubt many people would be so supportive of the token booth clerks, especially seeing how they pleaded and argued for being kept in a time when people outside of the (MTA) are still losing their jobs left and right.

Listen the only reason MTA even axed anyone was because they wanted the union to give back the 3% rasie. The lay offs were a power play by the MTA. If the union had given in then not a single person would have got laid off. Fast forward 8 months later and just about 97% of the laid workers are back to work. So that shows you just how full of crap TA really is. I can understand someone's anger when they see someone slacking off. But it was 4am in the morning, what are you doing at 4am?. And it didn't look like the guy was passed out because his head was up. To me it just looks like he dozed off for a second and the person was waiting there to capture that shot. Now like I said before I'm not giving this guy a pass, but this story is lame already and there are way worst things going on with TA that cost the public much more money, but know one reports it or even seems like they care. Agent sleeping front page news, duplicate managerial positions having private security and drivers with your money small article on page 34. It's like I said the only reason agents get so much grief on this is because they are the first TA employee most people see first. Our job is a thankless job. When we are doing our job correct no one really cares much about us, but as soon we make a mistake everyone wants to burn us at the stake. And lastly what ever rate we get compensated for, the MTA agreed to pay, so that means they have the money.

Listen the only reason MTA even axed anyone was because they wanted the union to give back the 3% rasie. The lay offs were a power play by the MTA. If the union had given in then not a single person would have got laid off. Fast forward 8 months later and just about 97% of the laid workers are back to work. So that shows you just how full of crap TA really is. I can understand someone's anger when they see someone slacking off. But it was 4am in the morning, what are you doing at 4am?. And it didn't look like the guy was passed out because his head was up. To me it just looks like he dozed off for a second and the person was waiting there to capture that shot. Now like I said before I'm not giving this guy a pass, but this story is lame already and there are way worst things going on with TA that cost the public much more money, but know one reports it or even seems like they care. Agent sleeping front page news, duplicate managerial positions having private security and drivers with your money small article on page 34. It's like I said the only reason agents get so much grief on this is because they are the first TA employee most people see first. Our job is a thankless job. When we are doing our job correct no one really cares much about us, but as soon we make a mistake everyone wants to burn us at the stake. And lastly what ever rate we get compensated for, the MTA agreed to pay, so that means they have the money.

I can't remember the last time I actually used the services of a token booth clerk. Since I like to have receipts with my unlimited Express Bus Plus card and I like to use my Amex card for rewards points and such, I go to the vending machine for that. I haven't actually spoken to a token booth clerk in years. I think the last time was maybe back in 2009, because my Metrocard was giving me trouble and I needed to mail in the malfunctioning one.

I think they're certainly needed just for safety issues and to answer any questions that folks have. IMO, this guy should be warned, but not fired, esp. if his track record is clean. In any event, he won't be the last one to be caught sleeping on the job. :P

I can't remember the last time I actually used the services of a token booth clerk. Since I like to have receipts with my unlimited Express Bus Plus card and I like to use my Amex card for rewards points and such, I go to the vending machine for that. I haven't actually spoken to a token booth clerk in years. I think the last time was maybe back in 2009, because my Metrocard was giving me trouble and I needed to mail in the malfunctioning one.

I think they're certainly needed just for safety issues and to answer any questions that folks have. IMO, this guy should be warned, but not fired, esp. if his track record is clean. In any event, he won't be the last one to be caught sleeping on the job. :P

Yes, but what you have to understand is you may not come to us because you use your credit/debit cards. But millions of other people don't feel comfortable using the machines and don't have bank accounts. And also many , many tourist always come to us for help with direction, maps and help using the vending machines as well as the elderly. The riding public and the MTA seem to forget about this class of riders for some reason. This is not the time of the token when you always had to come to the booth, but that doesn't mean there should be no human presence on the station. With the invention of the ATM did banks stop employing tellers?.

Yes, but what you have to understand is you may not come to us because you use your credit/debit cards. But millions of other people don't feel comfortable using the machines and don't have bank accounts. And also many , many tourist always come to us for help with direction, maps and help using the vending machines as well as the elderly. The riding public and the MTA seem to forget about this class of riders for some reason. This is not the time of the token when you always had to come to the booth, but that doesn't mean there should be no human presence on the station. With the invention of the ATM did banks stop employing tellers?.

Read my post again... I stated the following:

"I think they're certainly needed just for safety issues and to answer any questions that folks have."

In short I was agreeing with you.

Read my post again... I stated the following:

"I think they're certainly needed just for safety issues and to answer any questions that folks have."

In short I was agreeing with you.

sorry, I didn't fully read your post. I'm rushing out the house.

Station agents are needed, but I don't think the lowest 75 stations in terms of overnight ridership need them between 1:30AM and 4AM.

As a former South Brooklyn resident, there at least '4' stations that could be in that category. 1)West 8th St (Q)(F) when Coney Island is closed 'off season' 2)Neptune Avenue (F) station 3)Bay 50th St (D) 4)Neck Rd (Q) station.

Also i seen myself at several stations traveling overnight including at 15th St-Prospect Park at 4am on a Sunday Morning basiclally snoozing over the years.

Nothing is as funny as some skell being dragged away by the cops wearing one of those t-shirts. I don't understand it, maybe it's a savage thing.

Ok. My post was a joke making fun of certain codes in areas. That would be really funny to see that though.

Another one is "tell on me bitches and end up with da fishes" (think that in an Italian greaser voice type thing)\

But to address the topic, people should mind their own damn business. If they need the S/A, just wake him up. No harm, no foul. Like the person who took the shot never slacked off in his life. We all do.

Ok. My post was a joke making fun of certain codes in areas. That would be really funny to see that though.

Another one is "tell on me bitches and end up with da fishes" (think that in an Italian greaser voice type thing)

I wasn't responding directly to you, just that whole mentality in general.

Tell me about it. I hate those goddamn camera phones. I may have a camera phone - but you'll only see photos of various things. I'm not one of those damn "gotta take a picture of everyone to humiliate them" people.

The one thing these dumbasses with camera phones forget to do is SHUT OFF the shutter sound. If you want to try to sneak a photo, at least turn it off so nobody will know. Derp.

Exactly, I use the camera feature only if my main camera's batteries die. My phone pics' quality isn't all that great anyway and I never intend on sending pics over the phone anyway. I just wait till i get home to upload it [from camera] online.

The t/o from the 7 line is back at work.

Thanks for the update. I take it probably yard duties or something [demotion]?

Exactly, I use the camera feature only if my main camera's batteries die. My phone pics' quality isn't all that great anyway and I never intend on sending pics over the phone anyway. I just wait till i get home to upload it [from camera] online.

Thanks for the update. I take it probably yard duties or something [demotion]?

nope back to his regular picked job.

i was flagging at a station one night and i woke up the sleeping agent and told him to be careful and he got mad that i woke him up. so i let it be and for the rest of the night he just slept in the booth with people walking by looking while complaining there is no service at the station.

Also in response to your earlier post, you have to remember that in this age of everyone with a camera and willing to upload it immediately to youtube or sent to NY1 or the MTA, you should go about your job assuming that you're ALWAYS being watched. That goes for pretty much anyone in these public service positions.

nope back to his regular picked job.

i was flagging at a station one night and i woke up the sleeping agent and told him to be careful and he got mad that i woke him up. so i let it be and for the rest of the night he just slept in the booth with people walking by looking while complaining there is no service at the station.

LMAO, you should have gotten him a pillow, then maybe he wouldn't have been upset with you.

Also in response to your earlier post, you have to remember that in this age of everyone with a camera and willing to upload it immediately to youtube or sent to NY1 or the MTA, you should go about your job assuming that you're ALWAYS being watched. That goes for pretty much anyone in these public service positions.

Yeah, there's no civility these days. People are just a-holes in general. "Taking pleasure at the misery of others." Obviously no excuse to slack off, but the people loading the pic/vid should 'watch their backs'. That's all. [i'm a big fan of 'karma'.]

LMAO, you should have gotten him a pillow, then maybe he wouldn't have been upset with you.

LMAO!

Thus the reason why have news stories on crap like "Snooki' or Charlie Sheen because of the news wars both on TV and the papers as well. That another topic though.

But in general good comments Buffer.

Don't laugh, 20 years ago, this guy in the ROckaways brought couch pillows with him to work at night. The whole line was asleep when I came to give them lunch on a Friday night when I first started.

Archived